Another mountain bike injury on Seymour?

April 20, 2016, 9:48 a.m.

Well there we have it. Still rollable. When I looked at it last, I thought the roll looked sketchy vs trying to drop it.

Then again, the bike looks to be a 29r, so don't go trying this on a little old 26r or one of those tweener 27.5 bikes, there could be no happy ending.

Yep that is a 29'er (Instinct) in full XC mode (no dropper). Also rider is young/fearless/less breakable. The photo shooter who is old and breakable rolled it on a 27.5, but with dropper post, more travel and less style. ;-)

To be fair, while the roll was pretty smooth, neither of us was too stoked to launch it so kudos to those that do…

www.differentbikes.ca
North Vancouver | West Vancouver | Vancouver Broadway |

April 20, 2016, 10:25 a.m.

Yep that is a 29'er (Instinct) in full XC mode (no dropper). Also rider is young/fearless/less breakable. The photo shooter who is old and breakable rolled it on a 27.5, but with dropper post, more travel and less style. ;-)

To be fair, while the roll was pretty smooth, neither of us was too stoked to launch it so kudos to those that do…

I am also in the older and more breakable camp and on a 27.5. Funny how features look different to each of us. To me the roll looks sketchy, but a little pop to get over the lip and down to the landing seems easier (notice I didn't say launch, as I really don't launch it. I doubt my back tire gets more than a few inches off the ground)

Whatever works and gets you done the mountain with a smile on your face.

April 20, 2016, 10:40 a.m.

you old man. kids these days are way to soft.

hahahah.

off topic a bit here but i think one of the things contributing to apparent lack of riding skills is the increase in bike tech - bike tech is allowing people to ride with a lower skillset. it's kinda like that new vid for rocky with wade in it, the guy is old and all washed up and he's still killing it so it's gotta be the bikes.

seriously though, i do see a lack of trail skills out there compared to years ago when suspension/geometry wasn't as good and people had to finess the bikes way more. sidewalks may have something to do with it as well.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

April 20, 2016, 11:03 a.m.

I am also in the older and more breakable camp and on a 27.5. Funny how features look different to each of us. To me the roll looks sketchy, but a little pop to get over the lip and down to the landing seems easier (notice I didn't say launch, as I really don't launch it. I doubt my back tire gets more than a few inches off the ground)

I find reading stuff like this fakes me out a bit. When I last rolled this drop on my 27.5 hardtail I didn't think twice about it. Now when I look at it it is mindfucking me even though it's not gnarly at all really. Another thing that gets me now is the teeter on pipeline where the guy died. I've ridden it like 100 times but ever since I don't try it anymore. I always start thinking, what if I get on it and it doesn't come down and I have to bail off. Maybe I'm just getting old…

April 20, 2016, 11:48 a.m.

My problem is I've started this hobby later in life than most and I never did have the balls to do a lot of the high-consequence stuff. Hooray for walk arounds. I guess I'm just an xc guy when it comes down to it, not a shore freerider.

Anyone got lycra for sale??
:love:

Wrong. Always.

April 20, 2016, 12:33 p.m.

Totally agree. I've gone over the handlebars too many times to try to roll this; a gentle 'drop' is way more in my comfort level. It's always interesting to see how other people do things; it really opens your eyes to the possibilities.

April 20, 2016, 1:37 p.m.

Yeah, thats not a hard roll but if someone hits their brakes cresting it, its steep enough that they're going to high side.

All it takes is a chicken to run across the trail or a $50 bill on the ground or a top-less sunbather in the forest and its a face plant about to happen. Gnar isnt always the cause!

April 20, 2016, 1:50 p.m.

hahahah.

off topic a bit here but i think one of the things contributing to apparent lack of riding skills is the increase in bike tech - bike tech is allowing people to ride with a lower skillset. it's kinda like that new vid for rocky with wade in it, the guy is old and all washed up and he's still killing it so it's gotta be the bikes.

seriously though, i do see a lack of trail skills out there compared to years ago when suspension/geometry wasn't as good and people had to finess the bikes way more. sidewalks may have something to do with it as well.

agreed

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

April 24, 2016, 5:58 p.m.

