Action needed.

Jan. 10, 2011, 2:27 p.m.

is it private land? tenure? BC timber sales?

what are the deets?

im assuming the trail has lots of woodwork?? that may be a pain to work around and preserve from an operational standpoint

Jan. 10, 2011, 3:02 p.m.

is it private land? tenure? BC timber sales?

what are the deets?

im assuming the trail has lots of woodwork?? that may be a pain to work around and preserve from an operational standpoint

It's BCTS' tenure. The trail has a ton of woodwork, some of it getting fairly old. The trail connects from one logging road to another, and runs through mature timber (Fd/Cw/Hw). Shouldn't really be that big of a shock that it would be on the chopping block one day.

River City Cycle Club - www.rivercitycycle.ca

Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

Jan. 10, 2011, 6:21 p.m.

sounds like a good opportunity for a rebuild or a new line somewhere else…

that being said, i've seen BCTS act very cautiously in terms of compromising rec values.

if the trail is really that awesome, it might be worth going to bat for

Jan. 10, 2011, 6:33 p.m.

if the trail is really that awesome, it might be worth going to bat for

the local club needs to approach MoNRO (previously MoTCA) and work towards getting the SSC trails designated and a partnership agreement signed. That way BCTS cannot log/impact a trail without consultation and mitigation. There is no legal requirement to manage for non-designated (illegal) rec trails (aka routes).

waiting until the ribbons are up and the block is surveyed before sounding the alarm is a bit too late in the game imo.

http://www.sitesandtrailsbc.ca/about/provincial-trail-strategy.aspx

Jan. 10, 2011, 6:37 p.m.

..I'm all fired up from DNZ …

they are cutting the heck out of the place right now. today was the first day i havent seen them hauling in months.

the same no governance that lets us build fairly freely is letting crazy , crazy logging go down right now.

come up and ride and spend some money..things are tight here and logging is paying bills for people…

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000985650049

from:Elphinstone Logging Focus Let it be know that BCTS plans on logging some of the last remaining, low elevation old-growth forest on Mt. Elphinstone forest area Spring 2011. You can help by saying No when you send a message to Dana
Hayden, Deputy Minister of Forests, Victoria, BC Ph (250) 356-5012, email:
[email protected]

Jan. 11, 2011, 10:48 a.m.

Time to start spiking trees,sneaking into the parking lot where the trucks are and loosing bolts. Just sayin.
Preserving old growth should be manditory.Natures way of re foresting was uncontroled fires every hundred years,started by lightening.
That way after the fires the ground became more fertile and cleared room for re growth naturally.

"Looks like a Canoe with the seats kicked out of it !"

Jan. 11, 2011, 10:54 a.m.

the local club needs to approach MoNRO (previously MoTCA) and work towards getting the SSC trails designated and a partnership agreement signed. That way BCTS cannot log/impact a trail with consultation and mitigation. There is no legal requirement to manage for non-designated (illegal) rec trails (aka routes).

waiting until the ribbons are up and the block is surveyed before sounding the alarm is a bit too late in the game imo.

http://www.sitesandtrailsbc.ca/about/provincial-trail-strategy.aspx

THIS.

The FVMBA has had success in this manner and have just received 5+ years notice on trails being affected by logging in the future on Sumas. The Woodlot owner has offered cash and labor to help rebuild the trails before and after the proposed logging.

We ride our bikes in working forests; logging is a fact of life.

Jan. 11, 2011, 10:55 a.m.

Time to start spiking trees,sneaking into the parking lot where the trucks are and loosing bolts. Just sayin.
Preserving old growth should be manditory.Natures way of re foresting was uncontroled fires every hundred years,started by lightening.
That way after the fires the ground became more fertile and cleared room for re growth naturally.

Not sure if you are suggesting acts of vandalism that could result in injured workers, or suggesting the forests get torched. Either way, there are much better ways to protect your local trails that don't result in you being behind bars.

….and fires every hundred years was not 'natures' way on the coast.

Jan. 11, 2011, 11:16 a.m.

Time to start spiking trees,sneaking into the parking lot where the trucks are and loosing bolts.

This might be the dumbest thing I've ever read on NSMB…advocating things that could injure or kill people just doing their job.

We build trails in a working forest. How do you get to most of the trails? Logging roads.

Jan. 11, 2011, 12:18 p.m.

:rolleyes:

Jan. 11, 2011, 2:55 p.m.

Time to start spiking trees,sneaking into the parking lot where the trucks are and loosing bolts.

i understand being upset, i personally hate this logging.. but that kind of action is truly crazy.

around here the guy driving the truck or logging vehicle could be your neighbor,client,friend whatever..you are going to see him and his family at the pub ,at the pool ,at the grocery store etc…its a small town..

when i see these guys on the hill i pull way over and wave.

if you want to have an impact email or call the min of forestry..or chain yourself to a tree ….

send a message to Dana
Hayden, Deputy Minister of Forests, Victoria, BC Ph (250) 356-5012, email:
[email protected]

Jan. 11, 2011, 8:14 p.m.

