Bashguards?

Feb. 2, 2020, 12:26 p.m.

With the 1x drivetrains does anyone use bashguards? I'm not talking about the old style one, but this style - https://can.oneupcomponents.com/collections/chainguides/products/bashguide-v2-iscg05 I put a small gouge in my down tube by my bottom bracket rolling over a boulder once. Didn't seem like there was any damage to the chain or chainring, but shortly after a bearing in my BB wasn't working very well(coincidence?) and had to be replaced. So once in 2 years is very minimal. I just recently got a bike with a longer wheelbase, 50mm longer than my previous bike.

Wondering whether it worthwhile getting one?

Last edited by: Ouch on Feb. 2, 2020, 1:12 p.m., edited 3 times in total.
Feb. 2, 2020, 3:23 p.m.

I've got one on the all mountain bike and have gouged the shit out of that thing, on the short travel bike I don't have one though and have yet to hit the BB/chainring hard. Maybe depends on BB height and how the bike's ridden?

I don't run one with a guide, just the bash:

https://www.blackspire.com/product/bruiser/

Feb. 2, 2020, 5:43 p.m.

I haven't used a bash guard or chain guide for at least 5 years and haven't had a problem. I occasionally bottom out on things, but have never bent a chain Ring and almost never drop a chain.

Feb. 2, 2020, 6:02 p.m.

I run one of the V1 bashguides from ONEUp.  I dont hit it all the time, but there have definitely been a few times where it has saved me some damage Im sure. The added bonus to the bash, is the top guide to make sure you never drop a chain.  They are also nice as they have interchangeable bottom bash plates to more or less custom fit to whatever front chainring you are using.

Feb. 2, 2020, 11 p.m.

I ran one for a year or so when I switched from hardtail to squish. I don't bash it anymore so I took it off and it's been fine since. For how rarely it helps, I don't need to carry the extra weight around