Are you paying for general trail access?

May 15, 2021, 11:56 a.m.

Posted by: martin

I've spent 2 years working as a paid trailbuilder here and it was awesome but unfortunately my body couldn't handle it long term. If only the local club wasn't so "bro-attitude" and stopped making the non-diggers feel guilty and cheap, they'd have a lot more people giving a hand I think.

What do you mean about bro-attitude and making non-diggers feel guilty and cheap?

May 15, 2021, 4:55 p.m.

It's hard to explain but it's just the general feeling that I get from the riding vibe and their social media posts/interactions. There is so much attitude and big egos here... at one particular spot, everyone ends up at the top of the hill and the club guys just look at your bike and look at you without saying hi. Most people riding there are like that unfortunately. It might just be me but it feels like everyone is looking and judging people by their bikes and kit, and acting like if the trails going down were a downhill race. It's like an attitude contest. It's so serious, I can't stand this.

On social media, their posts reflect the same vibe, and if someone dares to say a constructive comment or something  not in the same school of thought, it doesn't take a second before this person gets insulted or made fun of by some club members. Then they expect people to come help dig and say "no dig no ride" all the time, but it really does not feel inviting at all for people who are not in their tightly-knit group of pretentious-feeling people.

Sorry for the rant!

May 15, 2021, 5:10 p.m.

It's hard to explain but it's just the general feeling that I get from the riding vibe and their social media posts/interactions. There is so much attitude and big egos here... at one particular spot, everyone ends up at the top of the hill and the club guys just look at your bike and look at you without saying hi. Most people riding there are like that unfortunately. It might just be me but it feels like everyone is looking and judging people by their bikes and kit, and acting like if the trails going down were a downhill race. It's like an attitude contest. It's so serious, I can't stand this.

On social media, their posts reflect the same vibe, and if someone dares to say a constructive comment or something  not in the same school of thought, it doesn't take a second before this person gets insulted or made fun of by some club members. Then they expect people to come help dig and say "no dig no ride" all the time, but it really does not feel inviting at all for people who are not in their tightly-knit group of pretentious-feeling people.

Sorry for the rant!

I’ve seen it worse than that where some folks disparaged riders because they don’t “contribute “ by doing trail work. That particular victim had shoulder issues so she wasn’t able to. I can’t do heavy work for long because by back says no. I do clear deadfall and slide alder overgrowth but no one knows because I just do it. I also contribute more funds as did my shoulder injured friend. There are different ways to contribute.

May 15, 2021, 5:26 p.m.

Those people don't help the cause and sure don't make it inviting to help!

Everyone is different and sometimes some people take for granted that everyone should be like them or that there are no valid reasons that keeps some from doing trail work. Some work too hard, some have families, some have disabilities, but unfortunately people are quick to judge without knowing.

The local club just received a 10$k grant from Santa Cruz's paydirt but instead of investing that money in the free "community" trails, they will use that to do some work at the trail centre where people have to pay to ride. I see that a few people are questioning this but they don't reply and probably think that those too cheap to pay to ride don't deserve it. Maybe they have great paying jobs and they don't care, but we don't all drive 50$K trucks and make six-figure salaries.

May 15, 2021, 5:28 p.m.

Sorry for the rant!

Strange as I can’t say I’ve noticed that particularly with the current/recent group at the NSMBA but I know that attitude has been present in the past with some people. 

I agree that the idea of no dig no ride should not exist with trail orgs at all as it’s confrontational and pushes people away. There are many ways contribute besides being on the smart end of a shovel.

May 15, 2021, 5:43 p.m.

Just to make sure, I am talking about Québec vibe, not BC. I haven't felt anything like that when I rode in BC, Alberta or the Yukon.

May 15, 2021, 6:50 p.m.

Just to make sure, I am talking about Québec vibe, not BC. I haven't felt anything like that when I rode in BC, Alberta or the Yukon.

Ahh ok. It was just in that post I asked you about you'd said you'd spent two years working here and the comments about bro attitude and making non-diggers feel guilty was in the same paragraph so it sounded like that comment was for the North Shore.

May 15, 2021, 8:26 p.m.

Every riding community I've visited in BC was awesome. One summer I stopped in Golden on my way to Whitehorse and seeing I was going to ride Kicking Horse the next day, the youth hostel's owner told me "Build that bike right now and come ride with us this afternoon!" My bike was completely unbuilt in my car's trunk so I rushed it in the morning and by 1pm we were out on the Moonraker trails. Super cool people and trails!

Maybe I was lucky on that trip, but on my way up North I stopped in Burns Lake. I had written to a bike shop owner that I'd be in the area in two days and he wrote back saying "It would be awesome if you could come ride with us! We'll plan a small group ride." I got there at the free campground the night before, and the next morning was greeted by the super friendly locals who showed me their favorite trails. The bike shop owner even shuttled us for another lap.

Then you get to Whitehorse and there is another riding community and trail networks. Looking at it now, maybe I was too spoiled back then haha! But damn how much I enjoyed the riding vibes during all those summers spent out West/ up North.

Last edited by: martin on May 15, 2021, 8:27 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 18, 2021, 5 p.m.

Every riding community I've visited in BC was awesome. One summer I stopped in Golden on my way to Whitehorse and seeing I was going to ride Kicking Horse the next day, the youth hostel's owner told me "Build that bike right now and come ride with us this afternoon!" My bike was completely unbuilt in my car's trunk so I rushed it in the morning and by 1pm we were out on the Moonraker trails. Super cool people and trails!

Maybe I was lucky on that trip, but on my way up North I stopped in Burns Lake. I had written to a bike shop owner that I'd be in the area in two days and he wrote back saying "It would be awesome if you could come ride with us! We'll plan a small group ride." I got there at the free campground the night before, and the next morning was greeted by the super friendly locals who showed me their favorite trails. The bike shop owner even shuttled us for another lap.

Then you get to Whitehorse and there is another riding community and trail networks. Looking at it now, maybe I was too spoiled back then haha! But damn how much I enjoyed the riding vibes during all those summers spent out West/ up North.

My friends and I had a similar experience on the Island.  We reached out to the local bike shop to ask about trails.  Not only did we get invited out for a guided tour on the weekend, but when we rolled into the campsite Friday afternoon there was a whole host of local kids waiting for us, ripping around on their bikes.  The shop owner had put the word out.  It was hilarious.  We felt like minor celebrities.

Later that evening, the shop owner showed up to our campsite with a cooler full of beers.

I've also had very warm receptions in Kamloops, Williams Lake, Rossland, Nelson.  Just about everywhere I have gone in the province to ride, I have found awesome people excited to show off their local trails.  And with good reason - the riding in these areas is fantastic!