Another gravel path... Courtesy of MEC and NSMBA

April 24, 2013, 7:38 p.m.

I see this sentiment come up in every one of these threads, and I'm going to disagree.

NSMBA are not some sort of "elected officials" who are being paid to represent their constituents (mountain bikers). They are a group of volunteers who are volunteering their own time, not only with the trail work, but all the political behind the scenes nonsense while you and I are riding our bikes.

If you want to dictate what direction that goes in…the ball is in your court to step up as a director. Internet complaining isn't going to do anything.

read this part one more time.

April 24, 2013, 9:16 p.m.

However there are two ways this can be looked at…

A. They are not elected and are volunteering time. Therefore they have the right to dictate.

B. They are not elected and are volunteering time. Therefore because they were not elected do they have the right dictate?

Neither is right… Neither is wrong. It just seems to me it can't be widled down to something so simple.

April 24, 2013, 9:26 p.m.

eroded does not equal technical, worn out does not equal technical,

I don't agree with this statement. There are certainly technical aspects to trails that aren't caused by wear and tear or erosion, but I'd say that these are rare in comparison to the amount of gnar caused by erosion. The rooty/rocky steep style of trail that emerged as the topsoil wore away is the type of technical trail the Shore is known for.

It can be argued that the original trails weren't eroded, techy trails, but in comparison with the other trails people at the time were riding they were gnarly trails. That's why Digger's first movies were so amazing. While the trails have eroded and become more technically challenging, the level of bike technology and rider skill has progressed as well. By making the trails easier to ride and removing the word challenging from the NSMBA mission statement we're fundamentally changing mountain biking in Vancouver. I think this is why there is such resistance to the change. People liked that the 'mountain biking club' used to be exclusive because membership was reserved to those who wanted the challenge and could stand the pain and cost of frequent crashes, but I remember everyone I met being super-friendly and encouraging when I started riding.

It's been said again and again that we can't keep the same old style of eroded, chunder-fest trails because land managers won't allow it. But the trails have been in this state for years now and for any rider not involved in advocacy there's been no problem at all. It might help to show how we're close to losing the trails we love so much. This would probably help people realize that the change is necessary. This might be why some see TAP as a vehicle for selling more bikes rather than for protecting the trails.

As others have said, it would also help this discussion to make sure that some techy trails are protected so that this style of riding can persist. (trails for all remember?) Otherwise we're going to find a large percentage (judging by the results of this completely un-representative poll) of riders putting in illegal lines down the steepest part of the mountain that erode into technical challenges.

welcome to the bottom of my post.

April 24, 2013, 9:26 p.m.

A. They are not elected and are volunteering time. Therefore they have the right to dictate.

B. They are not elected and are volunteering time. Therefore because they were not elected do they have the right dictate?

Neither is right… Neither is wrong. It just seems to me it can't be widled down to something so simple.

"whittled"

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

April 24, 2013, 9:27 p.m.

Question.

Why is it assumed that the OP is acting like he's hardcore?

…Judging by the poll on this thread,as flawed as it may be,it appears to be more of a reality that smoother trails aren't the product that the masses desire.

…And going for a ride with Simmons to prove how HC you are won't change a thing about the direction of trailwork on trails that folks are talking about,so let's put that one to rest.

You are actually giving dignity to that poll? Can you see the two options to choose from? The choices are:

1) You agree with me that NSMBA is turning the Shore into gravel path, and you don't care

and

2) You agree with me that NSMBA is turning the Shore into gravel path, and you don't like it

It is an idiotic poll, and an idiotic complaint.

:bandit:

April 24, 2013, 9:35 p.m.

"whittled"

I apologize. I have struggled with dyslexia since childhood, spell check does not always catch my mistakes, nor does reading over what I have typed a multitude of times. However if you feel the need to pull only that error from my posts instead of the deeper meaning of the words themselves. Then by all means, do so.

April 24, 2013, 9:38 p.m.

You are actually giving dignity to that poll? Can you see the two options to choose from? The choices are:

1) You agree with me that NSMBA is turning the Shore into gravel path, and you don't care

and

2) You agree with me that NSMBA is turning the Shore into gravel path, and you don't like it

It is an idiotic poll, and an idiotic complaint.

The intent behind the post may be "idiotic", however the fact that so many people have taken the time to to click it, and the fact that it oddly enough is very close.. does still speak for something however small that may be..

April 24, 2013, 9:40 p.m.

and an idiotic complaint.

sorry but you're wrong here.

while the original post was inflammatory, there's nothing inherently wrong with complaining or wondering why a log got cut of the trail when it seems that it was not a big hazzard or detriment to the trails current or future condition.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

April 24, 2013, 9:58 p.m.