I rolled it this aft on the right side - it was actually a lot easier than it looked like it would be as I approached it from above. E29.

April 24, 2016, 8:13 p.m.

Out riding last night, happened to be taking some (bad) iPhone shots at Floppy entrance. Still rollable, pretty smooth…

Why wouldn't you just manual through that. Were talking about an 18 inch drop here.

…OK,after further review,maybe 27.75"

Pastor of Muppets

April 24, 2016, 8:15 p.m.

hahahah.

Boom

Pastor of Muppets

April 26, 2016, 4:52 p.m.

shit happens but that looks like a pretty easy-peasy move. I guess that's always when the injuries happen

Big thing that changed vs a bunch of years ago from what I can see is that most people don't ride with any protection any more, or very little at least. XC lids are the norm; it's very rare to see someone wearing elbow pads and even knee pads aren't as common as in the past. If you're an experienced rider the chances of falling are lower and maybe the consequences of getting mangled are lower, but if you're a new rider having troubles on something like that easy roll-over in the above photos wearing a full-face and some solid protection is probably not a bad idea until you get over the learning curve.

April 26, 2016, 5:31 p.m.

This and Mark's point combined.

Now that the solar powered riders are out it is crazy how many newer riders I'm bumping into on very poorly setup super-capable bikes (Reign, Enduro, Process, etc) with zero protective gear.

If you're going to run your catapult… I mean bike… With your rear shock stiffer and way faster than your fork, and then shred it downhill on the hairy edge of control at least wear a full face?

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

April 27, 2016, 7:40 p.m.

I find reading stuff like this fakes me out a bit. When I last rolled this drop on my 27.5 hardtail I didn't think twice about it. Now when I look at it it is mindfucking me even though it's not gnarly at all really. Another thing that gets me now is the teeter on pipeline where the guy died. I've ridden it like 100 times but ever since I don't try it anymore. I always start thinking, what if I get on it and it doesn't come down and I have to bail off. Maybe I'm just getting old…

Lol. Same here. I too go around the pipeline teeter out of respect for the deceased. Or at least, that's what I shamelessly tell myself as my excuse to go around. Maybe that comes with age, I seem to have no shortage in my bag of excuses that I carry around with me these days.

And this discussion about the Floppy Bunny entrance is just another thing that's probably going to go into my bag of excuses. While I admit it can be potentially intimidating at first glance, I always thought that entrance was pretty smooth however you prefer it, roll or drop, as long as you don't over think it, hesitate, grab too much brake, go way too slow or way too fast, y'know, the usual no-nos. But next time, I'm going to have to stop and check it out (never a bad idea really to check stuff out no matter how many times you've done it before), and I will probably think about it for an extra few seconds or so at least. Which is fine, thinking is usually a good thing, but too much thinking is a bad thing. Think in moderation I guess.

April 27, 2016, 7:54 p.m.

Lol. Same here. I too go around the pipeline teeter out of respect for the deceased. Or at least, that's what I shamelessly tell myself as my excuse to go around. Maybe that comes with age, I seem to have no shortage in my bag of excuses that I carry around with me these days.

And this discussion about the Floppy Bunny entrance is just another thing that's probably going to go into my bag of excuses. While I admit it can be potentially intimidating at first glance, I always thought that entrance was pretty smooth however you prefer it, roll or drop, as long as you don't over think it, hesitate, grab too much brake, go way too slow or way too fast, y'know, the usual no-nos. But next time, I'm going to have to stop and check it out (never a bad idea really to check stuff out no matter how many times you've done it before), and I will probably think about it for an extra few seconds or so at least. Which is fine, thinking is usually a good thing, but too much thinking is a bad thing. Think in moderation I guess.

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey!