BC COVID Restrictions

April 15, 2021, 6:40 p.m.

Manitoba makes their own vaccines. Brian Pallister got tired of waiting.

April 16, 2021, 1:03 a.m.

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

LOL - My bad. Apparently my google skills need sharpening.

I went for a ride around deep cove this afternoon and was wondering where these parking restrictions were.

Feel better - this one is from today

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/bc-news/district-of-north-vancouver-warns-hikers-to-stay-off-quarry-rock-3633214

April 16, 2021, 7:52 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

I went for a ride around deep cove this afternoon and was wondering where these parking restrictions were.

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/bc-news/district-of-north-vancouver-warns-hikers-to-stay-off-quarry-rock-3633214

People won't listen and they are accessing the rock from other areas. Put a Park Ranger there and start handing out tickets. Watch how many people will be shuttling on Seymour on the weekend without masks and then crowding down by the dumpsters. I saw 6 guys pile into a Tacoma last night without masks to retrieve.

Last edited by: LoamtoHome on April 16, 2021, 7:53 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 16, 2021, 8:33 a.m.

Posted by: LoamtoHome

People won't listen and they are accessing the rock from other areas. Put a Park Ranger there and start handing out tickets. Watch how many people will be shuttling on Seymour on the weekend without masks and then crowding down by the dumpsters. I saw 6 guys pile into a Tacoma last night without masks to retrieve.

If only there was another interesting hike in Vancouver with a decent view. The people that do this are seriously lacking in imagination. But I guess if they had the brains to look up something less popular but just as scenic they wouldn't be able to get the name drop recognition on IG.

April 16, 2021, 8:54 a.m.

Not local but I feel like people are lacking moderation. Sure more people are getting out, but people also have more free time and are trying to make every ride location a "greatest hits", whether their mental health needs it or not.

I have friends who are "digital migrants" "working" from home and it's as if they are in some sort of panic to tag as many areas before that gravy train runs out. 1hr drives too and from to go skiing every morning. Sure, try and get out every day, but maybe save the big trips for when you want to put in a proper day. Go play around in the immediate backyard on the other days, work on skills, etc... Ride time should be more than drive time.

Risk is cumulative. Going to the grocery store is a high risk, but everything else adds up. I saw a motorcyclist hit a deer on the way to the trails. Shit happens.

April 16, 2021, 4:55 p.m.

Yes messaging is scattered. However I have very reasonable friends perhaps ‘getting all caught up in the confusion’ and riding in groups that aren’t their household. Dumpster shuttles appear to be hot right now again.  ‘Tis the season for getting after it and showing your friends. Instagram is the damndest thing....;) 

I’m enjoying riding my local from home, even if it means just time for one climb and descent.

April 16, 2021, 10:21 p.m.

Posted by: mammal

Posted by: Sethimus

did canada fuck up buying enough vaccines for its citizens as badly as the eu or why aren’t most people over there already vaxxed? it’s not like you need to buy much anyways?

If you're comparing the situation to the US, most of the answer is "because we don't manufacture vaccines here". The US used every US-produced dose for their citizens, and still procured them from elsewhere, while we can only rely on the foreign supply chain.

europe produces the most but couldn’t get their shit together because france. le sigh :(

April 17, 2021, 6:56 a.m.

So beautiful warm and sunny weekend. Seems business as usual during my commute home late afternoon yesterday. Campers, rv’s, boats, various toys on trailers and in the backs of trucks all along the Lougheed highway through the valley. Traffic was a shit show. So despite Bonnie’s “recommendations” it seems like not many understand english or more likely don’t give a shit.

April 17, 2021, 8:43 a.m.

It’s my observation that most people are willing to do their part, wear masks, stay away from others. There’s a small minority of very vocal anti vaccination/freedom fighters/conspiracy theorist types that are quite simply, fucking stupid. But there is also a minority of those willing to do their part, only if it’s convenient for them and doesn’t affect their lives. Those are the selfish and stupid ones. 

All the reasonable people can do is continue to call out the stupid and selfish people. I think we all understand that our lives have been disrupted to some extent. Some more some less. It’s OK and normal to be pissed off at the situation. We all want an escape goat. Blame China, blame our various levels of government, blame an age demographic, or ethnic group. It’s kind of human nature to want to blame a group that we aren’t a part of for anything.

April 17, 2021, 1:07 p.m.

Too many people trying to make justifications for how their personal individual choices are okay. The directive to recreate in one's own community is to decrease travel across regions, decrease trips to service establishments (restaurants etc), decrease people sharing vehicle rides together, and reduce complexity of contact tracing when that must occur.

Ultimately, everyone following the directions is best to manage the pandemic. Every time someone decides their own choice is exceptional because they're assessing their own risk, they are ignoring the societal-wide challenge of bringing the pandemic under control.

Unfortunately, the conscientious majority will continue to be held hostage by those that put their own needs and wants ahead of societal good. Those that buck the rules (as in all parts of life) are parasites on those that actually support broader public health initiatives. 

