A great day for a hike...

Feb. 7, 2015, 9:40 p.m.

With all this rain falling, I decided today would be a perfect day to take our 1yr old lab out to Fromme to get her acquainted with the trails before we start riding together. Started at Dempsey and hiked up to Expresso. Dempsey had some rivers running down it for sure but was in good shape otherwise. Got up to Expresso and ran into some riders finishing up and even with this weather, they were all smiles. Kola (the dog) immediately took to the trail as we hiked up and love end running hard around the corners. I can see why many hikers would enjoy this trail with their dogs.
Only ran into one other group on the trail and they were happy to wait until we reached them before they continued down. Like every other person I ride with, the riders treated us (the hikers) with lots of respect and had no problem waiting in the rain (even after I let them, know they were good to continue). Maybe it the super-psyched dog who had the "stupid happy" look on her face…
After reaching the top, I decided that pipeline would be our descent trail. Didn't take me long to realize that this trail is a dog's wet dream! She ran every freaking bridge, drop and even launched off the pipeline roller with reckless abandon! I cant wait to ride with this dog!
FYI - Pipeline is a river at the top and has some very spongy sections where it flattens out and then back rivers at the bottom.
Overall, I'm very psyched to begin riding with our dog! While I didn't run into too many people, those I did were super nice and happy to let the hikers continue…which is the same tact I take when I see hikers.
The North Shore is awesome and I look forward to many more years of riding and hiking the trails while enjoying the company of all other users!!

Feb. 8, 2015, midnight

:agree:

Funnily enough I did the same sort of thing today but from a different angle. After hearing that Fromme is overcrowded and a war zone (it's in the media so must be true), I set about doing a 2hr hike with ma dawg on a Saturday with the aim of not seeing anyone else. After donning full combat gear, I dragged my 3 year old semi-puppy out of the truck (I parked on Coleman and didn't have any issues OMG!) and despite her trembling with fear we finally made it into the trails with no obstructions or fatalities. We hiked through the pristine wilderness marveling at the abundance of wildlife once far way from the MTB trails (I think Ashka saw a squirrel) and finally hit Highway 1, or otherwise known as Baden Powell. Unfortunately after a few minutes along the BP my mission ended in defeat. I saw a human! And a dog! Incredibly we managed to pass without bloodshed though. We then hiked down Skull, which was both clear and no thrillcraft in sight. Finally, with phasers set to kill we made our way through the battlezone and back to the truck.

So, 2 hours and one human. Not a bad result. So if you are a miserable twat, I have proved there are trails for you too :D

treezz
wow you are a ass

Feb. 8, 2015, 7:40 a.m.

common theme!

I also spent three hours getting some major water flow routed off AMPM

Feb. 9, 2015, 8:06 a.m.

Headed up yesterday. I've never seen so many hikers out there. Perhaps with all this news coverage they want to take back their mountain? All were in great spirits though and no harm came to either parties.

Feb. 10, 2015, 1:15 p.m.

Damn the forest is looking lush, I'm about ready for this shitty snow to melt off now and find myself a new bike over here too!

This thread should become a regular update

Feb. 10, 2015, 2:25 p.m.

Not too much snow to deal with on the shore this year. Been riding all "winter"…

Edit - these are pics from our weekend hikes…

Feb. 10, 2015, 4:29 p.m.

Good lord do I want a trail dog…

Feb. 10, 2015, 5:33 p.m.

Hiking and biking with a dog is the best…especially cuz I ride alone most days…..

You really need to teach the dog to read though