Anyone here broken their arm?

July 10, 2006, 5:02 p.m.

I think the Radius is the smaller of the two bone, but it's the one that is responsible for the twisting and general moving of the arm, the ulna is the anchor. What that means for you: OW! THat's going to be tender for a long time indeed.
Oh yeah, casts suck too.

July 10, 2006, 6:33 p.m.

Aparently this is one of the most common mtn bike injuries….right up there with collarbones. Doesn't make you feel any better does it?
Anyway, I broke my right distal radius (non-displaced) last fall…cast for 4 1/2 weeks and back to making a fist with my hand in 6 weeks. I actually rode my HT to the gym the day after the cast came off. I wasn't much good at using a brake lever or really holding on at that point. BUT, If you merely need a place to rest your arm, then you can ride…LOL
I didn't freeride for about 4 months (but it was winter and there are better things to do like SKI!) I also needed time to get my mojo back!
Personally, (and I was off work for 7 weeks) I would listen to your doc.
Why? Because it will heal RIGHT and not ever bother you again! I did ALL my physio excerises often and it strenghtened back up great!
Good luck, I feel for ya pal!

July 10, 2006, 10:07 p.m.

I broke my arm, and it was rosscofat's fault. I was jumping chainless and he got lazy, didn't push hard enough, and i nose cased.

I think healing time depends on fracture. Just take it easy hopefully youll be good to go for Sept.

we can alwas blame it on ross

July 11, 2006, 3:52 p.m.

I broke my arm in pretty much the same place last year…
was about 8 weeks, possibly longer, till I rode but then did take it very easy…
You know when it's ok to ride, just don't try overdoing it too early, more damage if you disturb a healing break I think!
You can feel the strength coming back… It's when you go to get your cast off n you think yeh this is going to be cool but it's not! got my cast off early to go on a plane and man it was uncomfortable!!!
wish I'd had cast on for full 6 weeks…
hope it heals soon mate!
ps. sounds dumb but don't forget to keep moving your arm about!
you get surprisingly used to not using it! and can get very stiff shoulder etc…

russ…

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/947312/

July 11, 2006, 7:08 p.m.

cast for 4 1/2 weeks and back to making a fist with my hand in 6 weeks

Wow, I can make a fist already and it's only been 2 weeks. I'm only 17 though, how old are you cause that probably makes a big difference.

I'm happy to get outside and enjoy nature while I can, but I fear for the future of humanity