Beginnerish at Fromme and Seymour

June 1, 2012, 4:39 p.m.

watch out for the drowned hobo carcass.

I cut my chops on Griffen back when I was a kid, its still my go to trail for introducing my friends to the shore. Even Natural High isn't a bad choice, everything on there has a ride around.

June 1, 2012, 4:48 p.m.

I've never ridden it…. just can't get my head around it… and I'm ok with that!

Plus I've seen some HEINOUS crashes on it!

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

June 1, 2012, 4:50 p.m.

Really?! I assumed all you shore locals just cruised over it and have been cursing myself every time I wuss out!

Cheers Ben

June 1, 2012, 4:51 p.m.

Really?! I assumed all you shore locals just cruised over it and have been cursing myself every time I wuss out!

Cheers Ben

I just have images of my tire going into one of those ruts and game over!

June 1, 2012, 5:02 p.m.

I'm pretty much a shore newb. I have successfully ridden it once and a couple of times come off the bike but somehow managed to balance on the wood. A few other times I have not made it over the canoe log and then walked the teeter. I have yet to end up in the swamp but it's just about summer so probably time to give it another go.

Put your goodies in a zip-loc bag and your excuse is gone!

Cheers Ben

I do use a zip-loc but still don't want to risk it! Maybe I'll double bag it…

I think the canoe log entrance scares me more than the actual teeter-totter itself. Maybe I will man-up and give it a try this weekend!

June 1, 2012, 5:05 p.m.

I do use a zip-loc but still don't want to risk it! Maybe I'll double bag it…

I think the canoe log entrance scares me more than the actual teeter-totter itself. Maybe I will man-up and give it a try this weekend!

ya, I walk the log, then ride the teeter totter. I can't ride from the log onto the TT so technically I fail.

June 1, 2012, 5:29 p.m.

Nope, it's rated what it is, intermediate/advanced, but that doesn't made it a bad xc trail as has been noted!

Sharon, I think for some this is the issue of translating local trail difficulty. While what the shore calls intermediate or blue square other places label it say double black diamond or advanced.

To the OP, try hooking up with a shop ride. Or post up in the ride section to hook up with some board members to show you stuff.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

June 2, 2012, 5:50 p.m.

Thanks people, I'm gonna get leg protection then hit burnaby tomorrow. I'm using flats already and my tyres are pretty wide and knobbly so the only other investments I can look at short term are the short stem and the 2 ring and bash guard combo which I'll look into in the next couple of weeks…think the stem is quite long actually.

My fitness is pretty awesome so no worries there - happy to put in the uphill. If Anyones familiar with riding in the UK, I've ridden extensively in the north downs, ridden all of Afan Argoed, and dragons back up at brechfa, also lots of natural riding in the lakes and the North Face trail a couple of times at Grizedale…I didn't THINK I was a beginner…:-)

Anyway thanks again for the tips, after burnaby I'll try out some of the lower trails mentioned, and will definitely look into some group rides via the shops.

I'm fine with steep btw, just get a bit shit scared when it's boulderey and for example there's no clear run-out from a small drop…just more boulders! I'm gettin better at riding on wood but the narrowness and height of a couple of bits on pipeline also put the willies up me a bit. I feel I've got some decent direction now though so thanks again.

July 30, 2012, 10:21 a.m.

UPDATE (like anyone's REALLY interested),

So, since posting here I joined with 'Shore Nation', a new MTB group run from John Henry that gooes on a Wed, there are a few experience levels, I go with the advanced XC group and have ridden

Richard Juryn (to death)
Ridge Runner
Candy
Circuit 8
Bottle Top (only hiked the very last steep bit)
The last bit of NEDs

and I've been back up to Fromme a few times on my own and ridden

Bobsled (I now go off the left rollerver and the step at the start, both of which I used to miss)
Floppy Bunny (hitting more of the woodwork and small drops)
Natural high (miss most of the elevated wood - I did cross the bridge over the swamp for the first time yesterday
Lower Griffin - I'm still on a long stem and one of the tight corners will normally chuck me over the side, but I've got killer knee pads now so all good.

I feel that say Bottle Top and Lower Griffen are close to the edge of my ability, but I'm pleased to say every time I repeat a trail I'm managing to incorporate an extra feature or 2, get a few inches of air here and there or just ride it a bit more aggressively.

Having done these, my question is this. When I go back up to Fromme, what are some good trails to ride at this sort of level now? Still ideally slightly less challenging than Pipeline. Is Oilcan a good one?

July 30, 2012, 1:56 p.m.

UPDATE (like anyone's REALLY interested),

So, since posting here I joined with 'Shore Nation', a new MTB group run from John Henry that gooes on a Wed, there are a few experience levels, I go with the advanced XC group and have ridden

Richard Juryn (to death)
Ridge Runner
Candy
Circuit 8
Bottle Top (only hiked the very last steep bit)
The last bit of NEDs

and I've been back up to Fromme a few times on my own and ridden

Bobsled (I now go off the left rollerver and the step at the start, both of which I used to miss)
Floppy Bunny (hitting more of the woodwork and small drops)
Natural high (miss most of the elevated wood - I did cross the bridge over the swamp for the first time yesterday
Lower Griffin - I'm still on a long stem and one of the tight corners will normally chuck me over the side, but I've got killer knee pads now so all good.

I feel that say Bottle Top and Lower Griffen are close to the edge of my ability, but I'm pleased to say every time I repeat a trail I'm managing to incorporate an extra feature or 2, get a few inches of air here and there or just ride it a bit more aggressively.

Having done these, my question is this. When I go back up to Fromme, what are some good trails to ride at this sort of level now? Still ideally slightly less challenging than Pipeline. Is Oilcan a good one?

Aside from the lower trails you mention, I think 7th to Lower Oilcan is the easiest route down the mountain.

July 30, 2012, 2:46 p.m.

The gnarly canoe log messed with my head the first few times I rode the trail, and I had to walk. Then one day I finally got the guts to ride it, and went no problem. That log looks ridiculous, but there's something about the way the ruts funnel you in that it always seems to work out!

The only time I've crashed there was when I got cocky on a wet day a couple winters back, and went to manual off the teeter totter. Whoooosh right off the trail :lol:

Hope your adventuring is going well OP!

Bicycles!

July 30, 2012, 4:09 p.m.

RCPtotheface

I'd just keep doing the trails you have mentioned for the next for months. Sounds like your going in the right directions. A few things I'd like to mention.

The NS is missing a few difficulty rungs in its ladder. If you're looking to add to your list of trails then I recommend Gear Jammer/Upper Cut/Lower Snake and Nicoles on BBY MTN. Triple Crown on Burke is nice loamy and flowy.

If you are looking to do more fromme, then 7th is a good place to start getting more advance. The nice thing there is that if you have a bad day on 7th there are still options like bobsled and floppy when you're done. I'd stay off Crinkum Crankum and Kirkford for now. IF you have a really good day on 7th, then you may be ready for pipeline again, or lower oilcan if its dry.

Neds is another good trail to build confidence on. But thats after you are comfortable on Bobsled, floppy and Nicoles.

Lastly, I hope you are riding with a friend.

July 30, 2012, 10:24 p.m.

Speed is your friend on the Heron Teeter Totter. It always messed me up and then I saw cross country yobo with a beanie helmet and no armor rip over it at a fairly fast pace. I've nailed it every time since. Seems counter intuitive but speed helps.

July 31, 2012, 9:21 a.m.

Speed is your friend on the Heron Teeter Totter. It always messed me up and then I saw cross country yobo with a beanie helmet and no armor rip over it at a fairly fast pace. I've nailed it every time since. Seems counter intuitive but speed helps.

Yes more often than not speed or momentum is very helpful. You will clean things more often and crash less but when you do inevitably screw up, you crash better.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Aug. 13, 2012, 12:44 p.m.

I was gonna go and check out Griffen later (have ridden Bobsled, FB, Natural High - minus the features - and the end of Griffen to death) but how do you get onto the upper part of Griffen? Where the entrance appears on my map (corner of first SB) the only clearly marked trail is Cedar Trail?