BC BIKE RACE Coverage

July 5, 2009, 8:52 a.m.

reads column in international magazine that will in turn help legitimize local trails and perhaps,if given the right spin,make municipal and the provincial gov'ts take this sports' tourism potential seriously.

devils advocate.

Pastor of Muppets

July 5, 2009, 10:15 a.m.

reads column in international magazine that will in turn help legitimize local trails and perhaps,if given the right spin,make municipal and the provincial gov'ts take this sports' tourism potential seriously.

devils advocate.

i doubt dropping 3 or 4 hundred bucks worth of tools on each of the local builders would break BC bike race's bank. or Kegs of beer for traildays for that matter.

who knows mabey they already do that.

July 5, 2009, 10:26 a.m.

It seems to me that all the racers would have to be insured under something like IMBA or similar. That alone would be channelling some funds back into the advocacy system, let alone the obvious benefits of a high profile event that dumps lots of money into the local economy.

Making an event that relies on good singletrack for it's success makes the preservation of that resouce a priority for more than just the immediate riding community. The Mom and Pop businesses in the area of the event also benefit, and those people then get behind the support of the trails. That alone is worth the additional wear and tear of the event.

Big picture, not little details.

If there's some maintenance that anyone needs additional help with as a result of an event like this, I'm sure a couple of friendly emails or phone calls would sort it out in a second.

37 YEARS ON THE BIKE :: 1981-2018

July 5, 2009, 10:54 a.m.

i doubt dropping 3 or 4 hundred bucks worth of tools on each of the local builders would break BC bike race's bank. or Kegs of beer for traildays for that matter.

who knows mabey they already do that.

They do make contributions to the local groups. They gave the NSMBA $1000.00.

Events such as this are a great way to promote the sport and ensure we do have trails in the future.

Like Smoke says - big picture.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

July 5, 2009, 1:09 p.m.

It's fine to talk big picture when you are discussing areas such as the North Shore, but for smaller riding areas with 2 or 3 active builders, I think it's a bit different, unless you want areas like Forbidden to be the sacrificial lambs.

My beef isn't that the trails are used for the BCBR, just that some of the trails shouldn't have been moto'ed, if just out of respect for the local builders. Steep fall line trails that are borderline unsustainable as it is, do not need to be moto'ed, no matter how much fun moto dave had on them.

as well, we have enough issues here on the island with motorised users beating on the trails. The blanket policy of BCBR motoing all the trails is a bit insensitive to local issues, imo.

River City Cycle Club - www.rivercitycycle.ca

Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

July 5, 2009, 1:33 p.m.

My beef isn't that the trails are used for the BCBR, just that some of the trails shouldn't have been moto'ed, if just out of respect for the local builders.

I think context is important here.

A couple of enduro bikes providing race support are not the same as the local 18 year olds rooping it up on the trails.

…seems like a lot of bitching over perception of a problem.

My money says that if you went out there today,you would never be able to tell that "moto dave" was even there.

Pastor of Muppets

July 5, 2009, 1:39 p.m.

If I remember there was quite a stink when the electric bike appeared on the local shore mountains.

July 5, 2009, 1:47 p.m.

If I remember there was quite a stink when the electric bike appeared on the local shore mountains.

But again, its not like Dave is shredding it, skidding round corners, and trying to spray mud. And anyway you need support there. It would be a shame if support couldn't get to someone fast enough because they all had to ride alongside them.

:england:

July 5, 2009, 2:10 p.m.

If you knew the trail in question, you may understand the issue.

If moto dave hadnt posted up in the interweb with a big smile on his face how rad it was to moto all the trails, the local builders may not have been aware, but he ensured to throw that out there.

River City Cycle Club - www.rivercitycycle.ca

Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

July 5, 2009, 3:32 p.m.

They do make contributions to the local groups. They gave the NSMBA $1000.00.

Events such as this are a great way to promote the sport and ensure we do have trails in the future.

thats pretty cool, what more can you ask for.

id say the moto thing is being overdone given the context of the race.

July 5, 2009, 3:43 p.m.

I think context is important here.

A couple of enduro bikes providing race support are not the same as the local 18 year olds rooping it up on the trails.

My money says that if you went out there today,you would never be able to tell that "moto dave" was even there.

Exactly. Seems like some of you guys here like to complain over nothing.

July 5, 2009, 5:04 p.m.

If you knew the trail in question, you may understand the issue.

If moto dave hadnt posted up in the interweb with a big smile on his face how rad it was to moto all the trails, the local builders may not have been aware, but he ensured to throw that out there.

We are not paid, we are volunteers and if you ask the number of people we have saved, from going off course due to morons pulling ribbons, from people getting lost and getting into real trouble out in the middle of no where to the number of injuries including ones going straight to the hospital for broken bones, huge open gashes that otherwise would take hours to realize they were in trouble. In every community we were thanked by the fire department, ambulance and search and rescue by the job we did.

We would all love to be off riding 7 days on better trails elsewhere in the province on our motos or mtb's. Yes we all have a good time cause that is the way we choose to live( I am sure you would be pretty upset personally if people had a bad time on those trails), instead of living in a dark room on the internet trying to stir the pot. If I understand Screamin Demon the trail you are talking about or any of the trails we rode off of Forbidden then we did ZERO damage. Most of that trail is all rock anyway and anything ruined was done long ago by your local mtb crowd.

BC BIke Race makes donations to the local area, helps the community with everything from people buying gas, food, extra lodging and they will come back. It is the single best reason that the province is getting more involved with events in smaller communities and creating opportunities, only a small few keep saying what does this race do for me?

We are all ex-mtb racers and still ride and we now how to ride trails properly, sorry to go off but I am sure I am not the only one who is tired of a few entitled individuals who think that the world owes them something and all they can do is find the negative in everything. I find this quite odd in groups who are out on their bikes, or maybe they are not on them and that is why they are so bummed all the time.

To all of you with the good vibes, thanks, we are not out to piss off people we are their to help riders in need. Happy riding to all of you. Now let me get back to my piece and quiet in my hot tub at Whistler.:woot:

:woot:

@davenorona

@Dave Norona

July 5, 2009, 5:20 p.m.

Please send lots of +rep norona's way.

:england:

July 5, 2009, 6:11 p.m.

Exactly. Seems like some of you guys here like to complain over nothing.

Our trails have been threatened by motos/4x4/quads who destroy for the sake of destroying. They light fires, leave garbage, smash glass…just general mayhem and mindless destruction. I realize this is nowhere near the same thing and the volunteers like Dave respect the trails. That being said…complain over nothing? Easy to say from the interior Wayne. Please.

July 5, 2009, 6:12 p.m.

BC BIke Race makes donations to the local area, helps the community with everything from people buying gas, food, extra lodging and they will come back.

That is great to hear. Do you have any details on the Comox Valley in particular?