Cunning Stunts is not planned to be logged. The article is wrong. Rest easy. You will get to ride again and clean it one day. Best to inform yourself about things before talk of spiking.

Jan. 12, 2011, 7:29 p.m.

Dont worry with all this Global warming the pine beetle is on its way,to destroy all our beloved forest. There is signs of it in the sea to sky corridor.
Clear cut is every were were people do not see, i spent 15 years on a commercial fish boat and seen destruction all up Johnston strait and Queen Charlotte Islands.(i remember someone cut down the golden tree a sacrid Native symbol)
You can still go to jail just for protesting.Most of our lumber is exported it is the fourth biggest industry in B.C.under Tourism,Selling Hydro power to the U.S.and Grow op's.
Construction industry here uses steel stud instead of wood framing ,cause it is cheaper.
So pardon me if i get pissed off about raping the natural resources for $. I was "just say'in" it was here say . I find anything to do with politics ,and trail preservation groups to be at a stalemate.

I look at all the trails proposed ,and already destroyed by housing developments.Examples are Burke mnt,[HTML_REMOVED] Eagle ridge.I'm sure Highlands at Ledge veiw .
The list goes on,Big corps like, Interfor do not care about a small user group that uses the forest as a recreation.
With the U.S. dollar at parity with our loonie ,you don't think foreign investment will not jump all over our resources like flys on s**t.

So if you got some loose cannons running around putting Commit in deisel tanks don't be shocked,I was not suggesting human harm. Simply inconviencing the flow of their profits,by driving there expenses up.
A spike will ruin a 20,000 dollar saw blade not take a life.Loosening a bolt on a drive shaft would put a rig out for a week not kill a driver.

Those drivers kill them selves do you see how fast they go on a road with no speed limit, and no other traffic. All for greed to make more money.
It is the mentality that plauges our very existance.
Look at heli logging dangerous as hell.Look at skidder operators ,working on an incline. The mess they leave behind ,old hauling cables just rusting away on the mountain side. Clearcut is ugly nothing grows after .Selective logging is a joke and a word that is made up to ,not disturb the sheep.

"Looks like a Canoe with the seats kicked out of it !"

Jan. 12, 2011, 7:39 p.m.

Dont worry with all this Global warming the pine beetle is on its way,to destroy all our beloved forest. There is signs of it in the sea to sky corridor.
Clear cut is every were were people do not see, i spent 15 years on a commercial fish boat and seen destruction all up Johnston strait and Queen Charlotte Islands.(i remember someone cut down the golden tree a sacrid Native symbol)
You can still go to jail just for protesting.Most of our lumber is exported it is the fourth biggest industry in B.C.under Tourism,Selling Hydro power to the U.S.and Grow op's.
Construction industry here uses steel stud instead of wood framing ,cause it is cheaper.
So pardon me if i get pissed off about raping the natural resources for $. I was "just say'in" it was here say . I find anything to do with politics ,and trail preservation groups to be at a stalemate.

I look at all the trails proposed ,and already destroyed by housing developments.Examples are Burke mnt,[HTML_REMOVED] Eagle ridge.I'm sure Highlands at Ledge veiw .
The list goes on,Big corps like, Interfor do not care about a small user group that uses the forest as a recreation.
With the U.S. dollar at parity with our loonie ,you don't think foreign investment will not jump all over our resources like flys on s**t.

So if you got some loose cannons running around putting Commit in deisel tanks don't be shocked,I was not suggesting human harm. Simply inconviencing the flow of their profits,by driving there expenses up.
A spike will ruin a 20,000 dollar saw blade not take a life.Loosening a bolt on a drive shaft would put a rig out for a week not kill a driver.

Those drivers kill them selves do you see how fast they go on a road with no speed limit, and no other traffic. All for greed to make more money.
It is the mentality that plauges our very existance.
Look at heli logging dangerous as hell.Look at skidder operators ,working on an incline. The mess they leave behind ,old hauling cables just rusting away on the mountain side. Clearcut is ugly nothing grows after .Selective logging is a joke and a word that is made up to ,not disturb the sheep.

wow…
I could try to point out all the errors in your post, but I don't have that much time tonite.

You have no clue.

Jan. 12, 2011, 8:15 p.m.

Clear cut is every were were people do not see, i spent 15 years on a commer…..

oh man you are a fucking idiot

you're off base on every single point you made.

if you really care about the state of BC forests, just shut up. you aren't doing yourself or your cause any favours.