A new breed : freetards

Aug. 22, 2006, 11:45 a.m.

Yeh Wayne, sometimes you just gotta shut the buttheads up. Good on you for that.

Got to admit though, I've been riding over 10 yrs now, SFU, Squamish, Shore and Whistler, and I can't remember any one bad experience I've had personally while riding, seems everyone I come across is cool, and i'm not the quickest rider. Although I've heard about lots of these superheroes out there so i guess I'm lucky.

Aug. 22, 2006, 11:50 a.m.

Have a conversation with people who work on the trails. Most will have stories of dickheads on wheels.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Aug. 22, 2006, 11:55 a.m.

^^Ok I'll bite, what would you consider a Yuppie on CBC?

Young Urban Macho Male Into Extreme Sports (YUMMIES)

Aug. 22, 2006, 12:05 p.m.

I saw the couple at the bottom and told them what I did, and they thanked me.

well done! deflating their big heads probably has the best long term effect.

Aug. 22, 2006, 12:09 p.m.

Young Urban Macho Male Into Extreme Sports (YUMMIES)

Ha Ha Yummies! Complete with the tattoo around the the bicep.

Aug. 22, 2006, 12:10 p.m.

I have a solution. Everyone ride at a sort of average speed. :)

thats not how you win

// What's Good // F U N E R A L // Ultramontane // DEEP SIX //

Aug. 22, 2006, 1:06 p.m.

thats not how you win

Seems to be how people drive here too though
:)

Aug. 22, 2006, 1:21 p.m.

Seems to be how people drive here too though
:)

but driving around here is not fun…

Aug. 22, 2006, 1:33 p.m.

@Wayne Parsons

That is great! We were all slow(er) at one time and it does no good for the sleevless a-line "freetards" to be hard timing the newer riders. It is great that this guy got a taste of his own medicine!

I wonder how he felt to not be the fastest guy on a-line? I hope on his next run he had a better attitue towards the slower riders.

06 - Giant Faith2 - New pedals - the ones they put on stock must have been a joke.. i did not laugh

Www.shorerider.com

Aug. 22, 2006, 2:46 p.m.

I hope on his next run he had a better attitue towards the slower riders.

Probably not. But if he had some of his homies with him, the embarassement would have been much better.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Aug. 22, 2006, 3:01 p.m.

I've been riding the shore since around 1983. One was lucky to see some one back then. I've only had a few run ins. Dough heads jumping the road at the bottom of UOC between me and wife and over the dog. While their buddies were watching and not spotting at all.

One bung hole with too much attitude wouldn't tell me the name of the trail he was riding down. "Hey buddy is that Lower Ladies?" I say. "Why don't you ride it and see." he snarls. Whatever.

My favourite of the guys ripping down Old Buck. Saaayyyy that's challenging as they skid up before the speed control gates. Full Face and half a brain.

By and large people out there are cool though. I do avoid certain trails though which might be crowded.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Aug. 22, 2006, 3:29 p.m.

Why would anyone ride down Old Buck??

I learned the hard way to towel off my bike before the dog. I'd rather have a slightly oily dog than a hairy bike.

Beautiful west coast, ocean inspired pottery.

Aug. 22, 2006, 3:44 p.m.

i think you should just carry some tissues with you while you ride
so when you get passed you can just open up your bag and wipe your tears away

I'm fat.

Aug. 22, 2006, 5:05 p.m.

i think you should just carry some tissues with you while you ride
so when you get passed you can just open up your bag and wipe your tears away

i'm guessing the pinkbike forums are down for maintenance again?

Aug. 22, 2006, 5:33 p.m.

I don't have the stomach to read through this entire thread. I think the gist of it is that mountain bikers are dicks and enjoy being dicks to one another.

The original point of this thread is valid. There's no need to be a dick and yell at people when you pass then. On the flip side, when getting passed, make some kind of effort to get out of the way. However, this is all situational. For example, on CBC, there's really no need to go blowing by somebody. Slow down, let them know that you're there and hopefully something works out in the passing department.

But I've been known to throw down a hearty "Get the fuck out of the way" on occassion. Examples - Let's say you're rolling down lower Bogeyman and there's people walking all over it with their bikes laying on the trail. Get the fuck out of the way. Have some common sense.

And A-Line. No offense, if you're a beginner rider and you're riding an "expert" trail up in Whistler that requires a certain degree of speed to clear everything, be prepared to pay attention to who is behind you and be really prepared to move over. But once again, there's no need to be a dick to somebody just because they're slow.

Anyhow, if you avoid the birthplace of the freetard (Mt. Seymour) I find you can avoid most of them. But with the annual summer migration up to Whistler, it's a lot tougher.