Best “bang for your buck” descents?

July 11, 2018, 9:51 p.m.

Now that I’ve been riding a mountain bike for a decent number of years I’ve come to the realization that I prefer longer descents with a more gentle grade, purely for the fact that it makes the ride longer and more substantial, and therefore, more enjoyable to me. I like riding the super steep and technical trails just as much as anyone else, but I really hate the concept of grinding up a fire road for 30-60 mins only to be dragging my brakes down a 5 min super steep descent – it's over way too quickly and seems like such a waste of the climb.

On the Shore, my go to routes are either 7th > Leopard > Crinkum > Kirkford > Griffen or Dales > Forever After > HSL. Both of these routes are what I am talking about in terms of a more gentle grade that offers a good bang for your buck descent for the initial climb.

Do you guys have any other recommendations for routes that fall into this category? Either on the Shore or in the Fraser Valley or Sea 2 Sky region?

July 11, 2018, 9:57 p.m.

Jesus invented chairlifts for this very reason.

July 11, 2018, 10 p.m.

On fromme. Park at Braemar and climb up dempsey, st mary's, skid road, dreamweaver to ramble on. Then up the road to oil can upper and lower, then lower crippler.

I like pangor on seymour so will do a figure 8, up old buck, across on the baden, down pangor across to good sir martin and then down dales/forever after etc. I usually park at the bottom of high school for that route and start the day traversing the bridle path over to old buck, but it can be done either way.

July 11, 2018, 10:01 p.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

Are you sure it wasn't SATAN!!!!!!

I think Jesus invented the granny gear and carbon fiber.

July 11, 2018, 10:04 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Posted by: ReductiMat

Are you sure it wasn't SATAN!!!!!!

I think Jesus invented the granny gear and carbon fiber.

100% certain.

July 11, 2018, 10:13 p.m.

Have you thought about SFU/Bby Mtn at all? The thing I really like about SFU is the ability to string together multiple loops without hitting the same trail twice in the same direction. You also have options of climbing  techy singletrack or gravel path/fireroad type ascents. You can also pull off relatively quick cllimbs - 15 minutes - before heading down. I think for more mellow rides SFU is a great place that offers a lot considering it's low elevation in comparison to the Shore. If you want to get out for a lap to learn the layout of the mtn feel free to drop me a pm.

July 11, 2018, 11:52 p.m.

You could add Cabin Trail/TNT to your Seymour lap for an even long descent, although it's not super fun to climb up mushroom.

July 12, 2018, 7:08 a.m.

I like hitting c-buster or asian adonis, then going up penny/first part of gsm to john deer.  That bit of climbing in between always feels short relative to the descending.  Really it's just tricking your brain because there's no free lunch there, but I find it feels efficient.

July 12, 2018, 8:15 a.m.

knob gobbler- squid line in sumas.

July 12, 2018, 9:12 a.m.

In addition to what has been mentioned:

Executioner - Dreamweaver (Fromme)

Blind Skier - SGS - Slippery Canoe - Pull Tab - Upper Tall Cans - Wutang (Cypress)

Noodley Appendage (Ledgeview)

2Cents - Skidder - Terdferg - New Mexico - Electric Lettuce - Mango Mango - Femur (Vedder)

IMBA Smart - Fred - Tinder - Your Mom (Squamish)

Business Time (Whistler)

Econoline - EconoDave - Dark Forest - Waterfall - Crosstown Traffic (Pemberton)

July 12, 2018, 10:07 a.m.

Corkscrew-Pingu-Pangor-Empress Bypass

If going up to Corkscrew via BP & Mushroom, I break up the climb by doing the Severed-Upper John Deer-GSM loop as a warm up.

July 12, 2018, 10:16 a.m.

Posted by: skidrc

knob gobbler- squid line in sumas.

^^^ This has to be the winner. I'm a mediocre climber and it was about an hour from parking lot to top of Knob (7km/500m elevation FSR). Took me about 15 min down Knob (first time, inspected a few moves) and then just under 30 min cruising down Squid Line at a comfortable pace with a couple breaks to take pics. I also added on Noah Fear before dropping into Squid, only adds maybe 10 min climbing back up...

July 12, 2018, 10:22 a.m.

Posted by: D_C_

Blind Skier - SGS - Slippery Canoe - Pull Tab - Upper Tall Cans - Wutang (Cypress)

2Cents - Skidder - Terdferg - New Mexico - Electric Lettuce - Mango Mango - Femur (Vedder)

Business Time (Whistler)

Thanks for all the suggestions - I've ridden a lot of those above and really like them. I rode Business Time for the first time recently and was really impressed... although I found a lot of the little climbing sections quite challenging. If I was a slightly more fit rider that would probably be my ideal trail - technically challenging but overall gentle grade so the ride lasts a while. The Foreplay descent portion of Comfortably Numb was also another good "bang for your buck" descent. Seems like these types of trails are more common in Squamish & Whistler but harder to find on the Shore. Obviously the natural terrain plays a huge factor.

July 12, 2018, 1:51 p.m.

Knob Gobbler > the Sauces > Emma Peel on Sumas

Recycle > Fred > Word of Mouth in Squamish ( though WOM does include several short/steep climbs in the second half which can be a killer if you've gone full gas previously)

July 13, 2018, 7:28 a.m.

Posted by: Bull_Dozer

Posted by: D_C_

Business Time (Whistler)

Thanks for all the suggestions - I've ridden a lot of those above and really like them. I rode Business Time for the first time recently and was really impressed... although I found a lot of the little climbing sections quite challenging. If I was a slightly more fit rider that would probably be my ideal trail - technically challenging but overall gentle grade so the ride lasts a while. The Foreplay descent portion of Comfortably Numb was also another good "bang for your buck" descent. Seems like these types of trails are more common in Squamish & Whistler but harder to find on the Shore. Obviously the natural terrain plays a huge factor.

Yummy Numby to Golden Door-Jeff's trail is pretty good value too, but more technical than IBT