Anyone know why none of the 3 ski hills on the shore run bike parks in the summer?

Sept. 1, 2021, 4:55 a.m.

Posted by: heckler

I miss European trains. Such a relaxing way to travel.

I miss NSMBs old quoting system. And European trains.  Imagine taking a train from your home town to another country and be dropped off at the chairlift with your skis in hand.  For a day trip. 

Sethimus, Canadian trains are for grain and Chinese cars. And bitumen.  Not tourists.

time to nationalize the tracks and run trains on them by a public run operation…

Sept. 1, 2021, 7:52 a.m.

Man, quality thread jack. 

Apparently y’all do that better over there as well.

Sept. 1, 2021, 8:31 a.m.

I miss NSMBs old quoting system. And European trains.  Imagine taking a train from your home town to another country and be dropped off at the chairlift with your skis in hand.  For a day trip. 

Sethimus, Canadian trains are for grain and Chinese cars. And bitumen.  Not tourists.

You mean like the train that went to Whistler back in the 80's/90's? Wonder how long it took to get there, did it stop in Squamish?

Sept. 1, 2021, 9:33 a.m.

Posted by: tashi

The reason Seymour doesnt have a bike park is because I took a train to Chamonix.    What’s the problem?

Sept. 1, 2021, 11:13 a.m.

Posted by: bux-bux

You mean like the train that went to Whistler back in the 80's/90's? Wonder how long it took to get there, did it stop in Squamish?

A couple hours, and yes it stopped in Squamish.  It was 5 hours to Lillooet.

Sept. 1, 2021, 2:51 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

The reason Seymour doesnt have a bike park is because I took a train to Chamonix.    What’s the problem?

That’s that new math I keep hearing about, isn’t it?

Sept. 1, 2021, 5:25 p.m.

The deal I heard was that in order for Cypress to get some events for the 2010 Olympics they had to forgo wanting a bike park in sharing with Whistler.  Short term gain for long term pain.  Sad too as I went to the Cypress park and had fun and was looking forward to seeing it grow (to say nothing of the travel).

What surprises me is the fact that Whistler Bike Park (or Whistler itself) felt threatened enough to make this a clause in the deal.  If WBP was that good it shouldn't care about competition as how CAN you compete with WBP.  

Typical corporate mentality I suppose.

Sept. 1, 2021, 5:48 p.m.

Posted by: blackfly

The deal I heard was that in order for Cypress to get some events for the 2010 Olympics they had to forgo wanting a bike park in sharing with Whistler. Short term gain for long term pain. Sad too as I went to the Cypress park and had fun and was looking forward to seeing it grow (to say nothing of the travel).

What surprises me is the fact that Whistler Bike Park (or Whistler itself) felt threatened enough to make this a clause in the deal. If WBP was that good it shouldn't care about competition as how CAN you compete with WBP.

Typical corporate mentality I suppose.

Interesting if true. And the timing makes sense. To be fair, wasn't the new Cypress lodge funded by the Olympics? So even if it was a shitty backroom deal, it wasn't exactly short-term gain for Cypress, as I imagine their food and drinks sales in the new lodge aren't insignificant.

Last edited by: big-ted on Sept. 1, 2021, 5:48 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 1, 2021, 10:31 p.m.

New Olympic  lodge, lifts, lighting and the best snowmaking on the shore.   Bike park, schmike park.

Sept. 2, 2021, 7:08 a.m.

New Olympic  lodge, lifts, lighting and the best snowmaking on the shore.   Bike park, schmike park.

Until winter stops being snowy.

Sept. 2, 2021, 9:05 a.m.

https://www.onthesnow.ca/british-columbia/cypress-mountain/historical-snowfall.html?y=0

Funny that, it seems to be getting more.

Sept. 2, 2021, 12:39 p.m.

Cypress park would be awesome for me personally, regardless of scale. Sea to Sky traffic is so bad these days, especially on weekends, that a bike park day ends up being 12+ hours away from home/kids so it's a tough sell. Being able to go rip park laps at Cypress for an afternoon, 25-45min drive each way from Mount Pleasant depending on second narrows traffic, would be awesome.

Sept. 3, 2021, 12:28 p.m.

Posted by: grambo

Sea to Sky traffic is so bad these days, especially on weekends, that a bike park day ends up being 12+ hours away from home/kids so it's a tough sell. Being able to go rip park laps at Cypress for an afternoon, 25-45min drive each way from Mount Pleasant depending on second narrows traffic, would be awesome.

That's my experience, too.

I don't love park riding, but what I really don't love is the drive to Whistler. I took my yearly trip a couple days ago, left Vancouver at 8:30, was standing in line at WBP at 11:18, then waited half an hour while the lift was serviced (that was bad luck). Last time I drove back from Whistler on a Sunday evening, it took more than 3 hours to get to Mt. Pleasant. That's a lot of driving for 5 hours of riding. Its  true that I got to spend more of the time riding the fun direction, down, in WBP, but its a long day.

Sept. 3, 2021, 1:27 p.m.

For Whistler this year, I've just been going on a Saturday (MUCH better drive time returning), parking at Creekside (free/easy parking, no lineups), and then crossing over to the other side after 1pm for a bit of the OG trails (less lineup at the bottom) or just stay on Garbo until it's time to return back to creekside. I haven't had mellower Whistler experiences since 2004. So nice.

Sept. 4, 2021, 9:15 a.m.

Put a massive parking lot over ammo dump at base of Seymour.  Shut down the access road to save on maintenance and put a Gondola up to Seymour. Then have a big earth mover carve out some fun roads,  I mean trails,  down to some trendy resteraunts. 

Foreign investors will pay for it all and reap the profits. 

Or we can have hand built trails built with passion .