another "only bike in VC" Question

1 bike to rule them all (but not for shopping)

Strive
75%
Spectral
25%
Total votes: 4
June 22, 2018, 8:09 a.m.

Moving to VC in a couple of weeks and currently have a Scott Spark 29er for XC and had a Nukeproof AM for AM/DH. Sold the AM bike as moved to country that didnt have Am/DH and have just been rocking the XC.

Id like to sell the Spark (before I move) and then pick up a rig in VC. Im looking at the Canyon Strive vs the Spectral - am tending towards the strive as am a sucker for gimmicks (shapeshifter) but the spectral also reads really well. Budget is tight - $2k and these 2 seem to be the bets at that price point.

I have a beater for poping to the shop...

I want to be able to handle "most" trails  - not too keen to hug big drops  but want to be able to have a bike (rider ability aside, which is a big aside i know) what would you all suggest?

June 22, 2018, 10:19 a.m.

What is VC?

June 22, 2018, 8:43 p.m.

Those guys in black jammies?

June 22, 2018, 9:29 p.m.

I assume those are both 27.5,cant see where it specifies wheel size on the strive. In 27.5 I don't recommend going less than 150 rear travel. I think the spectral might be a little little.

As for the shock gimmick, meh. I have 150mm rear travel and prefer it left fully on when climbing. Good suspension is good up and down Imo. That being said there is a lot of spring on that bike and if the Geo will definitely ride like a big bike and it probably pedals uphill like poo. I wouldn't buy either. I prefer something I just sit on and pedal and don't have to worry what "mode" it is in. I think the Sc Bronson and the evil insurgent nail the Geo for a do everything VC (Vancouver?) bike. Perfect balance of pedaling and descending in a 27.5 imo. It figures that I have the insurgent and my wife has a Bronson - so I am biased. 

This all being said if they hit your price point and nothing else does, I'm sure both are decent.

June 23, 2018, 7:13 a.m.

Vancouver. But did hit an awesome trail in Cape Town called “Ho chi minh” once if that counts?

June 23, 2018, 7:32 a.m.

Posted by: craw

What is VC?

I was wondering too

Last edited by: taprider on June 23, 2018, 7:33 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 23, 2018, 7:53 a.m.

Your DH rig will be fine for shuttles and Whistler bike park. Any modern slack geo AM bike with 140+mm of travel will be totally fine here.

June 23, 2018, 9:41 a.m.

Why buy a mail order bike 2wks before moving to Vancouver? You're moving to the Mecca, buy something from a local shop when you get there. 

Or used. There are a trillion good used mtb's available in the VC.

June 23, 2018, 12:29 p.m.

Posted by: craw

Any modern slack geo AM bike with 140+mm of travel will be totally fine here.

This. Both the Strive and the Spectral will be fine. The Strive is maybe a bit more stable, the Spectral a bit more nimble. I've only ridden last year's Spectral but that's a really really fun bike and surprisingly capable. Also see Uncle Dave's review.

However, I don't think Canyon ships to Canada? You may want to look at YT or Commencal with your budget, or the local used market as Hepcat already suggested.

June 24, 2018, 4:55 p.m.

Cheers. Definitely checking out what YT and com have and will also look at the used market.

so keen!

June 25, 2018, 11:05 a.m.

Canyon doesn't have distribution/support in Canada yet, so I would go YT or Commencal if you want to do direct sales, otherwise you will be dealing with US/Euro shipping if any warranty issues come up. I would also avoid the Shapeshifter personally, maybe they've finally fixed the issues but why chance it. I ride a Jeffsy (150/150) for my trail bike which I find perfect for sea to sky riding and then have a DH bike for the park and odd shuttle day.