This selfish lot, which hypocritically often tends to be the ones most vocal about how unjust the health Orders are - despite their failure to comply....this lot coasts along because our Government has largely sought to take a non-coercive approach. Not only does a more strictly regulated approach tax resources too much, it also impacts compliant people (and poor people) too much. From a value perspective and rights perspective, there is also reluctance to be overly heavy handed in the application of Orders. Thus, there has been little follow-up on collecting fines, and people that have (say) had ferries turned around due to their personal beligerence, are generally handled with kiddie-gloves and fines rather than the type of punishments the rest of the passengers desire.  People whine and moan about our tyrannical Govt, yet the majority of Dr. Henry's orders have been recommendations and requests. It's not just flaws in our Govt and health systems that have led us to this point.....it is selfishness, and the evolving modern belief that freedoms and rights revolve around consumption, recreation, and socializing........this is a very distant mutation from what the progenitors of our Charter had in mind.

April 17, 2021, 2:24 p.m.

Posted by: Bushpilot

As far as what “immediate neighbourhood” means, who knows. Is that 500m from my home? 1km from my home? I don’t know. I’m fairly confident though that it isn’t supposed to mean 10km from my home. Are Burnaby Heights or Hastings Sunrise in the same immediate neighbourhood as any part of Seymour? Is any part of North Van even in the same immediate neighbourhood as Cypress? I doubt it but until there is a clear order prohibiting non-essential travel, everyone is just being asked to use their best judgment about these things and avoid looking for loopholes in the guidance.

If the provincial authorities deem exercising in the mountains essential in the current circumstances (i.e. since we’ve been asked to stay in our immediate neighbourhoods as of a couple days ago) that would be great to know.

Aren't best judgement and loopholes kind of the same thing tho? If I go from my home to Seymour and don't cross paths with anyone is that somehow worse than going to the local grocery store where I'll cross paths with dozens of people? Or is that not as bad as a bunch of NV locals who don't live in the same household running shuttles together? I think if we're going to go with best judgement or common sense then should begin with personal interactions first.

April 17, 2021, 2:26 p.m.

Posted by: cerealkilla_

Too many people trying to make justifications for how their personal individual choices are okay.

So if I drive from home to Seymour and don't cross paths with anyone is that somehow worse than going to the grocery store where I'll cross paths with dozens of people?

Here's the wording lifted directly from the Provincial website:

"Travel advisory

At this time, all non-essential travel should be avoided. This includes travel into and out of B.C. and between regions of the province. "
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/info/restrictions

Regions are not the same as neighbourhoods, and I would put Van, Shore, Burnaby, Richmond, Coquitlam, etc as the same region. 

The single biggest factor in preventing the spread of covid  is physical distancing and keeping your contact limited to the same number of people - the same as it's been since day 1. A bunch of people in an enclosed space like a restaurant or pub represents the greatest concern for the spread of the virus. Someone travelling by themselves from Vancouver or Burnaby to the Shore and going for a ride/hike solo or even with a couple of other people and maintaining an appropriate distance is no risk.

Last edited by: syncro on April 17, 2021, 3:02 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 17, 2021, 3:49 p.m.

Too many people trying to make justifications for how their personal individual choices are okay.

So if I drive from home to Seymour and don't cross paths with anyone is that somehow worse than going to the grocery store where I'll cross paths with dozens of people?

"Travel advisory

At this time, all non-essential travel should be avoided. This includes travel into and out of B.C. and between regions of the province. "

Regions are not the same as neighbourhoods, and I would put Van, Shore, Burnaby, Richmond, Coquitlam, etc as the same region. 

The single biggest factor in preventing the spread of covid  is physical distancing and keeping your contact limited to the same number of people - the same as it's been since day 1. A bunch of people in an enclosed space like a restaurant or pub represents the greatest concern for the spread of the virus. Someone travelling by themselves from Vancouver or Burnaby to the Shore and going for a ride/hike solo or even with a couple of other people and maintaining an appropriate distance is no risk.

I agree with this. I think responsible people here drag themselves over coals trying to avoid looking like they are flaunting rules while doing something with no real risk of transmission if they aren't riding with others. This while others are doing crossfit, going to the gym, dining out - all in groups that include people outside their bubble. Unfortunately,  Bonnie needs to set aggressive standards because despite telling us not to, I still see groups of riders who definitely aren't all from the same bubble riding together. 

BH needs to keep her requests very simple. She doesn't want people making up their own rules because they don't understand how to apply hers. I'm not going to judge others for going from Burnaby to North van to bike alone. I will judge those who join groups outside their bubbles. People have been catching these new strains from prolonged outdoor interactions. I will also judge those who ride in a very risky way given how full the hospitals are - they are FULL, if you didn't know. Syncro has it right IMO, social distance and keep to your very limited bubble. Also, wash your hands whenever you get home and don't eat anything until after you have washed your hands. Mask up. We will all be fine if everyone just does that.

April 17, 2021, 4:28 p.m.

"Travel advisory

I’m not interested in debating the merits of the restrictions but as of a few days ago the guidance was stick to “immediate neighborhood” (not “region”).  Whether we can responsibly ride is another matter and it is certainly a failure of comms that’s the verbal instruction this week to stay in immediately neighborhood hasn’t been put on the govt’s website as far as I can tell. The updated guidelines have been widely reported though. Quick reference here: 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/beta.ctvnews.ca/local/british-columbia/2021/4/13/1_5385637.html

April 17, 2021, 5:32 p.m.

Unless there are restrictions on ALL travel it’s moot.  There are far more people moving around for work than recreation. I’m going trail building tomorrow and I won’t run into anyone which is as safe as things can get. 

From that linked article: 

“It's about trying to find things that we can do safely … if you have any doubts about it, don't do it right now." 

I don’t have any doubt that doing a solo effort is safe.