Are enduro bikes needed on the shore?

June 23, 2017, 7:24 a.m.

Whatever gets you up into the trails and enjoying the gifts and treasure that the shore has. I've walked up with people pushing Norco VPSs and personally, I'd nerd out on the shivers. The first time I rode up Fromme I was just wearing my skateboard gear....

The best thing I did for my 2005 Stinky was setting it up as a 2x10. That should make visits to an orthopedic surgeon less frequent when I'm older and means I'm not gassed any more after getting to seventh. Old Buck still sucks big time for me, especially when I'm riding with my XC bike equipped triathlon friend but then the down part is great.

Most of the time I find it's the archer not the arrow, but I can definitely see that a ~30lb bike would certainly help some too.

Last edited by: DanL on June 23, 2017, 7:25 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 23, 2017, 8:07 a.m.

BAnshee

this is awesome.

June 23, 2017, 11:32 a.m.

I give you serious props for pedaling that up to 7th, after not riding for 5 years. People should have been congratulating you man!

June 23, 2017, 3:33 p.m.

This 100%.

July 22, 2017, 3:02 p.m.

So bringing this back up again. The Giants were sold out at the warehouse so now I'm looking at Devinci's. The Troy has almost the same angles as the Trance but now I'm also looking a the Spartan. I'm at a loss as to what to order (if they're in stock in the warehouse). Do I go short with the Troy or go bigger with the Spartan. I don't ride park often at all, may ride it once this year at Sun Peaks) and I don't shuttle. Suggestions?

July 23, 2017, 11:40 a.m.

I was stuck in the same boat with devinci. For me the troy didnt seem like enough bike to get super sendy on, and the spartan was too much bike for the toonie races/chilcotins riding.

If i had unlimited budget i would go for the troy and get a new airspring fro the pike that bumps it to 160 or throw a 36 on it.

Last edited by: nortonwhis on July 23, 2017, 11:41 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 25, 2017, 6:03 p.m.

I just bought a Troy.

I'm pretty happy with it for shore riding. If I was going to frequent WPB I would have looked at a Spartan.

Although the climbing position is good I feel like I am struggling up technical climbs more than I was before on a bigger bike, I think it's due to the shorter 170mm cranks and the reduced leverage,... I assume.

The mix of stiffness and leverage curve makes the 140mm rear end blow away my 160mm Enduro rear end.

I'm going to put in a 160mm air shaft on the front at some point, but for now 150mm suits the bike well.

Last edited by: coolatt on July 25, 2017, 6:06 p.m., edited 4 times in total.
July 25, 2017, 10:02 p.m.

"Needed"? No. But they suit the conditions best.

Some background...I've ridden the trails like Ladies, 7th Secret, Old Buck, and Ned's on everything from a 30lb Ritchey Montare (no suspension at all), to a 2" Judy equipped bike with 70 degree head angle cross country racer, to a new Intense Tracer....I have had a blast on every single bike. I see folks riding on 29ers, 27s, DH's, cyclocross, and I once saw a couple on a tandem!

That said, I spent my $$ on an enduro because I like the technical root-fests as well as some faster twisty stuff and I can't afford a quiver of 14 different rides. Most of my riding is on Fromme (3-4 days a week), with a smattering on Seymour, Cypress, and Squamish. I don't care for uphill speed....but I want something that I can peddle uphill without too much issue.

Lots of bikes fit that bill. I looked at a whole slew before I dropped my cash....Rocky Altitude, Giant Reign, Norco Range, Specialized, etc.... It boiled down to personal feel and options. It was a close decision, but the Intense was a steal, so I went with it. Amazingly great for the Shore

Last edited by: mudrunner on Aug. 5, 2017, 7:25 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 26, 2017, 11:54 a.m.

Posted by: flowrider

So bringing this back up again. The Giants were sold out at the warehouse so now I'm looking at Devinci's. The Troy has almost the same angles as the Trance but now I'm also looking a the Spartan. I'm at a loss as to what to order (if they're in stock in the warehouse). Do I go short with the Troy or go bigger with the Spartan. I don't ride park often at all, may ride it once this year at Sun Peaks) and I don't shuttle. Suggestions?

Also look at the NS Snabb, I have a friend who owns one and the are are really well built bike.

Sept. 4, 2017, 9:04 a.m.

amazing! That is a beast of beauty!

Sept. 4, 2017, 7:26 p.m.

Seems like Lama Cycles is the Canadian distributor. Were they easy to deal with or did you get it shipped across the border?

Sept. 20, 2017, 1:28 p.m.

I've owned 28 bikes in the last 17 years and I'm presently riding a moderately upgraded 2016 Giant Reign 2 (most significant mod is a Fox Float DPS in the rear) and it's been the best all around bike I've ever owned. I've had better bikes at certain things than it, but not overall. I'm not super fast but in the local Fiver races i'm usually around the top 30%-40%, and I find the Reign is just awesome at everything. I did the 43km Sunshine Coaster on it, Keystone Standard Basin, Beowulf, and just about every trail you can name on the Shore on it. I think I'd get another Enduro bike for the shore after this. With all this said, I DO wish the BB was 1cm higher. But that's nit picking. That Range should do you well for many years though.

And that Banshee is rad. I used to be so envious of them back in the day.

Nov. 10, 2017, 3:46 p.m.

Posted by: Taz123

Seems like Lama Cycles is the Canadian distributor. Were they easy to deal with or did you get it shipped across the border?

Yes, he got the bike at Lama where he is also sponsored. They are really good to deal with.

Nov. 10, 2017, 10:13 p.m.

absolutely enduro bikes are required on the shore.  along with colour matched kit, a fanny pack, and a great big heaping of entitlement.  how else you gonna fit it?

bonus points for using strava 100% of the time, no matter where you ride, and for shredding all the loamers in the wet.  i mean, if you have to deal with the expensive house prices and traffic of this place, then you should be able to at least fuck over all the good trails, right?

Nov. 29, 2017, 6:28 p.m.

I actually picked up a fanny pack and they are awesome..

You also need a carbon bike with 29" wheels or 27.5" wheels with boost spacing. Basically if you have an Aluminum bike, throw it out, 26" wheels? Garbage. Fuck just spend 6000$ or more on your bike and you're good to go.