BC BIKE RACE Coverage

July 7, 2009, 4:33 p.m.

Are you calling Smoke out for not giving back enough?

Oh this could get good.

July 7, 2009, 5:03 p.m.

Universe, I can't afford nails anymore. I'm using wooden pegs. It's super solid but it takes forever to carve the pegs. It will be interesting to see how long it holds up.

hahahaha - i love it!

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

July 7, 2009, 6:31 p.m.

Courtenay.

You built those, eh? I'm somewhat beyond broke right now, but I can find something for the cause. That was a seriously badass day of riding. Send me a wish list and I'll see what I can get.

I heard a sad story about your trails and some sort of logging plan. Tell me it ain't so.

Oh, and Rollie and co. were up a few days ago. I could have sent those spikes with them if we'donly have had this conversation last week.

37 YEARS ON THE BIKE :: 1981-2018

July 7, 2009, 7:53 p.m.

If someone has been building for 2 years and hasn't figured out how to do their own thing by then, then they aren't much of a builder. If in 2 years you still need your hand held, then you either didn't pay any attention or are pretty dumb. Building is not rocket science.

There are so many trails in most areas that do not see active maintenance, if one gets tired of "toiling" under others, they should find their own project. After going through the proper channels, of course. Or just start their own trail. But one does not need to "toil" under others to build, especially after 2 years of work.

Anyone who quits building because of others' actions was never much of a builder. A real builder builds because it's a passion that is not tempered by others' attitudes or actions, or even politics. It really is art … at least, until the masses consume it.

And if non-builders get all butthurt because builders go off on a rant, then they should just harden the fuck up. Guess what, when you have spent thousands of hours in the woods you might be a little passionate about things, and maybe a little crazy too. All the average rider does it take, without ever giving back, so you'd think they could handle the occasional internet rant, but it doesn't seem that way normally.

Just because someone builds for themselves does not mean they might get annoyed by the actions of the thankless and usually totally useless masses.

Sometimes "regular joes" get a little tired of stuffing rocks into trails that shouldnt have been built in the first place…know what I mean?

…and I think you've confused "trail maintenance volunteer" (the sort of person that comes out on traildays (they DO have value don't they) ,with "builder. reread my post.

Pastor of Muppets

July 7, 2009, 7:54 p.m.

derwood, make all the excuses you like about why you don't build or maintain trails. It's still freeloading.

mainstream trails.

Freeloading….if you say so…..

Pastor of Muppets

July 7, 2009, 8:04 p.m.

hahahaha - i love it!

I had some sawn wood to play with on this one.

July 7, 2009, 8:35 p.m.

^That is Beyond Sweet!!!Props Big Time to you…:rocker::rocker::rocker::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

:woot:

@davenorona

@Dave Norona

July 7, 2009, 9:47 p.m.

I hate to underail the thread, but am I the only person who likes reading about people riding wildly inappropriate bikes getting their ass handed to them? That link to the first day of racing was almost funny. Not that I want anyone to get injured, but it's nice that they can now finally realize why people might want dual suspension, disc brakes, and/or more than 4" of travel.

July 7, 2009, 9:49 p.m.

Universe, I can't afford nails anymore. I'm using wooden pegs. It's super solid but it takes forever to carve the pegs. It will be interesting to see how long it holds up.

I am lucky enough to have a hook up to get 50lb boxes 1/2 price. Nice looking photos though.

July 7, 2009, 11:24 p.m.

Are you calling Smoke out for not giving back enough?

I would never do that. Just a gentle reminder of things promised years ago.

July 8, 2009, 6:15 a.m.

Can somebody lighten some things up? What I understood so far is that

- some users did not like the idea of the Medical REsponse Team (word?) for the BC Bike Race was riding on Moto. Guess you have to be very proficient (!) to ride a moto in such a way. No hacks allowed.

- around this a discussion evolved concerning issues of builders, which revolve mainly around props, hardware etc.

Are you guys for real? No offence intended, but if you have any issues with these issues - why not check your motivation for building? We live in an age where all the issues that revolve around trail building have been discussed for ages, kinda like :deadhorse: , haven't we as a community of dedicated riders/builders?

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

July 8, 2009, 6:28 a.m.

Are you guys for real? No offence intended, but if you have any issues with these issues - why not check your motivation for building? We live in an age where all the issues that revolve around trail building have been discussed for ages, kinda like :deadhorse: , haven't we as a community of dedicated riders/builders?

It will never change.

July 8, 2009, 6:31 a.m.

It will never change.

Yes, I know. But I am a bit naive most of the time - and I really wonder why the heck we as riders and builders cannot get our shit together, unite as a COMMUNITY and use this re-directed energy into something which is beneficial/good for the COMMUNITY as a whole.

Jeebus, we are all mountainbikers. We do not need more than one MC. Every community has them, redirect, join forces and make it work better than yesterday.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

July 8, 2009, 8:44 a.m.

I heard a sad story about your trails and some sort of logging plan. Tell me it ain't so.

I rode both these last night. Still totally badass. The logging is coming and will affect the area but not either of these stunts to the best of my knowledge.

Here are the blocks.

http://cvmtb.com/blogs/trail_tales/archive/2009/03/10/forbidden-plateau-logging-info.aspx

July 8, 2009, 9 a.m.

Yes, I know. But I am a bit naive most of the time - and I really wonder why the heck we as riders and builders cannot get our shit together, unite as a COMMUNITY and use this re-directed energy into something which is beneficial/good for the COMMUNITY as a whole.

Jeebus, we are all mountainbikers. We do not need more than one MC. Every community has them, redirect, join forces and make it work better than yesterday.

Don't worry, I'm every bit as naive as you are.