BC BIKE RACE Coverage

July 5, 2009, 6:22 p.m.

Our trails have been threatened by motos/4x4/quads who destroy for the sake of destroying.

I fail to see how this issue has anything to do with the BC Bike race.

FFS I just rode part of their course and there wasn't even a power gel wrapper to be found…can't say that about other marquee bike events.

Pastor of Muppets

July 5, 2009, 6:41 p.m.

I fail to see how this issue has anything to do with the BC Bike race.

FFS I just rode part of their course and there wasn't even a power gel wrapper to be found…can't say that about other marquee bike events.

It doesn't I suppose. It merely implies we are pretty sensitive about any motor vehicle being ridden on a bike trail here.

July 5, 2009, 6:47 p.m.

Our trails have been threatened by motos/4x4/quads who destroy for the sake of destroying. They light fires, leave garbage, smash glass…just general mayhem and mindless destruction. I realize this is nowhere near the same thing and the volunteers like Dave respect the trails. That being said…complain over nothing? Easy to say from the interior Wayne. Please.

:lol: WTF does that have to do with the BC bike race and the vollies on motos? Again, blown out of proportion.

July 5, 2009, 6:51 p.m.

It doesn't I suppose. It merely implies we are pretty sensitive about any motor vehicle being ridden on a bike trail here.

Well then I suppose you guys might owe Dave and the kids from the BC bike race an apology. I feel that they have the best interests of the sport in mind and are not out there to take advantage of the locals….Im sure the folks at the Hostel dont mind their patronage and free publicity.

Pastor of Muppets

July 5, 2009, 6:52 p.m.

:lol: WTF does that have to do with the BC bike race and the vollies on motos? Again, blown out of proportion.

Check my above post. Its a sensitivity issue. Yes blown out of proportion…but its along the lines of whats been happening here lately.

NSMBA gets 1k from bc bike race. Great. I'm not sure how our area fares in this department. I'm looking into it. It would be nice to see even the smallest kickback for trailbuilders. I suppose an organization would help but this area is so small that it is pretty much impossible. Doing my best not to come across as a bitter trailbuilder but I have politely asked a 211 member facebook group in this area for ANY donations or materials for trailbuilding and have come up with nothing in 2 years.

July 5, 2009, 6:52 p.m.

Well then I suppose you guys might owe Dave and the kids from the BC bike race an apology. I feel that they have the best interests of the sport in mind and are not out there to take advantage of the locals….Im sure the folks at the Hostel dont mind their patronage and free publicity.

Hey at least somebody is getting something out of it.

July 5, 2009, 7:47 p.m.

Check my above post. Its a sensitivity issue. Yes blown out of proportion…but its along the lines of whats been happening here lately.

NSMBA gets 1k from bc bike race. Great. I'm not sure how our area fares in this department. I'm looking into it. It would be nice to see even the smallest kickback for trailbuilders. I suppose an organization would help but this area is so small that it is pretty much impossible. Doing my best not to come across as a bitter trailbuilder but I have politely asked a 211 member facebook group in this area for ANY donations or materials for trailbuilding and have come up with nothing in 2 years.

Well that sucks and I feel for ya dude, but raggin' on Norona (who's good shit) because he was a part of the chase group on a moto, well….. that's a whole other issue that can be put to rest yea? 'Cause really that's a non-issue.

Now let's continue your plight as a builder and talking to the organizers about a little "payback" or thanks or whatever. THAT'S the direction this should be going in.

July 6, 2009, 7:11 a.m.

Well that sucks and I feel for ya dude, but raggin' on Norona (who's good shit) because he was a part of the chase group on a moto, well….. that's a whole other issue that can be put to rest yea? 'Cause really that's a non-issue.

Now let's continue your plight as a builder and talking to the organizers about a little "payback" or thanks or whatever. THAT'S the direction this should be going in.

Posted via Mobile Device

I agree that motos on the trails is small potatoes compared to the bigger picture. The BCBR needs to realize that their event would not happen
Without the dedication of a few trail builders like Universe. Some payback should be in order.

July 6, 2009, 7:27 a.m.

I ride a moto. I ride a bike. I think that sometimes moto's are on bicycle trails. It's better kept quiet in my opinion. I think that I don't mind motos on bike trails once in a while for a good reason, and only that. I think that they are there for the cyclists.

I think that if you want to go on about how good moto is, Dave, and you too Wayne, you should hit thumpertalk or something. (You'll find me there too) I think you have to expect to run into people here who don't want moto's around. Here I talk about bicycling.

I heard from the EB crew that Cumberland has some good goods. I've heard that from some of my buds who have moved that way. I might have to check this out. With my bicycle.

Props to all the riders and volunteers on this event. It looked like a lot of fun.

www.northshorebillet.com

July 6, 2009, 8:24 a.m.

OMG I'm on TT as well Pete!

