Anyone know why none of the 3 ski hills on the shore run bike parks in the summer?

Aug. 30, 2021, 3:46 p.m.

Posted by: yahdancer

Posted by: craw

Posted by: Sethimus

Posted by: heckler

Posted by: mammal

There's a big plan awaiting approval to put a big ski hill right beside Chilliwack, and they are planning on XC and DH trail networks. I'd say that's probably the best bet for a hill near by.

Depending on your location Whistler and Chilliwack are equidistant. (101 vs 213 km for me). The Wack has traffic to get through usually.

Whistler is that way 🖕 (but sideways)

in europe we would just go by train to both locations ¯(ツ)

Population density in Canada: 4/km²

Population density in Europe: 34/km²

¯\(ツ)/¯

Major thread derail under way, but........

Population density in the Lower Mainland: 473/km²

And for all that the idea of regular train service to Whistler, either ferry terminal or Chilliwack isn't even a whisper.

European trains are a delight it's true.

Aug. 30, 2021, 7:09 p.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Cypress Bowl bike park from '05 was a blast and everyone rode it. Always wondered what made them shut down

Really? I remember it being fun for a couple of runs and then the novelty wore off real quick.

I'm pretty sure it shut down to accomodate the Olympics construction.

Aug. 31, 2021, 8:03 a.m.

The Hemlock Mountain experiment was fun.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/article1386.html

Thought for sure my bike would fall off those rickety chairs.

Cool patio to drink beer on in the middle of summer.

Aug. 31, 2021, 10:11 a.m.

I was only at the Hemlock park for the BC Cup race they hosted in 2004. I can't recall most of the trails, only a few sections of the race course remain up in my foggy dome. 

Those chairs were definitely rickety, and I seem to remember that I slayed all the other riders in the "Senior Beginner" category I was in. I was in Expert by the end of the season, but at that point I didn't know I was sandbagging yet.

Aug. 31, 2021, 11:03 a.m.

It's a little funny that so many of us are so into bike parks and shuttling but kind of negative towards ebikes. I'm not a big fan of either myself so I don't have any skin in this game. If the purpose is to get to the top with relative ease and get a ton of laps it's hard to beat an ebike for that. Compared to shuttling or cutting down a ton of trees or building chairlifts an ebike is a pretty tidy solution. Wouldn't a lower cost solution be to set up a battery swapping facility of some kind at the bottom of Cypress rather than driving to the top so we can ride a chairlift?

Last edited by: craw on Aug. 31, 2021, 11:03 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 31, 2021, 12:18 p.m.

It's a little funny that so many of us are so into bike parks and shuttling but kind of negative towards ebikes.

That's cuz trucks are cool and macho and ebikes are for wusses.. obviously.  

/s

Aug. 31, 2021, 1:50 p.m.

There's a big plan awaiting approval to put a big ski hill right beside Chilliwack, and they are planning on XC and DH trail networks. I'd say that's probably the best bet for a hill near by.

Depending on your location Whistler and Chilliwack are equidistant. (101 vs 213 km for me). The Wack has traffic to get through usually.

¯\(ツ)/¯

both towns already have train lines, it’s just that you don’t use what you have? less jacked up pick-ups, more green transportation options…

Aug. 31, 2021, 2:12 p.m.

¯\(ツ)/¯

both towns already have train lines, it’s just that you don’t use what you have? less jacked up pick-ups, more green transportation options…

CN rail runs that line.  I don't think they've ever operated a passenger line, and they'd likely consider it a distraction to their freight operations.  Back when BC Rail ran the line, there was a service connecting Vancouver to Prince George (bud cars), but I don't think it was profitable and they were mandated to keep it going by the gov't.  No private entity is going to jump into that business where they'd have to negotiate shit terms with CN.

I miss European trains.  Such a relaxing way to travel.

Aug. 31, 2021, 5:41 p.m.

Posted by: thaaad

It's a little funny that so many of us are so into bike parks and shuttling but kind of negative towards ebikes.

That's cuz trucks are cool and macho and ebikes are for wusses.. obviously.  

/s

Yup...funny that...

Aug. 31, 2021, 5:42 p.m.

It's a little funny that so many of us are so into bike parks and shuttling but kind of negative towards ebikes. I'm not a big fan of either myself so I don't have any skin in this game. If the purpose is to get to the top with relative ease and get a ton of laps it's hard to beat an ebike for that. Compared to shuttling or cutting down a ton of trees or building chairlifts an ebike is a pretty tidy solution. Wouldn't a lower cost solution be to set up a battery swapping facility of some kind at the bottom of Cypress rather than driving to the top so we can ride a chairlift?

Good point. Dunno how many ebike riders:

1) have more than one battery, they are pretty expensive and how long they take to charge I have no idea. 

2) Don't think that the ebikes can take the same punishment a DH rig can.

3) Ride a 40-50 pound ebike ride at the same speed as a DH bike in a bikepark? I know my old DH rig was heavy if not heavier but wonder how these hold up/handle really letting them rip on a flow jump track.  

Also don't think Cypress would build trails to ride without charging for the lift. Plus they built that really cool monorail ride thingy.

Aug. 31, 2021, 7:59 p.m.

I don't know if these things make any different, but interesting to find this:

https://www.change.org/p/cypress-mountain-please-open-a-bike-park-at-cypress-mountain 

Aug. 31, 2021, 9:05 p.m.

Posted by: bux-bux

... Cypress ... built that really cool monorail ride thingy.

Not as cool as the old Alpine Slide roller bob sled, but after someone was killed I think they were all shut down

Last edited by: taprider on Aug. 31, 2021, 10:32 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 31, 2021, 9:28 p.m.

I miss European trains. Such a relaxing way to travel.

I miss NSMBs old quoting system. And European trains.  Imagine taking a train from your home town to another country and be dropped off at the chairlift with your skis in hand.  For a day trip. 

Sethimus, Canadian trains are for grain and Chinese cars. And bitumen.  Not tourists.

Aug. 31, 2021, 9:31 p.m.

Posted by: DaveM

Posted by: Hepcat

Cypress Bowl bike park from '05 was a blast and everyone rode it. Always wondered what made them shut down

Really? I remember it being fun for a couple of runs and then the novelty wore off real quick.

I'm pretty sure it shut down to accomodate the Olympics construction.

A couple runs more than I ever tried, even though 6 shuttle laps were done weekly.   And yes, thank the Olympics and changes in ownership, I’m sure.

Sept. 1, 2021, 4:54 a.m.

I miss European trains. Such a relaxing way to travel.

I miss NSMBs old quoting system. And European trains.  Imagine taking a train from your home town to another country and be dropped off at the chairlift with your skis in hand.  For a day trip. 

Sethimus, Canadian trains are for grain and Chinese cars. And bitumen.  Not tourists.

time to nationalize the tracks and run trains on them by a public run operation…