Best tech trail to lap over and over on the shore?

July 7, 2019, 11:18 p.m.

Was thinking about how skilled many UK riders are, with the reason being that they aren't spoiled for choice or elevation, and so inevitably end up lapping and sessioning the same thing over and over. This is essentially the recipe for success in downhill, and they have bench strength to prove it.

So instead of doing an entirely different lap everytime I ride locally, and instead of only hitting each trail on that lap once (usually), what's a good tech trail that you can just smash out laps while constantly refining line choice, memory, and commitment? I feel like it cannot be Seymour because each lap takes too long. If upper Severed was steeper that might be an option (to JD/GSM), but it's something more like the bottom half I have in mind. If HSL were a black, that's what I am looking for. On Fromme the best option might be Crinkum Crankum. Any other ideas?

July 8, 2019, 12:58 a.m.

What about 7th on Fromme?  It's a bit of a slog to get up there, but once you've climbed it from a parking lot the laps of the trail itself are reasonably short?

July 8, 2019, 2:22 a.m.

Posted by: fun-house

Was thinking about how skilled many UK riders are, with the reason being that they aren't spoiled for choice or elevation, and so inevitably end up lapping and sessioning the same thing over and over. This is essentially the recipe for success in downhill, and they have bench strength to prove it.

So instead of doing an entirely different lap everytime I ride locally, and instead of only hitting each trail on that lap once (usually), what's a good tech trail that you can just smash out laps while constantly refining line choice, memory, and commitment? I feel like it cannot be Seymour because each lap takes too long. If upper Severed was steeper that might be an option (to JD/GSM), but it's something more like the bottom half I have in mind. If HSL were a black, that's what I am looking for. On Fromme the best option might be Crinkum Crankum. Any other ideas?

and yet the french are dominating hard in the last 2 years...

July 8, 2019, 6:22 a.m.

Applicator kinda works.

July 8, 2019, 7:52 a.m.

Probably too steep/tech/unique but Empress could work? Although I guess you prob aren't allowed to climb Empress Bypass anymore after the rebuild?

July 8, 2019, 8:27 a.m.

Cypress DH trails if you want to go DH fast and learn lines (Meat Sweats, etc).  Seymour and Fromme are far from DH worthy.

July 8, 2019, 8:56 a.m.

Agree on Cypress DH.

But try and bang out quick laps of Roach Clip. It's not too much of a climb to get back up to the top. it is easily one of the more technical fast descents on that side of the mountain.

July 8, 2019, 12:16 p.m.

I'm from the UK (lived in NV for 12 years) but I get bored riding the same trails over and over again so I never smashed out lap after lap. Instead, I'd suggest my skills evolved by riding trails which weren't designed with "cycling" in mind (i.e. bridleways over the top of mountains in the English lakes and North Wales or  "stalkers paths" in the Scottish Highlands). 

There's nothing like hooning down an inappropriate trail and coming around a blind corner and finding some un-expected "trail feature".

What you think is a mellow blue suddenly includes double black sized drops or holes or straight into a huge rock garden (or a gaggle of Ramblers strewn across the trail, or worse such as cows or sheep). 

All that does wonders for your reactions and anticipation! Even the most janky north shore trail have some flow compared to some of the shit I've ridden (or tried to ride) at home...

At least over here (Canada and US) you have a good idea what you are letting yourself into by the trail grading and the fact that the trail was planned around bike riding...

July 8, 2019, 12:22 p.m.

Posted by: LoamtoHome

Cypress DH trails if you want to go DH fast and learn lines (Meat Sweats, etc).  Seymour and Fromme are far from DH worthy.

This. Shuttle those east side Cypress trails... fast steep fall-line with some nice tech and line choice sections in there. You can get in a lot of laps as there is basically no traversing and the drop off/pick-up is the start and end of those trails.

July 8, 2019, 1 p.m.

Pile of Rocks? You'd have to get up there but it would be quick to lap. It's surprisingly fun.

July 8, 2019, 6:33 p.m.

Pangor or Boogieman could be lap candidates as well.

July 9, 2019, 1:14 a.m.

Thanks everyone for chiming in. To be clear, I'm not necessarily talking about DH, but Ill look into those Cypress laps some more, as long as I can avoid shuttles. Was just using those DH riders as examples of that form of developed skill. The 7th lap is too long for what Im envisioning. It's okay to slog out a pedal to get to the lap zone, but I want pretty quick laps after that. Pile of Rocks is a bit closer to the ticket. Pangor/Boogieman would take way too long. Empress is closer to the ticket, but not quite the right flavour of trail. 

I think of all things mentioned so far, I need to revisit Applicator and Roach Clip. Not even sure if I've ever ridden the latter, but 1.5km per lap with 100m elevation sounds perfect. 

Thanks folks.

PS - this could end up being a good lap for shockwiz tuning.

July 9, 2019, 7:39 a.m.

Roach Clip would fit well, plus its a wicked trail. And if you wanted some change you could easily throw in a Pull Tab or a Wild Cherry or an Upper Tall Cans here and there.

July 9, 2019, 8:11 a.m.

Posted by: fun-house

Thanks everyone for chiming in. To be clear, I'm not necessarily talking about DH, but Ill look into those Cypress laps some more, as long as I can avoid shuttles. Was just using those DH riders as examples of that form of developed skill. The 7th lap is too long for what Im envisioning. It's okay to slog out a pedal to get to the lap zone, but I want pretty quick laps after that. Pile of Rocks is a bit closer to the ticket. Pangor/Boogieman would take way too long. Empress is closer to the ticket, but not quite the right flavour of trail. 

I think of all things mentioned so far, I need to revisit Applicator and Roach Clip. Not even sure if I've ever ridden the latter, but 1.5km per lap with 100m elevation sounds perfect. 

Thanks folks.

PS - this could end up being a good lap for shockwiz tuning.

To save time on pedalling you could park at the second lookout and then bike down to the start of Roach Clip. Means less time pedalling up from the base.

FYI Roach Clip (and the rest of cypress) is totally different from anything else on the other mountains. More rocks, roots and gnar. Kind of like Lower Ladies but with way more flow. Take your first lap with care...

Once you know it its a blast though and still a good challenge for me after riding it some 500 times.

July 9, 2019, 10:32 a.m.

Penzoil on Fromme would work for doing a bunch of quick direct laps. It's got a mix of stuff on it also with the rock garden at the top and the berm corners at the bottom.