BC COVID Restrictions

April 23, 2021, 9:27 a.m.

I live in East Van and have made the decision to avoid hitting the shore for the time being, I personally need to protect my family from exposure and myself, being in my mid 40's. I don't like it, but its what I need to do from a selfish perspective and it happens to coincide with doing a solid for the greater community of people that live and work in Greater Vancouver. To me the only clear path to putting COVID in the rear view mirror is doing my part and reducing my interaction with others where ever and whenever possible (and getting vaccinated).

April 23, 2021, 12:18 p.m.

Posted by: Sanchez321

I live in East Van and have made the decision to avoid hitting the shore for the time being, I personally need to protect my family from exposure and myself, being in my mid 40's. I don't like it, but its what I need to do from a selfish perspective and it happens to coincide with doing a solid for the greater community of people that live and work in Greater Vancouver. To me the only clear path to putting COVID in the rear view mirror is doing my part and reducing my interaction with others where ever and whenever possible (and getting vaccinated).

I don't know about you guys, but I mostly ride solo (especially during covid19) and during my average ride I rarely come within 6 feet of anyone the entire time (from leaving my house to returning back home). Like I pack my gear and bike up in my vehicle, drive to the trailhead, put my gear on outside my vehicle, and then ride the trails solo. I might either pass or get passed by a few people the entire ride (i.e. coming within 6 feet of each other) but that's literally just like a 1 second thing... In other words, me going for a mountain bike ride has got to be one of the lowest risk things I can think of doing. Much lower risk than even walking down the sidewalk near my place.

If you're going on a big group ride, shuttling up in the same car, and all going out for food together after then that's a totally different story. But if you are just going for a solo ride to get a bit of exercise, that's basically a non-issue in terms of covid. Even the Fromme parking lot for example... it's not like you are going to makeout with the guy parked next to you.

Point being - if you want to go for a ride, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to do it in a very safe manner where the covid risk is basically non-existent.

Has there been a single case of a solo cyclist getting covid from cycling...? I wouldn't imagine so.

Last edited by: Bull_Dozer on April 23, 2021, 12:20 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
April 23, 2021, 12:25 p.m.

https://www.whistler.ca/media/news/essential-travel-only-sea-sky-communities-until-may-25

April 23, 2021, 1:23 p.m.

Posted by: earleb

https://www.whistler.ca/media/news/essential-travel-only-sea-sky-communities-until-may-25

Its a nice reminder, but its the same 'advice' that has been in place since last November. People didnt listen to it then, and are unlikely to listen to it now that it is 6 months later, and the warmer weather is on the doorstep.

April 23, 2021, 1:43 p.m.

The Mayor's quoted in that report don't have any legal authority so they are just living in hope.

The order specifically applies to cross-border travel and, as the health areas are so huge, the order is effectively useless.

Great leadership, eh?

April 23, 2021, 2:01 p.m.

@Bull_Dozer - Frankly I run into less people walking around my neighborhood than I have on my last few rides. I usually ride with no more than two other people and do quite a bulk of my riding solo, early in morning. None the less last few rides out have had me cross paths with way too many people in groups at trailheads, on climbs etc.

Last edited by: Sanchez321 on April 23, 2021, 2:04 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
April 23, 2021, 2:17 p.m.

FWIW, I went to book a campsite in Whistler over May long weekend and was refused as I am not from the local area.  So, compared to my experience last summer, this does seem to have a bit more bite to it.  Not necessarily agreeing with it...  and yea, cycling outside, even in small-ish groups, seems to be about as low risk for COVID transmission as it gets.

April 23, 2021, 2:41 p.m.

Posted by: Bull_Dozer

Has there been a single case of a solo cyclist getting covid from cycling...? I wouldn't imagine so.

My view on risk management in these times is more related to injuries than getting covid. I totally agree getting covid on solo rides is virtually zero. But the same cannot be said about getting injured on a ride. There's enough going on in hospitals these days without having to deal with 'preventable' hospital trips.

