Another Outlook Letter Re: NS Trails.

Aug. 11, 2006, 2:56 p.m.

Despite the reference to Monica, I'd like to think that this topic could be addressed in a civilized manner….

A self-proclaimed XC rider and 2005 Green Party candidate has picked up where Monica Craver left off and written the following letter to the editor in this August 8th edition of the NS Outlook:

_Extreme sports

Editor;

With reference to 'Two extreme sports' (Outlook July 27). Monica Craver's letter seeks to find a solution or compromise between safety and the environmental damage versus the activity of mountain biking has upon it. She may very well have found the solution; isolate it like any other sport such as her example of skateboarding. Some may then argue that you then must isolate the other activities in our forests such as hiking.

Maybe, but I know hiking has a negligible effect on flora and fauna.

I love mountain biking, it is my favourite outdoor activity, it is fun, very social,exhilarating not to mention the health benefits.

My fellow mountain bikers may hate me for writing this but during my 12 years of XC mountain biking local hills I have definitely seen first hand environmental damage and serious erosion problems on the forest floor due to bad riding skills from skidding tires. Make no mistake about it.

Dirt bikes (motorcycles) have been banned in many forested areas such as the UBC endowment lands and other areas for safety and environmental reasons. I can tell you that many of the 'mountain bike downhill rigs' are little more than a motorcycle without an engine so make your own conclusions.

Banning the sport here I would not want to see but a more comprehensive management of it is definitely in order when there are environmental and safety concerns. If this means certain trails need to be closed then so be it because the environment comes first. Please don't misunderstand me, I know that the NSMBA puts many painstaking hours of volunteer trail maintenance and improvements and I applaud them for it but it's almost impossible for it to be anything but 'too little too late.' DNV council seems to bow to pressure from mountain biker lobbyists when it comes to election time but does this serve the best interests of the community as a whole? Why is there so much area on our mountains put aside and supported by district council for so few relative users. Makes you think it's a way of getting votes doesn't it? And most know Mayor Walton is an avid mountain biker as well.

Grouse Mountain Resorts and the GVRD should put their money where their mouths are with regard to the coveted and illusive "Alpine Plan" but so far they are not and so the district taxpayer ends up with the bill due to leniency and favouritism from DNV council. God forbid we should implement a fee or user permit for riders to use the trails like they do for golf greens, ski runs, and swimming pools.

We could use these fee monies for trail maintenance and mitigate further damage to the forests.

We need a strict plan in place for local mountain biking including strict maintenance of the trails we decide to keep open. The party at the expense of the forests is definitely over!

John Sharpe

North Vancouver _

Is it just me or is he a very uninformed political candidate and rider?

Aug. 11, 2006, 3:08 p.m.

does anyone even care about this dead horse anymore?

we need some new controversy, the whole trail and dumaresque thing is getting pretty boring.

Well, well I been movin' down to Florida.
And I'm gonna bowl me a perfect game.
Well I'm gonna cut off my leg down in Florida, child.
And I'm gonna dance one-legged off in the rain.

Aug. 11, 2006, 3:41 p.m.

what areas on fromme, cypress and seymour are crown land?
is there any precedent for collecting fee-for-use on crown land (by a municipality)?

Chirp

Aug. 11, 2006, 3:46 p.m.

God forbid we should implement a fee or user permit for riders to use the trails like they do for golf greens, ski runs, and swimming pools.

ok….. golf and ski hills are businesses, in operation to make money - Pools may be public, and serve more people, but let's look at the cost to the taxpayer of a pool vs the cost to a taxpayer for the NS trails.

Aug. 11, 2006, 3:51 p.m.

"God forbid we should implement a fee or user permit for riders to use the trails like they do for golf greens, ski runs, and swimming pools"

Last time I checked they don't maintain the trails… the NSMBA does with volunteer time and money. The fees are in place for maintenance, but you can't lump riding a bike down a mountain with the manicured grass of a golf course!

Golf Courses and Ski runs are an environmnetal disaster!

(Head in hands!)

Dan

www.steedcycles.com

Aug. 11, 2006, 4:24 p.m.

who cares?

this guy is a fuckign whiner who provided NO proof of any of his claims.

how many people have hiked the loop in lynn headwaters? that hiking trail is more eroded and nasty looking than any biking trail i have ever seen on seymour or fromme.

Aug. 11, 2006, 4:48 p.m.

i think the shore needs to bring back trail nazis.
this stuffs getting old.

Cove Peeler For Sale, cheap.

http://buysell.nsmb.com/showproduct.php?product=2717&cat=13

Aug. 11, 2006, 4:50 p.m.

I just cannot believe that 8 trails on fromme cause so much controversy for the environmentalists. I hope that before that new dempsey sub division was built that these people were hanging in the trees like they did over at the eagle ridge bluffs.

Im all for sustainable management etc, but 8 trails on fromme based on the amount of use that they get is such a small problem, i mean there's thousands and thousands and thousands of hectares of land behind there that is untouched. It would take 100 yrs of ppl riding on fromme without doing any maintenance for trees to die.

Anyways, its unbelievable that ppl can get so upset about a few bike trails….

i could go on forever but think my point is made

cheers

Aug. 11, 2006, 5:04 p.m.

I just cannot believe that 8 trails on fromme cause so much controversy for the environmentalists. I hope that before that new dempsey sub division was built that these people were hanging in the trees like they did over at the eagle ridge bluffs.

Im all for sustainable management etc, but 8 trails on fromme based on the amount of use that they get is such a small problem, i mean there's thousands and thousands and thousands of hectares of land behind there that is untouched. It would take 100 yrs of ppl riding on fromme without doing any maintenance for trees to die.

Anyways, its unbelievable that ppl can get so upset about a few bike trails….

i could go on forever but think my point is made

cheers

housing devlopments = GOOD. money for developers, lotsa construction jobs, and INCREASED TAX BASE == lower taxes … cause lower taxes is THE be-all end-all in the district

mtb trails = dirty hippies from surrey coming into our backyards and changin in the streets and pissing and shitting. and look at the damage they are doing!

clearly north van residents value lower taxes over a healthy recreational activity … can we all say it together … NOT IN MY BACK YARD …

Aug. 11, 2006, 5:58 p.m.

who cares?

this guy is a fuckign whiner who provided NO proof of any of his claims.

how many people have hiked the loop in lynn headwaters? that hiking trail is more eroded and nasty looking than any biking trail i have ever seen on seymour or fromme.

Wonder how much actual trail work this genius has put in.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Aug. 11, 2006, 9:11 p.m.

LOL. You're kidding, right?

Aug. 11, 2006, 9:31 p.m.

O dear!

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

Aug. 11, 2006, 9:43 p.m.

I went to an all candidates meeting for the last provincial election, and this guy Sharpe was there as the Green candidate. He actually came across as quite personable….however…..he worships at the altar of Ernie.
As I recall, he had nothing of substance to say. He's not anyone to take seriously.

Team Crafty

Aug. 11, 2006, 11:22 p.m.

You obviously don't know him right? Go easy on him Giggler.

I can't believe Sharpe would say that! Good luck John when you are at your LBS next time.

Aug. 12, 2006, 12:49 a.m.

I have NEVER met a self proclaimed XC person do any amount of trail work.
I have yet to meet any self proclaimed XC person think that DH/FR people
are on the same level they are. So far (and I'm sure there are some that
are different), EVERY XC person I've met was a self righteous indignent
kook. This includes the owner of the one and only LBS I go to. He only treats
me good because I resemble a dollar sign.[end of rant]

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons