Bears On Fromme!

July 9, 2005, 8:10 p.m.

hey when was up on fromme between upper oil can and 7th secret i spotted 2 bear cubs on abot 10 feet away from me and the other about 15…:dead:

i remembered that cubs normally travel with there mothers and they are very protective of there cubs…. i dident see the mother cause i was do busy pedaling in the other direction…..

i warned a couple people about the bears on the way down…

this is the first time ive ever seen bears up on fromme….
is it normal this time of year to get bears up there im not sure because i just started doing the higher traild again….

Im Just A Guy Stoaked On Riding:canada:

July 9, 2005, 9:42 p.m.

ive been up there lots and never seen one

July 9, 2005, 10:06 p.m.

yup , ordinarily they are on the other side of the mountain , to see what they can see . . .

July 9, 2005, 11:48 p.m.

I sometimes wonder what it would be like to be attacked by one when wearing full gear.

I think, in such a situation I would even more glad to be wearing a full face helmet; it would probably help.

Btw, I do realized that the chances of being it attack is very minimal; it was just worth a thought.

Pedro

Pedro does bring up some good points, but being only one R off of Pedo …. discounts much of that

"ANYONE can have the American dream…but not EVERYONE can have the American dream"

"Looking for a fight, look a gypsy in the eye…"

July 10, 2005, 12:04 a.m.

I'm riding up there tomorrow, probably once to 7th then back up to UOC, so I'll keep my eyes open.

July 10, 2005, 12:18 a.m.

I sometimes wonder what it would be like to be attacked by one when wearing full gear.

I think, in such a situation I would even more glad to be wearing a full face helmet; it would probably help.

Btw, I do realized that the chances of being it attack is very minimal; it was just worth a thought.

Pedro

the full face may help. protect your neck. the other armour would be useless

turn off sigs…it will change your life

July 10, 2005, 12:49 a.m.

I almost quite literally ran into a bear in whistler once. It was about 4 years ago on Bline. Came around a blind corner and there was a bear sitting in the middle of the path. I think he was just as scared as I was. He took off. As long as you're making noise you should be fine.

-StuKen

always cheap but never free
Tuff DVD 8$

July 10, 2005, 7:02 a.m.

As long as you're making noise you should be fine.
-StuKen

Lots of "yaaaaaah, huh's, yippee, Super, cool… oh man, yeeeeeeehhhhaaa" 's on the way down should help warn them of your presence! :)

July 10, 2005, 11:14 a.m.

Pedro

The helmut wouldn't help much. They like to eat you from the stomach first as it is tastier than the hard head. They save that for later. As for the rest of your protective armor, they use that for dental floss after they are done. :dead:

Beer, Beer, magical drink. The more I drink, the more interesting others get :drunk:

July 10, 2005, 12:27 p.m.

If black bears do attack you, I don't think they have the intention of eating you; grizzlies might, but black bears attack you simply out of fear and to protect their young.

I just assumed that they would like the head because quite often when there are bear attacks, you do hear that the person's scalp or face was injured.

Pedro does bring up some good points, but being only one R off of Pedo …. discounts much of that

"ANYONE can have the American dream…but not EVERYONE can have the American dream"

"Looking for a fight, look a gypsy in the eye…"

July 10, 2005, 12:28 p.m.

another thing… i was on my way UP i had all my armour on my back…

and for the attack thing… they were 2 cubs and looked pretty suprized to see me…

but the thing is the mom… i learned in school that the mother is VERY protective of her cubs so when i relized that the cubs were backing away i was afrade that a fully grown angry bear was gonna come after me….:dead:

you should of seen how fast i was going down the 7th and 6th switchbacks…..

Im Just A Guy Stoaked On Riding:canada:

July 10, 2005, 1:32 p.m.

stubs jumped over a bear on whistler in the boneyard

Trin, rip 27/11/05

Reading comprehension > you.

July 10, 2005, 1:52 p.m.

Yo Cobster

Those bears, Mom and 2 cubs are living on the this side of Fromme right now, and everyone should be on the look-out. I live right below MVP in a strata, and they were in my garbage dumpster on wednesday night. they also chased my mail-lady on thursday AM. She told my wife about them when she dropped off our mail. She knows we have 2 small kids and she wanted to warn us. We called animal control, and so did the Mail-person, they said it was like their 15th call that week about the 3 bears and that they are looking for them. So now we know were they are. there in the woods right by Seveth.

Everyone - beware.
if you get between the mom and the cubs, get your ass outta there. that is the worst place to be. otherwise, they are not too much of a threat.

Oh yeah, If you see the cubs, Mom is close by, whatever you do, do not make it look like you are heading for the cubs, She will take it as an attack, and she'll come out swinging. I don't think the helmet will help to much either, cause a hit from a bear is like a hit from a truck, and you may not get scratched, but your neck might just snap.

The King of E-Ville
Welcome to "E-ville"
population "Me"

July 10, 2005, 1:54 p.m.

no offense or anything, but a "bear on fromme" thread is pretty much as usfull as a "water in the bathtub!"

its a freakin mountian, be aware

but its great that your letting us know that you saw one

yo

July 10, 2005, 3:32 p.m.

i did a solo foray up Fromme today and didn't see any bears. did a run down 7th / leopard / crinkum then back up to UOC then pipeline. what a beautiful day for a ride. :)