We've all had bad crashes on what we would consider easy and routine on most days. We're all OK with not getting seriously hurt on what we would consider safe and low risk rides, until we get hurt and need medical attention.

My point isn't to get all preachy, but let's just consider taking a wider more global perspective over the next few weeks, it will only be temporary, and we'll get to shred again solo or with buds in due time and our medical system will be there for us in full capacity when needed.

April 23, 2021, 3:02 p.m.

Convenient for them to say this after the mountain is closed and they can't earn revenue from outsiders. I wonder what portion of people skiing in Whistler didn't live there? I'm guessing it's a pretty darn high #. They weren't issuing stuff like that in February...

April 23, 2021, 3:14 p.m.

Convenient for them to say this after the mountain is closed and they can't earn revenue from outsiders. I wonder what portion of people skiing in Whistler didn't live there? I'm guessing it's a pretty darn high #. They weren't issuing stuff like that in February...

Good point, particularly as out-of-towners won't be spending any $$$ on expensive hotels or restaurants. 

Whistler can go f++k themselves with their attitude. They brought on a huge wave of infections themselves.

Ill still ride there, of course, but make sure I spend as little money as possible 😜

April 23, 2021, 3:18 p.m.

Just like John said, It was the jet-setting local kids earning $50 a day who introduced the Brazilian and all of the other COVID variants to Whistler.

Certainly not the throngs of international travelers we had here all year, who non-stop bragged to all of my hospitality friends they, "Just got here last night".

Trudeau and team shit the fucking bed on this and they should get repeatedly punched in their fucking nuts as long as this shit goes on. And you dumbass Conservatives should note that the only difference we'd see between these two parties is that the latter would have hung all those affected out to dry like Crack-Daddy Ford and Trailer Park Kenney are.

Last edited by: ReductiMat on April 23, 2021, 3:18 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 23, 2021, 3:19 p.m.

Posted by: UFO

My point isn't to get all preachy, but let's just consider taking a wider more global perspective over the next few weeks, it will only be temporary, and we'll get to shred again solo or with buds in due time and our medical system will be there for us in full capacity when needed.

This is a good point, but it brings up the argument of what is unsafe? People can have accidental falls in the bathtub, on the stairs or even just walking down the street. And of course there are car accidents and workplace injuries too. I'm all for reducing risk, but there is room for responsible recreation.

Last edited by: syncro on April 23, 2021, 3:20 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 23, 2021, 3:35 p.m.

https://squamish.ca/yourgovernment/news/essential-travel-only-to-sea-to-sky-communities-until-may-25/

Essential travel only to Sea to Sky communities until May 25

April 23, 2021:– Until May 25, the communities of Squamish, Whistler, Pemberton and the Squamish-Lillooet Regional District (SLRD) will only welcome essential travel through the region in support of the Province of British Columbia’s COVID-19 travel restrictions announced today. 

This means anyone from a community outside the Sea to Sky is being asked to postpone their leisure or recreational travel to Squamish, Whistler, Pemberton and the SLRD until after May 25 or whenever the B.C. government allows residents to travel to other communities for non-essential travel. This includes both day trips and overnight trips to the region. 

The B.C. government has brought in travel restrictions effective April 23, and said that travelling to other communities within a health region for recreation or leisure is not okay. 

“We urge Lower Mainland and North Shore residents to not travel to the Sea to Sky region for recreation as we work our way back from being a COVID-19 hot spot, and to prevent transmission between our communities,” said District of Squamish Mayor Karen Elliott. “Like you, we want to get to the other side of these restrictions so that our local businesses and citizens can welcome you back with confidence and excitement. We ask you to help us get through this last push by making a selfless choice and staying close to home.”

“As Minister Farnworth said, do not go to Whistler or Tofino, even on a day trip. Everyone should stay close to home,” said Whistler Mayor Jack Crompton. “The Sea to Sky region is united asking that people not visit until after the May long weekend. We look forward to being able to welcome you back this summer.”