Well, technically the directors are elected and are volunteering (i.e. they are not paid) to a CRA registered charity. Therefore they have a duty of loyalty to the organisation. So in fact, both A and B are incorrect. Does being elected give anyone a right to be a dictator? One certainly hopes not. So I think that what you see is that the organisation is being shaped by people who show up and put in the time to understand all the issues.

It really wouldn't be too hard to change the direction of the NSMBA if folks were motivated to see it that way. Put together a slate, get some votes, and voila! Although I suspect that a "pro-chunder slate" of candidates might actually trigger the first truly contested election in NSMBA history!

April 24, 2013, 10:01 p.m.

while the original post was inflammatory, there's nothing inherently wrong with complaining or wondering why a log got cut of the trail when it seems that it was not a big hazzard or detriment to the trails current or future condition.

Perhaps I am, it happens often.

But what makes its idiotic is not because someone is voicing their opinion or expressing a concern. It is the childish tone of entitlement that drips from it in every sentence. No one owes this dude anything - especially the trail builders - and he/she should get it hammered in the head.

I am, just like the OP, a non-contributing no body that just heads on these amazing trails and reaps the benefit of hour and hours of hard work volunteers have put in to make it possible. I am sure that every single one of these volunteers would have preferred to be riding their bike, rather than hours in the evenings and weekend breaking their back shoveling. I for one, just count my blessing and try to enjoy every second my wheels touch the golden gravel they pave.

Sure, if they came and directly asked my opinion, I might make a few suggestions. Or if I headed out to every trail day, then yes, I might express something. Otherwise, I keep my yap closed and encourage the other non-contributing parasites to do the same.

:bandit:

April 24, 2013, 10:26 p.m.

Perhaps I am, it happens often.

But what makes its idiotic is not because someone is voicing their opinion or expressing a concern. It is the childish tone of entitlement that drips from it in every sentence. No one owes this dude anything - especially the trail builders - and he/she should get it hammered in the head.

I am, just like the OP, a non-contributing no body that just heads on these amazing trails and reaps the benefit of hour and hours of hard work volunteers have put in to make it possible. I am sure that every single one of these volunteers would have preferred to be riding their bike, rather than hours in the evenings and weekend breaking their back shoveling. I for one, just count my blessing and try to enjoy every second my wheels touch the golden gravel they pave.

Sure, if they came and directly asked my opinion, I might make a few suggestions. Or if I headed out to every trail day, then yes, I might express something. Otherwise, I keep my yap closed and encourage the other non-contributing parasites to do the same.

^This. Quite coherent for Bluth's alter ego.

April 24, 2013, 11:03 p.m.

THEY'RE NOT DICTATING YOU OVERANALYZING MORON. THEY'RE DOING THE WORK BECAUSE OTHER MORON PUNTERS LIKE THAT MACAROO MORON DON'T WANT TO DO THE WORK BUT JUST WANT TO WHINE WHINE WHINE.

April 24, 2013, 11:37 p.m.

THEY'RE NOT DICTATING YOU OVERANALYZING MORON. THEY'RE DOING THE WORK BECAUSE OTHER MORON PUNTERS LIKE THAT MACAROO MORON DON'T WANT TO DO THE WORK BUT JUST WANT TO WHINE WHINE WHINE.

Hmmm twelve, a grasshopper and purple.

April 24, 2013, 11:46 p.m.

Mac,

I'm Mathew, President of the NSMBA. Thank you for your input. On Monday morning, I read the email you sent us Sunday night and forwarded it to the board of directors for discussion. Work has been very busy for me for the past three days, and I have not had a chance to respond.

As you have probably read on our website, the current Bridle Path project is intended to enhance the trail, specifically targeting drainage and structure replacement, with the goal of enhancing the experience for a wide range of users of the trail.

While Bridle Path is considered the "beginner/intermediate" XC trail on the North Shore, it requires an advanced to expert level of skill and fitness to ride in its current state. The work that is underway (including the climbing only lines, the directional signage, and the removal of certain trail features) is designed to create a trail that fits the "beginner/intermediate" expectation, as well as inspire and enable more people to experience nature and lead active outdoor lives. These two excellent values are community specific, not NSMBA or MEC specific.

We have also taken careful consideration to keep a number of technical sections of the trail for those users who choose to challenge themselves.

As always, I know the NSMBA can't make everyone happy with the work we do, but its very important for me to hear your feedback, understand your point of view and let you know why we have made the decisions we have. As the internet isn't the best forum for discussion, I'd be happy to meet you on the trail so we can walk/ride the sections in question and discuss. Please feel free to send me an email at [email protected] to set up a time. Thanks!

Mathew

April 24, 2013, 11:49 p.m.

the people doing the work are doing it because they want to, because they enjoy it and probably also because of a sense of responsibility. unfortunately not everybody that rides is on the same page.

sure the op went about voicing his opinion in a bit of a reactionary manner, but that doesn't make the point he was trying to raise any less valid.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer