Best Place to get bike serviced

Sept. 7, 2014, 12:31 p.m.

Hey nsmb,

Sorry if this topic has been done to death, I looked around for a little bit but couldn't find much. I went to change my break pads and the back disk won't fit in between the pads, I'm sure I could fix it but don't really want to spend the time. I'm thinking it needs a bleed, bottom line is it needs something and I'm looking for a good bike shop for service. I don't mind paying a little more for better service, but I don't want to pick it up and see a new set of $500 breaks sitting on my bike. I've had pretty poor experiences in the past which drove me to spending the time to fix it myself… these days I'm short on time so I'll have to resort to this

Thanks

:canada: - Flickr

Sept. 7, 2014, 12:43 p.m.

push out the pistons carefully with a screwdriver or 10 mm hex head wrench. 5 minutes, far less time than even reading this thread.

see 1:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0ftXJHqMrs

failing that, there are lots of great shops on the shore!

Sept. 7, 2014, 12:55 p.m.

push out the pistons carefully with a screwdriver or 10 mm hex head wrench. 5 minutes, far less time than even reading this thread.

see 1:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0ftXJHqMrs

failing that, there are lots of great shops on the shore!

Spent time doing this already, I'm not that bad :P. But thanks for the reply I'm just going to bring it to nsbs typically I've had a good time with them.

:canada: - Flickr

Sept. 7, 2014, 1:54 p.m.

Bicycle hub is very good

There's no place like fromme

Sept. 7, 2014, 3:23 p.m.

LV Bikes gets my vote. Great customer service.

Sept. 7, 2014, 7:31 p.m.

Bike service is damn expensive. I live in a downtown condo and keep my bike in an offsite storage locker so pretty much anything more complex than changing a tire I bring it into the shop for service… and it's very expensive. It boggles my mind that the annual maintenance on some components is somewhat close to replacement cost. For instance - got my Reverb serviced this year and I think the service was like $70 + $90$ for labour and the parts kit, and I only paid $300 for it new!

At which shop do you guys get the best 'bang for your buck' in terms of bike maintenance?

Sept. 7, 2014, 7:39 p.m.

http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=142464

jesus, no posts in almost two years… anyway, lots of recommendations and commendations in that thread

At which shop do you guys get the best 'bang for your buck' in terms of bike maintenance?

at the ones that trade service for beer, duh

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Sept. 7, 2014, 7:54 p.m.

Bike service is damn expensive. I live in a downtown condo and keep my bike in an offsite storage locker so pretty much anything more complex than changing a tire I bring it into the shop for service… and it's very expensive. It boggles my mind that the annual maintenance on some components is somewhat close to replacement cost. For instance - got my Reverb serviced this year and I think the service was like $70 + $90$ for labour and the parts kit, and I only paid $300 for it new!

MSRP isn't $300 though is it? It's nearer $500 IIRC. I agree that small parts costs can be a bit 'out there', but if you want someone to do a good job on your high end stuff, then surely it's better to pay for a decent mechanic to do it?

treezz
wow you are a ass

Sept. 7, 2014, 8:37 p.m.

Go see Rick , Ken and co at Lynn Valley Bike shop.

your bike will work good , you will feel good as well.

Sept. 7, 2014, 8:39 p.m.

Rick at Lynn Valley Bikes, hands down.

Sept. 7, 2014, 10:10 p.m.

Obsession does it right.

Go see Lou, or post in the "Ask Lou" thread on NSMB.

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

Sept. 7, 2014, 11:58 p.m.

Another vote for the Dave at the Bicycle Hub. He get's it done! I've never been disappointed with the quality of service I receive there.

Sept. 8, 2014, 1:42 p.m.

For the stuck pistons, I'm assuming you have the wheel off right? I struggled with this the first time I changed my pads. The trick is having the wheel off so you can pass through something flat (to not damage the pistons by pressing unevenly). I used a small spanner wrench, put it across the piston and just pulled back and the pistons moved easily. Do not try to apply pressure unevenly or into the middle of the piston with a screwdriver, it won't work and it will damage it.