BC COVID Restrictions

April 17, 2021, 6:17 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

I’m going trail building tomorrow...

If you are it's definitely safer for everyone to stay off the mountain!

April 17, 2021, 6:43 p.m.

lol

April 17, 2021, 10:15 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Posted by: cerealkilla_

I agree with this. I think responsible people here drag themselves over coals trying to avoid looking like they are flaunting rules while doing something with no real risk of transmission if they aren't riding with others. This while others are doing crossfit, going to the gym, dining out - all in groups that include people outside their bubble. Unfortunately, Bonnie needs to set aggressive standards because despite telling us not to, I still see groups of riders who definitely aren't all from the same bubble riding together.

why is it possible to even doing these things?

gyms and restaurants are closed here since october? you can order take out, that’s it. yet, our numbers are also climbing again. because our fucking politicians can‘t get around closing EVERYTHING down for some weeks. work and open schools are too important for them, yet this are the places most infections occur now.

Last edited by: Sethimus on April 17, 2021, 10:18 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
April 17, 2021, 10:37 p.m.

Posted by: Sethimus

I agree with this. I think responsible people here drag themselves over coals trying to avoid looking like they are flaunting rules while doing something with no real risk of transmission if they aren't riding with others. This while others are doing crossfit, going to the gym, dining out - all in groups that include people outside their bubble. Unfortunately, Bonnie needs to set aggressive standards because despite telling us not to, I still see groups of riders who definitely aren't all from the same bubble riding together.

gyms and restaurants are closed here since october? you can order take out, that’s it. yet, our numbers are also climbing again. because our fucking politicians can‘t get around closing EVERYTHING down for some weeks. work and open schools are too important for them, yet this are the places most infections occur now.

I heard on the radio today that the reason they are keeping schools open here is because transmission actually goes up when the kiddies stay home. 

I'm not sure what the status is of gyms and studios in bc but if we are contemplating not going mountain biking, people certainly shouldn't be congregating to work out in a confined space. I'm pretty sure a good proportion of the people I see outdoor dining aren't from the same household either. 

I think if syncro wants to go to a uninhabited piece of Forrest and dig and move rocks, that is much better than hanging out on a patio in his neighborhood, which apparently is ok still.

April 18, 2021, 7:44 a.m.

Posted by: Sethimus

It's very possible! Gyms and restos have been open since October (yoga studios on/off). I don't know about private gyms but the North Van community centre gyms have remained open since last year. Last time I was there was in the fall and you had to wear a mask until you got to your 'station' (treadmill/bike/rack etc) but then could take it off. As you can imagine, most people just weren't masking at all once they walked in. This is why I haven't gone back, especially now. A friend who attends a CrossFit gym in Squamish has also continued to go, they minimise heavy cardio stuff and make folks do that outside. Not something I wouldn't feel safe doing that but definitely lots of people do.

Also patios are open and have been the whole time (well since summer 2020 anyway).

Last edited by: meloroast on April 18, 2021, 7:53 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
April 18, 2021, 8:59 a.m.

"Travel advisory

At this time, all non-essential travel should be avoided. This includes travel into and out of B.C. and between regions of the province. "

Syncro posted this above from the Govt and I think it sums up the confusion. Everyone has their own idea of what a 'region' is! Especially 'influencer types' who have been travelling between Vedder and Pemby, Coast etc all winter without a care in the world. RideENNUF all congregated on Bowen recently which got plastered all over social media (which was deemed OK because it's in the same 'region'). If it's OK for them, it's OK for us....right? Loads of people from Vancouver travel to Squamish. Loads of people from Squamish travel to Pemberton. Everyone goes to the Sunshine Coast. And so it goes on.....

April 19, 2021, 7:26 a.m.

Wasn't the direction at one point not to travel further than what you would do for a day trip? 

I think that distinction is pretty clear and also makes logical sense when you consider that commuters are probably the weak link.

I live in North van so for me, squamish is a go, whistler or island are borderline. Kamloops? Not happening. 

I also think this is reasonable because saying I am exposing people in squamish to additional risk, or myself to additional risk, or complicating contract tracing, is kinda silly when I know and work with plenty of people who commute from squamish to north van. 

Once you start exceeding the radius that people might consider doable as a daily commute, I think a gut check is in order.

April 19, 2021, 8:30 a.m.

FYI, Vancouver and N Van are in the Coastal health region, Burnaby is in the Fraser health region. Fraser health has the worst COVID case numbers in BC.

Just a data point for the discussion.

April 19, 2021, 8:34 a.m.

Posted by: Kenny

I live in North van so for me, squamish is a go, whistler or island are borderline. Kamloops? Not happening. 

I also think this is reasonable because saying I am exposing people in squamish to additional risk, or myself to additional risk, or complicating contract tracing, is kinda silly when I know and work with plenty of people who commute from squamish to north van. 

Or, the other way around ... Squamish is a bit of a COVID hot spot atm, so more likely that by visiting Squamish, one could pick up the virus and spread it further outside of Squamish.

April 19, 2021, 10:41 a.m.

Posted by: KenN

FYI, Vancouver and N Van are in the Coastal health region, Burnaby is in the Fraser health region. Fraser health has the worst COVID case numbers in BC.

Just a data point for the discussion.

True, but Fraser Health is a huge region and is split into 3 - North, South and East. South is where cases are really significant and the case rate is about double that of Vancouver, Burnaby, and The Tri-Cities. Richmond is fairing the best of anyone in Metro Van. This map show cumulative cases per 100K and weekly cases for April 9-15.

http://www.bccdc.ca/Health-Info-Site/PublishingImages/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/case-counts-press-statements/covid19_hsda_cumulative_7days_20210415.png

If you look actual number of cases and the case rates per 100K people for the week of April 4-10:

City of Van 1297
Burnaby & New West together are a little less than half of that at 624
North Van is even better at 223.

They are all in the red though with with over 20 cases per 100K people. Again Richmond fairs better.If you compare populations, Burnaby and New West together are about half of Van, and North Van about half of Burnaby and New West together.

http://www.bccdc.ca/Health-Info-Site/PublishingImages/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/case-counts-press-statements/covid19_lha_20210404_20210410.png

Both those maps can be accessed from here:
http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/data#maps

IMHO what makes those numbers somewhat unreliable is that they show the residence of people who got sick, not where they got sick. Considering the amount of travel that goes on in the Metro Van area for work, where people are actually getting sick is a complete unknown.

April 19, 2021, 10:57 a.m.

Again Richmond fairs better.

*ahem* 

grumblegrumble

"fares"

April 19, 2021, 11 a.m.

Posted by: Kenny

Wasn't the direction at one point not to travel further than what you would do for a day trip? 

I think that distinction is pretty clear and also makes logical sense when you consider that commuters are probably the weak link.

Once you start exceeding the radius that people might consider doable as a daily commute, I think a gut check is in order.

The direction is that you should not be travelling anywhere unless it is 'essential'. The definition of 'essential' seems to mean different things to different people. Living in North Van and travelling to Squamish for work would be deemed essential. Going there to go for a bike ride would not.

April 19, 2021, 11:07 a.m.

people aren't going to listen unless there is actual enforcement.  Don't expect much out of people and you won't be disappointed.

April 19, 2021, 12:10 p.m.

Posted by: KenN

Again Richmond fairs better.

*ahem* 

grumblegrumble

"fares"

Oh darn I made a typo, which just happens to be the exact reason you needed to ignore everything else in my post.

April 19, 2021, 12:12 p.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

The direction is that you should not be travelling anywhere unless it is 'essential'. The definition of 'essential' seems to mean different things to different people. Living in North Van and travelling to Squamish for work would be deemed essential. Going there to go for a bike ride would not.

So how would you feel if someone traveled for work and brought their bike along with them to go for a ride afterwards?