BC BIKE RACE Coverage

July 1, 2009, 8:38 a.m.

Ha ha Lee I know your just bustin my chops, if I am going to cheat better do a better job of it, I guess! Happy Canada Day Everyone, sun is out, James and crew have finished fixing all the bikes which took through the nightand now they are playing hockey! What a sweet morning to start the day!Shouts out to Jeremy and the town of cumberbum for all their awesome trails and good food and beer except to the losers that took down the marking at the start and end of the race while it was going on, kids these days, oh well makes the moto team scramble especially when your going through narrow areas with skinny bridges on your moto trying to stay ahead of seamus mcgrath, who is so jealous cause he wants to be on his new ktm200 xc-w. Love the Rush of the race and watching all the people rip,Enjoy the day!!!Posted via Mobile Device

:woot:

@davenorona

@Dave Norona

July 1, 2009, 8:34 p.m.

Great coverage Dave! Looks like an awesome race and a good test of riders skills.

A friend of mine is in the race and emailed this out after day 1:

"We have come to several realizations,
1. We are not "downhillers' free riders" or "all mountain assassins" we are middle aged cross country light weights of middling ability.

2. When they say on the start line PA system "If you are running high pressure in your tires, you're in for a long day" you should probably drop your pressure

3. When the "Godfather of Freeride"( Wade Simmons) tells you to "lower your saddle for the down dude" you should probably lower your saddle….

laughed my ass off!

Eric should have tried training on some actual BC terrain, not the easy Galbraith stuff he rides!

Great footage Dave. Did you get any of the exploding carbon frames? :)

July 1, 2009, 10:10 p.m.

Yeah wicked race and the best part is we get to moto it all! Most can't believe we make it. through but it is the way we ride.

You moto all the bike trails?

July 1, 2009, 10:12 p.m.

Surely no one would moto Screamin Demon….

River City Cycle Club - www.rivercitycycle.ca

Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

July 1, 2009, 10:17 p.m.

Yes we moto all the trails. Don't get your panties in a bunch we know how to ride and you would never know we were there. We rescue so many people out there it is important that we are on the the course. Screamin Demon was awesome,

I duct taped more than one carbon frame together in Cumberland! Awesome. Today was wicked on the Sunshine Coast. Rod Campasano designed a sweet ride that cracked the likes of Chris Sheppard. Awesome day! Moto was too fun. Uploading Day 4 video now…:rocker:

@davenorona

@Dave Norona

July 1, 2009, 10:22 p.m.

Yes we moto all the trails. Don't get your panties in a bunch we know how to ride and you would never know we were there.

pretty sure next time I ride screamin I'll know you guys were there. See you at the next trail day…. oh wait, nvm….

River City Cycle Club - www.rivercitycycle.ca

Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

July 2, 2009, 11:36 a.m.

Hey Dave. I was talking to a buddy this morning that ran into you yesterday on that new bridge they built through the ravine, and it sounds like the cross ditches on the road afterwards really laid a beating on a few people. I hope nobody got hurt too badly.

July 2, 2009, 3:32 p.m.

one guy broke his collarbone, wrist and dislocated his hip, ouch!!! I was coasting down behind a girl and she got bucked on those waterbars pretty bad as well but she came out with just a few bumps and bruises. Combination of tierd bodies, dry, loose conditions and not knowing the terrain can make it quite challenging.Good day today with a lot of high bridges whick makes it pretty crazy on the moto….Posted via Mobile Device

@davenorona

@Dave Norona

July 2, 2009, 4:48 p.m.

As a participant of the BCBR and a non- MOTO rider, I can say that we have all been very impressed with Moto team.

Moto team is essential to safety of riders and they do not do any more damage to the trails than the riders. In fact, some of the riders who have never ridden in BC do more damage IMO.

We have been following Moto when they have to jump ahead to track lost rider or medical and several riders have witnessed the lack of impact on the trail. I have personally ridden trail right behind the Moto and been blown away because you can't even tell they were there.

Props to Moto team. Props to local trail builders for great trails. And huge props to ALL volunteers!

DB@EB

Posted via Mobile Device

Lessons, Rentals & Tours - since 2004

www.endlessbiking.com

Facebook Fan Page

Follow us on Twitter

July 2, 2009, 6:52 p.m.

I gotta agree with DB. Properly ridden moto's with respect for the trails won't leave more of a mark than a bicycle. I've seen it on the BVOD course, where they also used a moto as chase.

caveat - unless it's wet, which it's not now, is it?

July 2, 2009, 7:12 p.m.

I like Dave's comments
"Oh yeah 3 snapped Carbon frames today, 2 Gary Fishes, one Trek, crazy!!! "

"eight broken bikes so far, so don't bring your sissy xc carbon mumbo jumbo light weight tech weenie bike to the BC Bike Race, bring your big boy or big girl bike…"

July 2, 2009, 7:51 p.m.

I think Universe made an additional point about the payback to the trails being used. Any of the profits (not sure if there's alot) being sent to the Comox Valley trail fund? Having a few hundred riders and a few motos riding trails that are maintained for free sounds like the squamish trail poach all over again.

July 3, 2009, 6:54 a.m.

not sure all 8, only 3 for sure

July 3, 2009, 11:21 a.m.

I think Universe made an additional point about the payback to the trails being used. Any of the profits (not sure if there's alot) being sent to the Comox Valley trail fund? Having a few hundred riders and a few motos riding trails that are maintained for free sounds like the squamish trail poach all over again.

This.

July 3, 2009, 1:02 p.m.

reads column in local paper about problem with motos around Cumberland

viperfunk.com