“It is with great reluctance that we are asking visitors to stay away right now so that we can welcome them back to our communities in the near future,” said Pemberton Mayor Mike Richman. “We know people enjoy Pemberton’s mountain biking trails, hiking trails and recreation areas and we hope this summer season will be an active, healthy and profitable one for all but that is only possible if people adhere to these new restrictions. We look forward to being able to show off and share with guests our extraordinary valley again very soon.”

“The Squamish-Lillooet Regional District is joining our municipalities in the region, and the Province, in reminding people that now is not the time to travel,” said Squamish-Lillooet Regional District Board Chair Jen Ford. “If we are to be successful in slowing the spread of COVID-19, we must all take a step back, and exercise extreme caution. Some of our municipalities in the SLRD have been hard-hit with surges in COVID-19 cases, and our rural communities, from Porteau Cove all the way to the Bridge River Valley, face significant risk of exposure with increased visitation to the area. When the time is right, we will welcome visitors back, but now is not the time.” 

The communities of the Sea to Sky include the District of Squamish, Resort Municipality of Whistler (RMOW), Village of Pemberton and Squamish-Lillooet Regional District (SLRD)

April 23, 2021, 3:48 p.m.

Posted by: craw

https://squamish.ca/yourgovernment/news/essential-travel-only-to-sea-to-sky-communities-until-may-25/

Essential travel only to Sea to Sky communities until May 25

April 23, 2021:– Until May 25, the communities of Squamish, Whistler, Pemberton and the Squamish-Lillooet Regional District (SLRD) will only welcome essential travel through the region in support of the Province of British Columbia’s COVID-19 travel restrictions announced today. 

This means anyone from a community outside the Sea to Sky is being asked to postpone their leisure or recreational travel to Squamish, Whistler, Pemberton and the SLRD until after May 25 or whenever the B.C. government allows residents to travel to other communities for non-essential travel. This includes both day trips and overnight trips to the region. 

The B.C. government has brought in travel restrictions effective April 23, and said that travelling to other communities within a health region for recreation or leisure is not okay. 

“We urge Lower Mainland and North Shore residents to not travel to the Sea to Sky region for recreation as we work our way back from being a COVID-19 hot spot, and to prevent transmission between our communities,” said District of Squamish Mayor Karen Elliott. “Like you, we want to get to the other side of these restrictions so that our local businesses and citizens can welcome you back with confidence and excitement. We ask you to help us get through this last push by making a selfless choice and staying close to home.”

“As Minister Farnworth said, do not go to Whistler or Tofino, even on a day trip. Everyone should stay close to home,” said Whistler Mayor Jack Crompton. “The Sea to Sky region is united asking that people not visit until after the May long weekend. We look forward to being able to welcome you back this summer.”

“It is with great reluctance that we are asking visitors to stay away right now so that we can welcome them back to our communities in the near future,” said Pemberton Mayor Mike Richman. “We know people enjoy Pemberton’s mountain biking trails, hiking trails and recreation areas and we hope this summer season will be an active, healthy and profitable one for all but that is only possible if people adhere to these new restrictions. We look forward to being able to show off and share with guests our extraordinary valley again very soon.”

“The Squamish-Lillooet Regional District is joining our municipalities in the region, and the Province, in reminding people that now is not the time to travel,” said Squamish-Lillooet Regional District Board Chair Jen Ford. “If we are to be successful in slowing the spread of COVID-19, we must all take a step back, and exercise extreme caution. Some of our municipalities in the SLRD have been hard-hit with surges in COVID-19 cases, and our rural communities, from Porteau Cove all the way to the Bridge River Valley, face significant risk of exposure with increased visitation to the area. When the time is right, we will welcome visitors back, but now is not the time.” 

The communities of the Sea to Sky include the District of Squamish, Resort Municipality of Whistler (RMOW), Village of Pemberton and Squamish-Lillooet Regional District (SLRD)

Ironically, Whistler and Squamish are the hotspots...it should be the local mayor's of the Lower Mainland preaching to the Sea-to-Sky communities to stay home!

April 23, 2021, 4:44 p.m.

once Microclimate opens up, I'm there baby.  Lots of Whistler/Squamish Youtubers coming down to the NS to ride and no one says anything.