BC COVID Restrictions

April 19, 2021, 12:22 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Posted by: shoreboy

The direction is that you should not be travelling anywhere unless it is 'essential'. The definition of 'essential' seems to mean different things to different people. Living in North Van and travelling to Squamish for work would be deemed essential. Going there to go for a bike ride would not.

So how would you feel if someone traveled for work and brought their bike along with them to go for a ride afterwards?

I’d say you’re looking for loopholes.

April 19, 2021, 12:26 p.m.

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

The direction is that you should not be travelling anywhere unless it is 'essential'. The definition of 'essential' seems to mean different things to different people. Living in North Van and travelling to Squamish for work would be deemed essential. Going there to go for a bike ride would not.

So how would you feel if someone traveled for work and brought their bike along with them to go for a ride afterwards?

I’d say you’re looking for loopholes.

I'm not going to Squamish either way, it's just a question. At the end of the day though I think the whole avoiding non-essential travel thing is pointless when there are so many people traveling for work and other "essential" things.

So seriously, would that ^^^ be a bad thing?

April 19, 2021, 12:49 p.m.

Think of all the money being saved . All those govt employee s in the tourism industry. We can lay them off yes. Provincial camp grounds are shut down right.? Obviously reservations for camping is not needed as only locals can camp right?  Tourism is not an essential service . 

My take : out door recreation is an essential need for people to stay healthy so they can be fit and be far more capable of fighting off a virus. 

Please : park in a quiet neighborhood and ride your bike to the trail entrance. 

Please do not stop or congregate at trail entrance or exit.  

Please do not stop on the trail and move your bike off the trail. 

Please be extra nice and courteous. Lots of inexperienced people wishing to enjoy the great out doors.

April 19, 2021, 1:32 p.m.

I'm not going to Squamish either way, it's just a question. At the end of the day though I think the whole avoiding non-essential travel thing is pointless when there are so many people traveling for work and other "essential" things.

So seriously, would that ^^^ be a bad thing?

Both things can be true.

Current guidance is "no non-essential travel outside your neighborhood". So if one travels to squamish for work, and brings their bike to get in a lap after, I think it's looking for a loophole to get their squamish fix in.

Is that causing additional risk. No. The Covid risk associated with a solo ride in the forest is near as I see it, so close to zero one should be more worried of an eagle attack.

But that's for solo riding. People travelling to ride with people from other households in a different neighborhood or city? How far off is that from jumping the skytrain to Kits beach for a saturday night dance party?

Somewhere between those two is a reasonable medium. I've landed on solo rides, generally in my neighborhood.

Last edited by: Couch_Surfer on April 19, 2021, 1:39 p.m., edited 6 times in total.
April 19, 2021, 2:11 p.m.

New orders going in this Friday will prohibit non-essential travel outside of your health authority. Horgan just announced it seconds ago.

April 19, 2021, 2:18 p.m.

Posted by: Bushpilot

New orders going in this Friday will prohibit non-essential travel outside of your health authority. Horgan just announced it seconds ago.

Does that mean police roadblocks along Boundary (between Burnaby and Vancouver)?

April 19, 2021, 2:25 p.m.

Posted by: taprider

Does that mean police roadblocks along Boundary (between Burnaby and Vancouver)?

Not clear. Roadblocks probably not but travel checks possibly. Details are all coming in now during live press conference.

Also not clear just yet if the prohibition relates to health authority (very big - eg looks like VCH goes all the way to Powell River with some interruption) or health service delivery area (much smaller)

Last edited by: Bushpilot on April 19, 2021, 2:27 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 19, 2021, 2:25 p.m.

"Starting Friday, there will be random road checks to ensure people are not travelling outside their health authorities without a legitimate reason. BC Ferries will no longer accept bookings for vehicles like campers and trailers. While there will be signs at the border with Alberta to discourage non-essential travel into B.C., there are no bans in place."

Interesting they announce this is starting Friday. That's like yelling "hey everybody, get your non-essential travel done before the end of the week".

April 19, 2021, 2:27 p.m.

Posted by: KenN

"Starting Friday, there will be random road checks to ensure people are not travelling outside their health authorities without a legitimate reason. BC Ferries will no longer accept bookings for vehicles like campers and trailers. While there will be signs at the border with Alberta to discourage non-essential travel into B.C., there are no bans in place."

Interesting they announce this is starting Friday. That's like yelling "hey everybody, get your non-essential travel done before the end of the week".

New Signs.  They ain't farting around.

April 19, 2021, 2:31 p.m.

Posted by: KenN

This order still leaves it wide open for people in Vancouver/North Vancouver/Richmond to go to Whister and Squamish (which it shouldn't). Too bad for you suckers in Burnaby, you aren't allowed to go to the Shore either! Lol....

Last edited by: shoreboy on April 19, 2021, 2:35 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
April 19, 2021, 2:52 p.m.

Richard Zussman just asked about people in Vancouver travelling to Whistler because they are the same health authority. The Premier sort of ducked the question and answered instead about bookings being blocked for people outside the authority. So, yes, looks like you won’t be blocked from driving to Whistler if you live in VCH. That’s definitely not in the “spirit” of the orders though. But not strictly prohibited.

And looks like the road check model will be based on the drinking and driving road checks.

Last edited by: Bushpilot on April 19, 2021, 2:53 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 19, 2021, 3:16 p.m.

Blow up the bridges.  The Island of North Vancouver has a nice ring to it.

April 19, 2021, 3:30 p.m.

This order still leaves it wide open for people in Vancouver/North Vancouver/Richmond to go to Whister and Squamish (which it shouldn't). Too bad for you suckers in Burnaby, you aren't allowed to go to the Shore either! Lol....

Lol - I laffed. The irony of that of course is that travelling to Eagle, Burke and the Woodlot are all further away than Fromme and Seymour, yet within my zone. Same for your example of North Vancouver to Squamish or Whistler. 

If they really wanted to be clear about it they would limit travel to a specific radius from one's home address. What's reasonable; 5k 10k 15k 20k? Of course all this wouldn't be necessary if people just had some responsibility art their actions. 

Either way, I'm still going trail building.

April 19, 2021, 3:40 p.m.

Either way, I'm still going trail building.

Is there a snitch line set up yet? "hello snitch line...yes I know a resident that's outside his zone and his exact location..."  :) J/K

April 19, 2021, 3:50 p.m.

Honestly, at this point I don't care. I stopped caring about a lot of things in life a ways back, covid has just helped that along. If going building is one of the few things keeping me sane then fuck the rules, that's what I'm going to do.