A member lost to cancer: Eugene Bahia "Khoolhandz"

June 21, 2011, 8:18 a.m.

My best memory of Euge was shuttling Vedder with him, bashing his H3 up the hill, and he checks his watch and says something to the effect of "I should go, but let's load up I'll drive you guys up one more time."

Pretty much sums him up.

Check my stuff for sale!

June 21, 2011, 8:20 a.m.

my condolences to his family and friends.

"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture"

June 21, 2011, 8:20 a.m.

Sad news, people if they have any riding pics etc could setup a bit of a time capsule for his son.

Images etc that show him as a shredder. A couple pieces of old gear, maybe a smashed derailleur…?

Cancer has many faces, but so does being a rider.

Inspire his kid to pick up where he left off.

C4 Rider Training 2013

Contact me at: [email protected]

I am not so good at returning PM's as some have noticed.

c4race.com

June 21, 2011, 8:22 a.m.

That's a brilliant idea.
If someone can co-ordinate this and put Eugene's bike and gear up for sale, that'd free up a little bit of cash for his family.

a raffle that was spiced up w donated stuff and the bike would gather more $ I bet.

C4 Rider Training 2013

Contact me at: [email protected]

I am not so good at returning PM's as some have noticed.

c4race.com

June 21, 2011, 8:27 a.m.

That's a brilliant idea.
If someone can co-ordinate this and put Eugene's bike and gear up for sale, that'd free up a little bit of cash for his family.

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/863430/

As bad as cancer is, its ability to rally the community and bring everyone together is an amazingly positive side effect.

June 21, 2011, 9:25 a.m.

I only know him from his posts on the interweb back in the day, condolences to those that knew him.

June 21, 2011, 9:40 a.m.

Sad news, people if they have any riding pics etc could setup a bit of a time capsule for his son.

Images etc that show him as a shredder. A couple pieces of old gear, maybe a smashed derailleur…?

Cancer has many faces, but so does being a rider.

Inspire his kid to pick up where he left off.

First of Condolences to the family, there are not really words we can say.

Your idea is a cool one, that's really just a great idea. Bucket of win.

Is this a footnote?

June 21, 2011, 9:50 a.m.

Practiced with him back in the day at various races. Awesome guy, and I'm not just saying that, he truly was. So sad that he's left a couple of kids without a dad. That makes me want to cry.

June 21, 2011, 10:26 a.m.

a raffle that was spiced up w donated stuff and the bike would gather more $ I bet.

This is a great idea, i will speak to a couple of shop owners to see if we could put together a prize package with his bike, to make sure it sells quickly and hopefully for top dollar.

June 21, 2011, 11:35 a.m.

i too knew him from back in the dh racing days; great guy. looking at his twitter feed / blog / last video update - amazing the positivity he retained in spite of what he was going through. a terrible loss - especially for his kids, but an inspirational display of courage and dignity.

June 21, 2011, 11:52 a.m.

Sad to see this happen.
My condolences to his family.

June 21, 2011, 3:36 p.m.

I have know Eugene as a riding buddy since the bike park at Whistler first got going. Our hanging out time was always limited to ripping a few laps together in the park, talking about bike gear at the bottom of the lift or riding a shuttle on the local mountains.

Eugene always had a smile on his face and was one of the most positive minded people I've ever met. I knew that on any given weekend I'd run into him at the park, and it seemed every time I saw him he had new gear that I was always insanely jealous of. He seemed to consistently have the Ferrari of downhill bikes, and was always so humble about it, and equally as interested in what was new with you too.

I learned of his initial battle with cancer on the chairlift, and was so amazed by how hard he fought to beat it. In more recent years, I have done a lot less riding at Whistler and have not seen him as much. I was saddened to learn of his more recent battle that started this year, and began following his blogs on Twitter.

His battle was and remains inspiring. His passion for the Ride to Conquer Cancer was strong. When I read that his condition had progressed such that he had to pull out, I was inspired by how positive he remained about it, and comforted by the list of friends he had riding for him. It's fitting to see such a good guy surrounded by such great friends.

It was only a few days ago that I watched his last video message (done in June 8th) with my wife, and I couldn't help but tear up, however my sadness was replaced by pride in watching an old friend stare his illness in the face so bravely and remain so positive, surrounded by his beautiful family.

I will be forever inspired by his smile, his positive attitude and his courageous battle with a terrible illness. I wish his family and closer friends my very best.

The mountain bike community has lost one of our best. My next ride will be for my friend, Eugene "Khoolhandz" Bahia.

June 21, 2011, 3:39 p.m.

I didn't ever have the fortune of meeting him but it sounds like he was a great guy. Positive love mojos' sent to his family. I have kids and it always brings extra tears to my eyes and an even larger lump to my throat when it's another daddy.

Wrong. Always.

June 22, 2011, 11:18 a.m.

Rest in peace bro.

I'm a gearbox-bike nut.

June 22, 2011, 6:57 p.m.

First - huge condolences to the family - a tragic loss.

"Huge-ene" will be missed. Anyone that ever rode with him will know why. He had inspired many through his courage to fight a strong fight over the past years.

I remember when he first told me of the lump in his leg - man what a battle had begun. He didn't ask for the fight - but fought it harder than anyone could.

I had the pleasure of knowing Eugene for over ten years and rode many times with him and cannot remember him without a smile from ear to ear when on one of his crazy exotic downhill builds.

My best quote from Eugene was during a post ride beer in Squamish when we were discussing strange foods and he came out with "Man, I'm a Phillipino - we eat anything with 4 legs but a table, anything that flies but a plane and anything that crawls except babies."

A proud person, confident rider, dedicated father and husband,

Miss you already bro and you will continue to ride with me in my heart forever.

Before one can become old and wise he must first be young and stupid.