BC BIKE RACE Coverage

July 6, 2009, 12:45 p.m.

I find with the attitude that came up here with trail builders shows why most do not get behind it and donate money. If I was a builder I would always keep things positive and not expect it. Most do not want to donate to a group that complains all the time, I know I would not want to be involved in that.

Well said.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

July 6, 2009, 1:35 p.m.

already heard from Tom P through a private e-mail that we definitely would not be riding through Screamin Demon next year. I had already talked to some of the guys in the bike shop in Cumberland to donate my iditarod film and all proceeds could go to trails and building materials. With an e-mail directed to me in this way, there is no way I would support his efforts and donate money to his cause. Build a trail on crown land and then control it like you own it…no thanks. If we do it I will donate the money to Search and Rescue who do a thankless job time and time again without complaining..

:woot:

@davenorona

@Dave Norona

July 6, 2009, 1:56 p.m.

there is no way I would support his efforts and donate money to his cause. Build a trail on crown land and then control it like you own it…no thanks.

Where did I ever say I wanted money or support?

Sorry to suggest that steep, loose, fall line trails should be bypassed by the moto crew.

Please forgive me. :beer:

River City Cycle Club - www.rivercitycycle.ca

Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

July 6, 2009, 2:03 p.m.

already heard from Tom P through a private e-mail that we definitely would not be riding through Screamin Demon next year. I had already talked to some of the guys in the bike shop in Cumberland to donate my iditarod film and all proceeds could go to trails and building materials. With an e-mail directed to me in this way, there is no way I would support his efforts and donate money to his cause. Build a trail on crown land and then control it like you own it…no thanks. If we do it I will donate the money to Search and Rescue who do a thankless job time and time again without complaining..

Wait a sec…. Crown land? Kinda hard to take ownership of land that ANYBODY can use. If that's true its a fair game.

July 6, 2009, 2:32 p.m.

Just to clarify, the majority of trails in the Comox Valley are on Private land. The majority of private landowners have a policy of "no access" (even though they know people go on their land to hike/bike/moto all the time). That being said, BCBR obtained permission from the landowners to ride the trails - all of which have been built illegally and without any of the landowners official/legal permission. Furthermore, there was recently a meeting, in Courtenay, called by one of the woodlot managers for one of the tiny pieces of Crown land in the Valley in which some real gains were made. Events like the BCBR, UROC races (DCDH, 12 Hours of Cumberland, Cumberland XC), MOMAR all add weight to the arguments of recreational land users in the Valley, like Mountain Bikers, to legitimize the trail system. Bitching out Dave Norona on this forum doesn't help our cause at all. To all the naysayers, did you volunteer for any of the races/events held this year? Did you race? Do you belong to UROC (the only non-profit MTB organization in the Valley).

/end informative rant

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

July 6, 2009, 2:47 p.m.

I find with the attitude that came up here with trail builders shows why most do not get behind it and donate money. If I was a builder I would always keep things positive and not expect it. Most do not want to donate to a group that complains all the time, I know I would not want to be involved in that. It is the same as sponsorship. I am well sponsored cause I am out having fun and promoting fun sports an how others can get involved.

I see why you are not a trail builder.

July 6, 2009, 2:57 p.m.

I see why you are not a trail builder.

Well obviously. Dave's not much for complaining, so how could he be a trail builder?

Although he does race, and I'm not sure he can do that without complaining. Oh wait…that's because he usually wins. Right.

37 YEARS ON THE BIKE :: 1981-2018

July 6, 2009, 3:12 p.m.

I'm glad he has established a situation where he can make a living based, at least partly, on the hard work of trailbuilders.

July 6, 2009, 3:44 p.m.

that's a pretty weak link strahan.

how about wade, he rode trails for living, lets bash him too.

July 6, 2009, 3:47 p.m.

I'm glad he has established a situation where he can make a living based, at least partly, on the hard work of trailbuilders.

Would you be happier if we put up a statue or something?

Ironically, the best compliment that a trail builder can get is to have their trails trashed by the multitudes.

37 YEARS ON THE BIKE :: 1981-2018

July 6, 2009, 3:49 p.m.

that's a pretty weak link strahan.

how about wade, he rode trails for living, lets bash him too.

and all the other professional riders, not only this one guy riding for NOrco who is not a builder (I have heard) although the magazines tell a different story (I have read).

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

July 6, 2009, 3:58 p.m.

Ironically, the best compliment that a trail builder can get is to have their trails trashed by the multitudes.

this…….biggest smile I ever saw was Chris Markle standing beside his just that afternoon finished re-work of lower danimal, beaming with pride as 300 toonie racers came ripping down hooting and hollaring….

July 6, 2009, 3:59 p.m.

Events like the BCBR, UROC races (DCDH, 12 Hours of Cumberland, Cumberland XC), MOMAR all add weight to the arguments of recreational land users in the Valley, like Mountain Bikers, to legitimize the trail system.

DING DING DING DING!!!!

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

July 6, 2009, 4:22 p.m.

Props to you Dave N … you have more visible enthusiasm for what you're doing than almost anyone I have seen on this board. Keep up the great work.

:canada: :england:

July 6, 2009, 4:38 p.m.

i'm sure Dave is a fine fellow, but to publish the attitude of "this is how i'd build trails, if i wasn't so busy being sponsored and having fun" is both ignorant and arrogant.

trail builders love to have their work appreciated. they also hate to see their work needlessly destroyed / abused. If you can't understand this, you likely have not spent much time on the thin end of a rake/shovel/etc.