Another mountain bike injury on Seymour?

April 19, 2016, 6:20 a.m.

Are you referring to the entrance drop, down the wood ramp and then drop to match the transition angle (bypass entrance is just prior to the trail sign).

Or are you referring to the drop about 150m in after the first kind of bermed left hand corner.

Neither are rolls, the entrance drop used to be rollable but is no longer.

FWIW my son has been wanting to drop the entrance, but I keep telling him no. He does get the second drop after the bermed corner

I was talking about the entrance drop. Because it has the nice roll out, speed is not that essential as long as your weight is back as if you were going to roll it. I'm now usually on the brakes for about 1/2 of the top ramp and then let the momentum of the bottom 1/2 carry me over the 'drop'. If you want more air, then you can do the whole thing with no brakes like I did the first time.:damn:

April 19, 2016, 6:26 a.m.

This kind of thing reminds me that I really should take a course. Improving my skills would likely go a long way towards reducing the chance of these kinds of injury.

Wrong. Always.

April 19, 2016, 7:30 a.m.

I was talking about the entrance drop. Because it has the nice roll out, speed is not that essential as long as your weight is back as if you were going to roll it. I'm now usually on the brakes for about 1/2 of the top ramp and then let the momentum of the bottom 1/2 carry me over the 'drop'. If you want more air, then you can do the whole thing with no brakes like I did the first time.:damn:

That is what I had thought. The entrance drop can still be done at very slow speed, I crawl over it, just barely getting off the ground, pick up the bike as I go over the lip and point the front end down to the landing. Definitely could hit is faster, but there is a bit of a corner at the bottom and big old tree off to the right.

I riding buddy who is learning, rolled it before the changes. He was so concerned about the roll that he pretty much forgot to corner after he got the down the ramp and caught a part of the tree. He was okay so we could have a good laugh right away.

Any word on the rider that was recently hurt. Hopefully, just a couple of bruises and they are good to go.

April 19, 2016, 9:58 a.m.

back in the day we used something called a pedal kick. you could land like 8ft drops to flat starting off with next to no speed at all.

my fav pedal kick moment was with yoda at the woodlot where the lack of a pedal kick resulted in a spectacular crash and some hilarity after as yoda wasn't hurt.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

April 19, 2016, 10:21 a.m.

The entrance drop on Floppy is smaller than the new wooden drop but tougher because of the downward angle, easier to go nose heavy. I wouldn't go too slow off it unless you can wheelie drop like old school. The new wooden drop is pretty straight forward as you get a great view of the take off and landing as you approach it. I find it gets squirrely with the "jump" after the new drop as it is totally blown apart and is more like a mini rock garden now and best to be avoided. The last kicker in that series over the logs is as good as ever.

Back to the original topic, the wife went too slow off the first boogie nights drop and went down pretty hard. (Thanks so much to Kelly and everyone else who lent a hand) Took her to lions gate for x rays to be on the safe side, lots of bruises but nothing broken. Both nurses commented that they had seen numerous injuries from Seymour that day and hers was the most minor. Sounds like there are lots of injuries daily that the riding community may not be aware of.

April 19, 2016, 10:23 a.m.

Haven't ridden floppy since November but when I did, I rolled the entrance drop and it didn't feel too sketch. Has it eroded a lot over winter? Guess I'll just look next time up.

April 19, 2016, 11:34 a.m.

People that ride the shore on clipless pedals deserve the second annual BIG BALLS AWARD.

Wrong. Always.

April 19, 2016, 11:50 a.m.

back in the day we used something called a pedal kick. you could land like 8ft drops to flat starting off with next to no speed at all.

my fav pedal kick moment was with yoda at the woodlot where the lack of a pedal kick resulted in a spectacular crash and some hilarity after as yoda wasn't hurt.

you old man. kids these days are way to soft.

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

April 19, 2016, 12:01 p.m.

People that ride the shore on clipless pedals deserve the second annual BIG BALLS AWARD.

Cant even sit on a bike without them. Feel naked! But Ill tell you, even though Ive been clipped in for 30 or so years, having moved to the shore only last fall makes me wonder if being clipped in in some places (like the steps on 5th Horseman) is a great idea.

Try learning how to use a dropper post while clipped in headed for certain death!

April 19, 2016, 1:08 p.m.

Love being locked in it make the ride so much more intense at times:)

The raw, primitive, unrefined trails that see little to no maintenance are the kinds of trails that really build skill. What kind of skills do you learn riding a trail that was made by a machine, groomed to perfection and void of any rocks, roots or other obstacles that could send you careening over the handlebars?

April 19, 2016, 1:09 p.m.

clipless means you don't have to think about what your feet are doing, just ride feet up tidy like!

April 19, 2016, 5:19 p.m.

I love clipless. Been riding clipless for over 15 years. Swapped to flats on both bikes for a full season and could get pretty comfortable, but still not as comfortable clips.

Ride what you like.

April 19, 2016, 8:40 p.m.

The entrance drop on Floppy is smaller than the new wooden drop but tougher because of the downward angle, easier to go nose heavy. I wouldn't go too slow off it unless you can wheelie drop like old school. The new wooden drop is pretty straight forward as you get a great view of the take off and landing as you approach it. I find it gets squirrely with the "jump" after the new drop as it is totally blown apart and is more like a mini rock garden now and best to be avoided. The last kicker in that series over the logs is as good as ever.

Back to the original topic, the wife went too slow off the first boogie nights drop and went down pretty hard. (Thanks so much to Kelly and everyone else who lent a hand) Took her to lions gate for x rays to be on the safe side, lots of bruises but nothing broken. Both nurses commented that they had seen numerous injuries from Seymour that day and hers was the most minor. Sounds like there are lots of injuries daily that the riding community may not be aware of.

shit yes. sadly. the hospitals are filled with injured gravity sportsters. i've been in the ER way too much for my liking in the last few yrs and when you see the doc, they're like, no shit eh, riding your mtn bike, you don't say. oh, i see, dirt bike eh, how bout that. oh, you're a skier ah, well, shit happens eh. when you live and play in the mtns, you fill the hospitals, i think it's a fair reality. however, there is also a shit tonne of slip n falls of all kinds. it's a parade of the unlucky getting outta the car, down the steps, outta the shower, on and on. in the Comox Valley, half the docs or more are riders/boarders and skiers. they get it.

April 20, 2016, 8:47 a.m.

Haven't ridden floppy since November but when I did, I rolled the entrance drop and it didn't feel too sketch. Has it eroded a lot over winter? Guess I'll just look next time up.

Out riding last night, happened to be taking some (bad) iPhone shots at Floppy entrance. Still rollable, pretty smooth…

www.differentbikes.ca
North Vancouver | West Vancouver | Vancouver Broadway |

April 20, 2016, 9:37 a.m.

Out riding last night, happened to be taking some (bad) iPhone shots at Floppy entrance. Still rollable, pretty smooth…

Well there we have it. Still rollable. When I looked at it last, I thought the roll looked sketchy vs trying to drop it.

Then again, the bike looks to be a 29r, so don't go trying this on a little old 26r or one of those tweener 27.5 bikes, there could be no happy ending.