Beginnerish at Fromme and Seymour

May 31, 2012, 3:30 p.m.

Oh, and consider switching to flats [HTML_REMOVED] 5:10's rather than SPDs if that's what your running, and drop your saddle

Don't listen SPDs are fine for all riding!

The raw, primitive, unrefined trails that see little to no maintenance are the kinds of trails that really build skill. What kind of skills do you learn riding a trail that was made by a machine, groomed to perfection and void of any rocks, roots or other obstacles that could send you careening over the handlebars?

May 31, 2012, 3:54 p.m.

Bobsled is a fun rip and all, but I don't think it prepares you for shore riding at all.

Maybe times have changed a bit, but this is how I learned:

I'd start with upper and lower Griffen until you're comfortable (if on bby mtn, north road and dead moped). Then ride Nicole's on bby mtn until it's trivial. When you can hit Nicole's without a foot down, you're ready for pipeline (it'll still own you, but you'll have enough experience to make good decisions). You don't need to stick to just these, but if you do them a lot, you'll find them easy in no time and you'll be well prepared for the shore.

I don't know what your fitness level is, but i'd strongly recommend riding up to each of these instead of shuttling. The fitness makes a big difference on the downs. Riding up north road is also a great way to pick up tech skills.

There's no place like fromme

May 31, 2012, 4:12 p.m.

My first ride on the shore was incline to boogeyman to empress. It's a great beginner loop because after that everything else seemed doable. I'm not a great role model though so don't follow me.

Seriously though you might want to check out a group ride with a club like nsride ( or the bunnies if you're a girl), or come out for the next NSMBA toonie in July. Most of the Toonie routes are kept intermediate and can teach you some new loops. Last years Floppy griffin Toonie would be a good beginner ride on fromme.

"The third race is water towers to floppy bunny, down FB, left on mountain highway, right on little connector trail that is just a few seconds up the hwy, left on roadside attraction, right on griffen, continue on lower griffen, right going back up king of the shore and left on the connector to the water towers."

May 31, 2012, 4:54 p.m.

Severed is Black Diamond XC
so why does xc mean beginner to many of you?
xc can be hard and challenging too, just look at the latest World Cup courses or even the NImby
Severed goes down, up, down, flat, up, down, flat, down, down, flat… seems pretty xc to me

May 31, 2012, 5:14 p.m.

Severed is Black Diamond XC
so why does xc mean beginner to many of you?
xc can be hard and challenging too, just look at the latest World Cup courses or even the NImby
Severed goes down, up, down, flat, up, down, flat, down, down, flat… seems pretty xc to me

Agreed but I think what most people are pointing out is that it probably not wise to point a shore virgin on an XC bike to something as demanding as Severed to pop their cherry…

June 1, 2012, 9:01 a.m.

Do check out the Richard Juryn trails too. Definitely an easier start, and still is a good place for
a quick rip when time is short. End of the line, over to lilooet road, to the bottom of RJ, then left on
Baden Powell, back up along backside and do another loop, great for a couple loops and good place to
start skill progression.

June 1, 2012, 9:19 a.m.

Severed is no beginner trail. Lots of steeps, drops and tight corners. Those log rolls would kill a beginner. I hope the book doesn't have it as a beginner trail.

Nope, it's rated what it is, intermediate/advanced, but that doesn't made it a bad xc trail as has been noted!

There are lots of suggestions And recommended routes for beginner rides in the locals' guide.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

June 1, 2012, 9:32 a.m.

If you are used to and comfortable on SPD pedals you will probably hate flats. They suck for serious climbing too. Where flats are good though is where you want to step off a lot. A shorter stem might make sense if you are all long and low now. Wider bars are great too. I think I have a 685 on one bike and and a 730 on the other and I am not a big guy. I would never a run anything as short as 60mm on my bikes because I have longish arms and that short would put me in a shitty position. You can't make a blanket fit statement like that.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

June 1, 2012, 10:58 a.m.

I always find Pangor easier and more fun than Severed, more fun and flowy sections.

June 1, 2012, 3:34 p.m.

Probably going to get ripped on for this, but is there a ride around for the teeter-totter that goes over the water on Ladies Only? I always carry my phone, keys, wallet, etc. in my pack and can't afford to fall in the water! Does everyone else ride it or are there others in my boat? Right now I usually just walk my bike across the teeter-totter, is there an easier way around it?

June 1, 2012, 3:37 p.m.

Probably going to get ripped on for this, but is there a ride around for the teeter-totter that goes over the water on Ladies Only? I always carry my phone, keys, wallet, etc. in my pack and can't afford to fall in the water! Does everyone else ride it or are there others in my boat? Right now I usually just walk my bike across the teeter-totter, is there an easier way around it?

no. He filled the pond too to make sure there wouldn't be a ride around! Don't bother trying to put one in, he'll just take it out.

That's the way it should be on the shore though… if you can't ride it, walk it.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

June 1, 2012, 3:49 p.m.

no. He filled the pond too to make sure there wouldn't be a ride around! Don't bother trying to put one in, he'll just take it out.

That's the way it should be on the shore though… if you can't ride it, walk it.

Fair enough… do most people ride it? The rest of the trail I don't find overly difficult aside from the teeter-totter. The teeter-totter doesnt even look too difficult actually, just can't risk the consequences.

June 1, 2012, 3:52 p.m.

Fair enough… do most people ride it? The rest of the trail I don't find overly difficult aside from the teeter-totter. The teeter-totter doesnt even look too difficult actually, just can't risk the consequences.

I'm pretty much a shore newb. I have successfully ridden it once and a couple of times come off the bike but somehow managed to balance on the wood. A few other times I have not made it over the canoe log and then walked the teeter. I have yet to end up in the swamp but it's just about summer so probably time to give it another go.

Put your goodies in a zip-loc bag and your excuse is gone!

Cheers Ben

June 1, 2012, 3:55 p.m.

Two options:
Walk
or

June 1, 2012, 3:56 p.m.

I hear there's leeches in there!

Wrong. Always.