BC COVID Restrictions

April 23, 2021, 6:25 p.m.

Yeah, last I heard 0.024% of the total of Mainlanders who were up in Whistler non-stop are invading the North Shore right now.

Cut the crap, just say you want to ignore the request and you're gonna go wherever you want.

April 23, 2021, 9:04 p.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

Yeah, last I heard 0.024% of the total of Mainlanders who were up in Whistler non-stop are invading the North Shore right now.

Cut the crap, just say you want to ignore the request and you're gonna go wherever you want.

Sounds like that's what a lot of folks have been doing / will be doing anyways.

April 23, 2021, 10:29 p.m.

Posted by: LoamtoHome

once Microclimate opens up, I'm there baby.  Lots of Whistler/Squamish Youtubers coming down to the NS to ride and no one says anything.

Maybe its time to unfollow and stop the view counts and likes.

April 24, 2021, 11:04 a.m.

once Microclimate opens up, I'm there baby.  Lots of Whistler/Squamish Youtubers coming down to the NS to ride and no one says anything.

Sure, other people are being doofuses, you might as well be one too I guess.

April 24, 2021, 1:18 p.m.

With the current snow levels that’s at least a month off if not more to let it dry out and be repaired and prepared for the summer onslaught of bros.

April 24, 2021, 8:14 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

This is a good point, but it brings up the argument of what is unsafe? People can have accidental falls in the bathtub, on the stairs or even just walking down the street. And of course there are car accidents and workplace injuries too. I'm all for reducing risk, but there is room for responsible recreation.

Totally, I'm all for advocating for doing what you need to do to maintain your health in these challenging times, and I totally get that everyone's needs are going to be different. All of the Covid restrictions to this point have made an attempt to be black and white with a bit of grey, because no one solution will work the same for everybody. When there is too much grey we complain about lack of clarity, confusion, and soft handedness. When it's more black and white, we (myself included) look for holes and flaws, and even technicalities in interpretation to allow us to work with what is most convenient in our livelihoods.

In our day to day lives there are certain things we have control over, and many things we don't. All I'm saying is just to control what is within your control, and if everybody did that to their honest best extent, it may lead us to a better place.

April 26, 2021, 7:39 a.m.

To reduce the spread of the virus:

Less movement is better.  We all know this now  

Certain communities have requested you stay away.  They’re doing this for good reason. Everyone knows this now.

Some regions in the lower mainland are epicenters of variants right now, making it critical that populations in those areas stay put, in order to protect the areas where they aren’t present yet.  Everyone knows this now as well.

The restrictions are a light touch compared to what’s actually required to control the spread, if you read the news you know this as well.

You’re allowed to move around a fair amount, but you don’t actually have the right to unfettered movement in Canada, see section 1 of our charter.

I love mountain biking, but many of us are missing out on riding AND we get closer to bankruptcy every day this drags on.  Many of us don’t have the luxury of working from home or otherwise hiding until this all blows over so it matters how much virus is floating around.  If the mental health impact from not riding is a significant concern to you right now you have it good and we need your help.

Please do everything you can, not just the minimum required by law.

April 26, 2021, 9:23 a.m.

If it wasn't before Covid, it should be abundantly clear to everyone now that the government(s) only make decisions based on money; They chose not to do an enforced quarantine a year ago as it the cost to industry is too high. Don't go to Whistler now that the mountain is closed. Don't ride loamers but the clear cut for the development is environmentally sound.....

It is clear that we need use our own moral compass within the black and white of the law. Where there is grey expect a variety of responses.

April 26, 2021, 9:56 a.m.

Well that’s false, but I guess it gives you someone to blame so I can see why it’s an attractive conclusion.

April 26, 2021, 10:23 a.m.

Educate me then. 

All I can see is all levels of the govt half ass-ing things and letting it drag out. Last week it's don't travel at all, then a few days later its Vancouver coastal health and Fraser are one and can travel freely.... ok so the same as before for people being sensible. 

I am not planning on going to Whistler for non essential travel, and I didn't when the hill was open, even though I had an edge card and it was ok with the Whistler community at that point.  But I could have, and still could without any issues by the last order I heard.

April 26, 2021, 3:35 p.m.

It’s the decisions are only based on money part.

I know a lot of people in government, they are genuinely trying to do their best for their fellow citizens. The politicians, maybe not, but the government is mostly run by the bureaucracy here.

I agree that our governments response has been weak. I don’t think our population would tolerate a strong response however.

Hence my post imploring people to do as much as possible, as opposed to just not breaking the rules.

Last edited by: tashi on April 26, 2021, 3:49 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
June 23, 2021, 2:31 p.m.

So is Quarry Rock still closed? Or are we waiting for daily Covid cases to get into the single digits for it to reopen? Probably will be able to go to a sold out Canucks game before hiking Quarry Rock again...

Last edited by: Bull_Dozer on June 23, 2021, 2:33 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 23, 2021, 2:44 p.m.

word on the street is that Quarry Rock is/will be permanently "closed".  Too much of a shit show and the environmental damage is huge.

June 23, 2021, 2:56 p.m.

word on the street is that Quarry Rock is/will be permanently "closed".  Too much of a shit show and the environmental damage is huge.

Not sure if that's a serious comment or not...? Assuming it is serious, what do you mean by environmental damage? Bunch of people walking on a relatively short path in the woods is an issue... to what?

June 23, 2021, 3:09 p.m.

Lol Deep Cove parking.  The residents love it “closed”, Im sure!