I don't think anybody would agree that motos should be on all or most bike trails. There are exceptions of course. Obviously this was a special event where motos were well utilized.

July 6, 2009, 9:08 a.m.

Universe-no apology to me or anyone else needed. I understand the sensitive issue's but I say it how it is and I am not going to hide my joy for joining such a fun event to watch racers do what I use to do. It gives me lot of inspiration to watch these people push themselves. I am along for that as well as helping them and the moto/medical safety team that we make up is the integral part of the team as there would be no radio contact if we were not out there.

I understand your frustration on money and help for trail building. BC Bike Race makes a number of donations to a few of the local riding areas. It is impossible to make them to each and everyone. I know many people think the race is a waterfall of money but it is not. Each year the donations go to a different area.

I find with the attitude that came up here with trail builders shows why most do not get behind it and donate money. If I was a builder I would always keep things positive and not expect it. Most do not want to donate to a group that complains all the time, I know I would not want to be involved in that. It is the same as sponsorship. I am well sponsored cause I am out having fun and promoting fun sports an how others can get involved. This is good for everyone. Many athletes sit there and expect it and complain as to why they are not getting sponsored. No company wants to be around that. Trail builders have to learn that you are doing this cause you love it and instead of being negative as to why others are not doing what you are is futile. Also when your not willing to share the trails and when more people come you also complain then how are people supposed to know and support that.

If I was out building I would have local shops and people sponsoring specific trails with photos of them in their shops so that when people walked into them they knew these people supported something cool and local. I would also have a web site set up with the trails and downloadable maps people could purchase and also have a paypal link so people can see the work and know about it therefore creating an awareness that money for equipment and other gear is needed. They could make donations right there, yes this takes time and money but would work. Do you just give money to the lazy bum on the street with his hand out or would you rather it go to a good place that actually helps people?

You also have to remember that there are a lot of charities and other things people donate money and time to. I have been personally attacked as to why I don't donate a portion of my income to specific mtb trails etc. The fact is I donate time and money to something I feel is way more important which is getting people in wheelchairs out into the backcountry. I do what I can and when I get hammered by some goofball who slags me because he thinks what I should do then it does not make me want to help him. The fact people here even attack or demand that by others is so wrong in so many ways.

The key to sponsorship is getting others involved in your passion in a positive way, keep the negative out of it and you will find those people are out there and they will help. But they don't live in the negative world and when YOU do you will never find the right people. You get out of life what you put in and if all you put out their is negative thoughts then that is what your going to get back. I appreciate all trail builders do and enjoy your work as do all the other riders out there. I do a lot of trail building and maintenance in Lytton where I moto and I do it cause I love it and I want to make the ares better. I also say it would be great if everyone carried a little hand saw to cut deadfall or faces slappers out and if everyone did that then no one would have to do much work. But we keep that to ourselves as I know that is not going to get them out there. If they want to help they will and if not well they have limited time and nothing wrong with wanting to rip all weekend before going back to work on Monday
I have met some awesome trail builders on the shore and they are super hard working and love what they do. Great karma to all of them!

:woot:

@davenorona

@Dave Norona

July 6, 2009, 9:35 a.m.

Well said Dave.

July 6, 2009, 10:21 a.m.

sponsorship 101. you should write some articles Dave. ;)

July 6, 2009, 10:29 a.m.

I enjoyed my day 6 experience in Squamish as a guest rider, and cursed dave under my breath when he'd pass me on hot exposed climbs…… ;) great event, great organization, great vollies, the feed stations were amaaaazing! I'm not sure watermelon has ever tasted so good! I was firing it into my mouth as fast as the volly was cutting it up! really enjoyed the day and the trails down there, rode some stuff I hadn't before which was nice…..the comments from the racers were pretty funny, we'd get either the "you haven't been riding for 6 days straight" when we'd pass them on the climbs (I did ride 25 of 30 days in June however), orrrrrrrr "oh there go a bunch of locals" when we'd rip by them on the techy descents! Wade was riding too and even gave Jerome and I shit for wearing baggies, I think we were the only ones not in full lycra with lightweight xc bikes! love it! thanks everyone involved!

July 6, 2009, 11:23 a.m.

To all the trail builders in areas where this event and other events like it happen.

Events such as this are important to your community. The community and the landowners should support this event and supporting you for allowing the event to happen.

People don't run these events to make money, I don't see Dean running around in a BMW wearing gold chains. People put on these events to promote the sport, create awareness and get people out.

This creates an opportunity for you to promote your cause to raise money, or to elicit more support from the landowners to offer money, tools etc so you can continue doing what you want to do, build trails.

See this as an opportunity, as Dave mentioned to increase your support in the local area.

If Squamish didn't have the Test of Metal, the powerhouse plunge would be a cut block. It was due to this event that they could justify saving the forest around this trail.

Events bring people into the community and support for your cause.

You should be taking advantage of this.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter