Anyone know why none of the 3 ski hills on the shore run bike parks in the summer?

Aug. 29, 2021, 1:43 p.m.

Lots of hills in BC are running bikes in the summer, and with the number of riders locally, I can't see them being anything but hugely successful. The long-range outlook for winter snow isn't looking so good lately, either.

Anyone know if there is a back story to this? Zoning or local municipalities opposed, perhaps?

Its possible that having a bike park on the shore would take some pressure off for more park-style "flow" trails on the local trail networks.

Aug. 29, 2021, 1:47 p.m.

Grouse I think prefer the walking clients. They do just fine with those tourists and bikes in trams with tourists might be one of their issues. Cypress had a bike park for a few years before the Olympics. I don’t recall why they stopped. Perhaps being in a provincial park has some effect? I agree though, it seems like a no brainer.

Aug. 29, 2021, 4 p.m.

Once there is a bike park on the north shore watch for existing trails to start being decommisioned/banned one by one by one.

Aug. 29, 2021, 4:51 p.m.

God help any trail that is currently higher than most people want to go but immediately below a bike park too. I wont name trails but theyll become the Heart of Darknesses and Monkey Hands of the Shore.

All the kids can get picked-up end of day at The Dumpsters!

Last edited by: Ddean on Aug. 29, 2021, 4:51 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 29, 2021, 10:36 p.m.

There is some info about efforts to get a bike park going at Cypress post-Olympics in this thread: https://nsmb.com/forum/forum/the-shore-3/topic/cypress-bike-park-9448

Grouse built a couple reportedly lame trails a few summers ago to go with a MTB/eMTB rental program.

Aug. 30, 2021, 7:11 a.m.

Well they are building a whole commercial complex at the bottom of Cypress at the first switchback. And weren't they discussing a gondola from there as well right up to the ski hill? Calling @AlanB!!

Aug. 30, 2021, 7:52 a.m.

Yep, there was the the Cypress bike park, pre-2010. I think that suffered from the cost of a pass being too comparable to Whistler, with far lower quality/quantity. 

The lame ebike rentals they did up at Grouse the for a couple of years didn't really cater to actual mountain bikers, so no surprise that fizzled out pretty quickly. 

The Cypress development has been puffing smoke about embracing mountain bike as part of the local community culture, but as far as I'm concerned, that's probably just a bunch of feel-good BS.

There's a big plan awaiting approval to put a big ski hill right beside Chilliwack, and they are planning on XC and DH trail networks. I'd say that's probably the best bet for a hill near by.

Aug. 30, 2021, 9:46 a.m.

Posted by: tungsten

Once there is a bike park on the north shore watch for existing trails to start being decommisioned/banned one by one by one.

Agree totally.

Aug. 30, 2021, 9:52 a.m.

That will take years upon years. Consider what it takes to prep the terrain and build a chairlift.

Adapting an existing chairlift to take bikes and building some trails on already cleared terrain could be done comparatively quickly.

Aug. 30, 2021, 10:04 a.m.

Cypress Bowl bike park from '05 was a blast and everyone rode it. Always wondered what made them shut down

Aug. 30, 2021, 10:36 a.m.

Posted by: mammal

There's a big plan awaiting approval to put a big ski hill right beside Chilliwack, and they are planning on XC and DH trail networks. I'd say that's probably the best bet for a hill near by.

Depending on your location Whistler and Chilliwack are equidistant.  (101 vs 213 km for me).  The Wack has traffic to get through usually.   

Whistler is that way 🖕 (but sideways)

Aug. 30, 2021, 11:17 a.m.

Posted by: heckler

Depending on your location Whistler and Chilliwack are equidistant.  (101 vs 213 km for me).  The Wack has traffic to get through usually.   

Oh I know, and it would have to be pretty super duper to make me drive to Wack for park riding, as I live a stone's throw from Highway 1 and Lonsdale. But I don't see a closer hill whipping out plans for a bike park before then, so that would be my bet.

Aug. 30, 2021, 1:34 p.m.

in europe we would just go by train to both locations ¯\(ツ)

Aug. 30, 2021, 2:12 p.m.

Posted by: Sethimus

Depending on your location Whistler and Chilliwack are equidistant. (101 vs 213 km for me). The Wack has traffic to get through usually.

in europe we would just go by train to both locations ¯(ツ)

Population density in Canada: 4/km²

Population density in Europe: 34/km²

¯\(ツ)/¯

Last edited by: craw on Aug. 30, 2021, 2:13 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Aug. 30, 2021, 3:11 p.m.

Posted by: craw

Posted by: Sethimus

Depending on your location Whistler and Chilliwack are equidistant. (101 vs 213 km for me). The Wack has traffic to get through usually.

in europe we would just go by train to both locations ¯(ツ)

Population density in Canada: 4/km²

Population density in Europe: 34/km²

¯\(ツ)/¯

Major thread derail under way, but........

Population density in the Lower Mainland: 473/km²