BC government policy on bike trails

Jan. 13, 2009, 6:11 p.m.

Well I made the trip to North Van to hear the wisdom.

My take away was there are some good intentions and ideas there but the two main obstacles are funding and the giant [HTML_REMOVED]#8220;LIABILITY[HTML_REMOVED]#8221; Bogeyman that lurks in the woods.
Even funding wouldn[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;t be such an issue since there is a large army of folks happy to work for free to create and enjoy wilderness trails, except we all have to hide from the Bogeyman.

Maybe even if this government initiative never gets completed we could still work to make some progress as individuals and groups.Here[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s my layman[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s draft strategy I have been working on for over 10 minutes at a cost of one beer.
A) Mobilize to work toward banishing the Liability Bogeyman who is spoiling the party for all of us including almost all other sports and activities including school field trips, etc.
o Call, write, or visit politicians at all levels to let them know the public is sick of individuals that refuse to accept responsibility for their own actions and want to sue anyone and everyone at any opportunity.
o Someone at the meeting mentioned there is a good example of legislation already in progress in other places to limit liability but I can[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;t remember the name of the act. Can we leverage this?

o Get a Facebook or similar group started since people from all walks of life are affected by senseless litigation.
B) Begin informal meetings between hiking, biking, and motorsports clubs to come to some local agreements on divvying up the local trails and encouraging some kind of respect for each others trails. Hopefully the clubs would spread the love amongst their brethren to respect specific use trails
C) Trail building standards will be necessary to keep everyone happy especially if we want some new reduced liability legislation to work. I[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;d like to see all users accept their own risk and view official signed trails as maybe just a bit safer.
D) In the meantime be happy and keep working on the trails even if it has to be done in secret to avoid the bogeyman. Maintaining trails is an enjoyment in itself and even if proper recognition can[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;t be given due to the liability it appreciated by all.

Jan. 13, 2009, 7:24 p.m.

Someone at the meeting mentioned there is a good example of legislation already in progress in other places to limit liability but I can

River City Cycle Club - www.rivercitycycle.ca

Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

Jan. 14, 2009, 1:50 p.m.

"Volunteers who are significantly affected by alcohol or drugs are not protected. "

We might need to insert a shuttlewhore clause in that Act then.

I ride Bikes

Jan. 15, 2009, 8:22 p.m.

"Volunteers who are significantly affected by alcohol OR drugs are not protected. "

The loophole to this, is to be affected by drugs AND alcohol.

Jan. 15, 2009, 8:44 p.m.

The loophole to this, is to be affected by drugs AND alcohol.

and, "significantly"

Jan. 24, 2009, 12:56 a.m.

Helloooooo???

Jan. 28, 2009, 11:34 p.m.

Wow - this thread is over 2 year old. Speed of government…has anything really happened? Lots of out of work loggers and builders….who's ready to direct those make work contracts towards trail building like the FRBC and E-Team days?

ride, build, ride some more….

Jan. 28, 2009, 11:38 p.m.

who's ready to direct those make work contracts towards trail building like the FRBC and E-Team days?

There's a few ideas kicking around here, as Campbell River qualifies for funding as a forestry dependent community.

May 16, 2009, 9:17 p.m.

Anyone else making progress on this topic?

We're putting in a proposal next week to get funding for trail maintainance and hooking up our trails to 2 provincial parks (will make for some epic rides).

We've also started discussions with MoTCA about designating our trails non-motorized and having the club adopting the trails.

exciting times in CR.

May 18, 2009, 11:14 a.m.

Interested on how the NDP vs LIBERALS view the mountain bike scene. Who would be more supportive?

I'd say the NDP as the liberals seem to be more concerned with harvesting our forests and the harvesting companies don't want anyone playing on their land. It's gotten so bad with Timberwest and Island Timberlands here on the island. Would be nice if they'd jump on board as a lot of good mountain bike trails get logged after all the hard work of putting them in. We're still waiting to see if the lower face of Mount Beson will be logged. A practice not allowed in the previous 70 years as it will be a MAJOR scar for all to see.

WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH.

May 18, 2009, 11:55 p.m.

As much as I will miss somethings.

Good. Too many free loaders and coasters on the trails anyways.