Accident in Seymour?

Nov. 24, 2008, 10:18 a.m.

Ride at yer own risk.

I agree, but maybe there is more to this right now.

With the winter conditions, stunts and woodwork is slippery right now. Maybe checking stunts like this one, before rolling straight onto it is a good precaution. What you have to remember, we are responsible for riding within our own limits, so we each need to use our best judgement, especially when conditions aren't perfect.

Nov. 24, 2008, 10:26 a.m.

I've heard of a few injuries on that one. Isn't that where Lee blew up his shoulder a few years back?

I blew out my shoulder at SunPeaks. I don't recall that stunt on Pangor being notorious for claiming people

Nov. 24, 2008, 10:27 a.m.

Is there anywhere that you can check the biking accidents in the North Shore? I see the response teams in Seymour almost every weekend.

Nov. 24, 2008, 10:30 a.m.

I agree, but maybe there is more to this right now.

With the winter conditions, stunts and woodwork is slippery right now. Maybe checking stunts like this one, before rolling straight onto it is a good precaution. What you have to remember, we are responsible for riding within our own limits, so we each need to use our best judgement, especially when conditions aren't perfect.

Exactly!

Incidents always go up at this time of year.

Its colder so people aren't warmed up as fast, it's slicker and conditions are definitely more challenging.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Nov. 24, 2008, 10:56 a.m.

It is definately more dangerous right now than when its warm and dry. But it isn't certain 'stunts', it could be anything.

Shiny, diaginal roots being the worst offender.

Nov. 24, 2008, 10:58 a.m.

I blew out my shoulder at SunPeaks. I don't recall that stunt on Pangor being notorious for claiming people

my mistake, I must have been thinking of someone else.

I have heard of a few diggers off of that one, but at no fault to the feature itself.

Nov. 24, 2008, 11:13 a.m.

Is there any follow-up by NSMBA, or trail authority/land manager after an accident on a trail stunt? When I read that a stunt has taken a number of people out, maybe something should be done!?!

Isn't this guy's point still valid?

Does it make sense to track on which features accidents happen, and if there is an excess of injuries on a particular feature, or perhaps a spike in the number on injuries, then perhaps the feature needs to be examined.

In the case of a spike, then perhaps it might be found that something about the feature has deteriorated.

I don't think he's referring to just this particular stunt - I think it's a general question about tracking injuries.

Frankly, I'm kind of surprised that injury tracking isn't pressed upon the various riding groups that oversee the trails more. I do know that we (FVMBA) are supposed to track # of injuries overall, but that proved impossible and seems to have gone away …. for now.

Yeah.. yeah.. ride at your own risk an all, but what if it turned out that one particular stunt injured a person every day? Should we then consider signage/repair/alteration? Or, maybe just a better access route for the emergency teams.

Nov. 24, 2008, 11:21 a.m.

anyone remember this one before the ladder? NSSAR was hiking in here on a regular basis.

yes, it's monitored. Just not discussed online.

Nov. 24, 2008, 11:47 a.m.

Yah, that's the one where I came off, landed on my head and compressed my L1.

Kn.

Yikes!

I thought it was bad when I nearly removed my testicles on that a few years back. The drop isn't bad and with a nice landing now it should be even better. It was totally my fault, not enough speed, borrowed bike, etc. I've also seen that drop be made to look dead easy, I think it can just be slightly awkward for some people (like me) who might not carry speed well, or alternately don't have great balance.

22 Pride

Nov. 24, 2008, 11:47 a.m.

I think this is the one you're talking about

I was actually just thinking about that one. after it was rebuilt it had a moderate left turn onto the plank at the top/end that would likely require a hop. who remembers?

me:"someone is going to lose a wheel on that"

others: "that corner is fine!"

the inside of the turn was patched, but it is still relatively tight imo…

EDIT: mind you I haven't ridden seymour in over a year! how does it look now?

Disclaimer: the above text is in no way or form intended to harm you. if by any chance you are offended by it, please take a moment to Harden the F*** Up. thank you.

"Trust that little voice in your head that says, 'wouldn't it be interesting if…'; and then do it."
-Duane Michals

FOR SALE: NEW Small/med KBC Moto/ATV/MTB Helmets - $70!!!
WANTED: Argon cylinder! 55-125cf
also WANTED: SRAM Rear Derailleur. AND 2.35" 60a hard rubber MTB tire.

Nov. 24, 2008, 11:55 a.m.

Is there any follow-up by NSMBA, or trail authority/land manager after an accident on a trail stunt? When I read that a stunt has taken a number of people out, maybe something should be done!?!

The problem with that is Seymour is a shuttle hill and everyone has access to everything on the mountain. A new rider on a big bike at the top of a shuttle hill is a dangerous thing, and not something that can be easily, or fairly fixed.
It would be hard to protect people from themselves without being unfair to other users.

Nov. 24, 2008, 11:57 a.m.

EDIT: mind you I haven't ridden seymour in over a year! how does it look now?

It's not a bad drop. There's an ugly rock started to poke out in the middle of the landing, and it's questionable if the drop should be on that trail since it's one of the 'easier' trails, but like I just said, how do you protect people from themselves.

Nov. 24, 2008, 12:01 p.m.

Is there anywhere that you can check the biking accidents in the North Shore? I see the response teams in Seymour almost every weekend.

Why would you want to do that, it seems kind of morbid to me, like reading the obituaries.

Besides, do we really want stats like that out there, it just gives more adverse amo for the haters.

Nov. 24, 2008, 12:06 p.m.

Ride At Your Own Godamn Risk

Heal up injured dude or dudette

Nov. 24, 2008, 12:08 p.m.

Yikes!

I thought it was bad when I nearly removed my testicles on that a few years back. The drop isn't bad and with a nice landing now it should be even better. It was totally my fault, not enough speed, borrowed bike, etc. I've also seen that drop be made to look dead easy, I think it can just be slightly awkward for some people (like me) who might not carry speed well, or alternately don't have great balance.

The drop is easy, IMO. My crash was my own fault and not a problem with the drop. It started with riding a borrowed bike with the brakes adjusted improperly for my reach. With the levers too far out, I was dragging brake whenever I pulled up on the bars - ie., just the miniscule contraction of the fingers that comes along with flexing the arms caused a touch on the brakes.

When I hit the drop, I pulled up and locked brakes w/front wheel in the air and rear still on the boards. Bike pitches forward stupid fast and KenN lands like a sack o potatoes. The price of being lazy about adjusting equipment.

Spinal cord injury is about the most pain a human can experience because it transmits pain receptors from every nerve in the spinal bundle!!!

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.