Bicycle Industry Death Watch

Oct. 28, 2008, 5:08 p.m.

Which companies are gonna go belly-up in the near future? Credit crisis, falling loonie, falling consumer confidence, etc affecting our economy and the bike industry isn't immune to these pressures. So who do ya think's gonna close their doors?

BSP WVan is already closed … no idea if it is related to the latest financial issues.

:canada: :england:

Oct. 28, 2008, 5:39 p.m.

Which companies are gonna go belly-up in the near future? Credit crisis, falling loonie, falling consumer confidence, etc affecting our economy and the bike industry isn't immune to these pressures. So who do ya think's gonna close their doors?

BSP WVan is already closed … no idea if it is related to the latest financial issues.

it might have to do with them dropping giant? or a few other reasons…

Life's not a bitch, Life is a beautiful woman, you just call her a bitch cause she wont let you get that pussy.

Oct. 28, 2008, 7:22 p.m.

I think the companies that sell a variety of bikes for the consumer will do OK. Most of the bigger local brands will survive.

Bikes will sell well as much of the crunch will be felt in commuting, but boutique brands might have a tough go of it as luxury items such as $2500 frames are going to be the first things cut from people's budgets.

iforonewelcome.com

Oct. 28, 2008, 7:28 p.m.

Bikes will sell well as much of the crunch will be felt in commuting, but boutique brands might have a tough go of it as luxury items such as $2500 frames are going to be the first things cut from people's budgets.

I highly doubt that.
The people in the market for 2500dollar frames are either seriously about biking, and are decently well off, or know nothing about biking, and like to have the best gear. I don't think the fall in economy will affect those people very very much.

The business with the best customer service will win.

Oct. 28, 2008, 9:19 p.m.

I highly doubt that.
The people in the market for 2500dollar frames are either seriously about biking, and are decently well off, or know nothing about biking, and like to have the best gear. I don't think the fall in economy will affect those people very very much.

The business with the best customer service will win.

If that were true then other luxury items wouldn't suffer during economic downturns either.

iforonewelcome.com

Oct. 28, 2008, 9:52 p.m.

Hopefully a few manufacturers go under too.

Me. Car/Web Work. Twitter. FFFFound.

Oct. 28, 2008, 11:41 p.m.

Giant just posted a record for one month.

$60 million.

37 YEARS ON THE BIKE :: 1981-2018

Oct. 29, 2008, 12:39 p.m.

the reason BSP west van went belly up is cause mike is a dumbass

oh aziz you have A LOT to learn…

Oct. 29, 2008, 1:23 p.m.

Giant just posted a record for one month.

$60 million.

Doubt a company as large as Giant will go belly up, but they may feel the pinch in quarters to come.

What about all the bike shops that carry large inventories and leverage these inventories using financing from the manufacturers/distributors? Or niche component makers / clothing companies / riding services? If it gets really bad, I would bet on some major consolidation happening in this industry, which only means less choice for us riders.

:canada: :england:

Oct. 29, 2008, 2:13 p.m.

oh aziz you have A LOT to learn…

lol, well that's what i gathered from my time working there.

Life's not a bitch, Life is a beautiful woman, you just call her a bitch cause she wont let you get that pussy.

Oct. 29, 2008, 2:16 p.m.

the reason BSP west van went belly up is cause mike is a dumbass

Going from pushing their product on the internet, to insulting the staff. Class act.

Playing devil's advocate, this will force companies to work even harder for their dollar. These companies already work super hard for each buck they make, but when consumers will be forced to more closely examine the options available, perhaps the quality product will (continue!) to rise.

wow, M&M, you're a fucking dick!

don't be so politically correct, this is stacy kohut, not fucking rick hansen your talkin too……..

Oct. 29, 2008, 2:22 p.m.

The industry is in a pretty good position right now it seems. Many folks in the industry say the bike biz is largely recession-proof. I hope that's the case. We'll see I guess.

Oct. 29, 2008, 2:53 p.m.

There's a short news brief about Giant and Merida here: http://www.bikebiz.com/news/29854/Giant-and-Merida-expect-record-earnings. Basically, things for the world's #1 and 2 producers are good and they look pretty good for quarters to come. Can't say much about the other guys but since these two producers make a lot of bikes for the bigger brands things may be looking good for the other guys too…With the off season here some guys may not have access to the credit required to make it through to next year.

Oct. 29, 2008, 3:06 p.m.

not really sure how a luxury industry (mtn biking) could fair well in a recession. no job, yeah a $4000 bike is in the cards

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Oct. 29, 2008, 4:10 p.m.

not really sure how a luxury industry (mtn biking) could fair well in a recession. no job, yeah a $4000 bike is in the cards

luckily the bicycle industry is not based solely on mtn biking. There are a lot of sub markets that will benefit. Perhaps buyers aren't buying a new bike next year, but they may spend 1/2 that amount on upgrades to their current rig. Still $$ being spent, and on items that require less r'n'd.

"only the good riders wipe out on the easy stuff" - Heathen