A great Birthday Present

Jan. 14, 2013, 9:04 a.m.

I'm late to the party, but happy birthday anyway! Nice to hear you are back on the bike!

Jan. 27, 2013, 8:24 p.m.

First off, happy birthday…cheers.

BTW, I learned the lesson YEARS ago; never take the last run after someone calls it! To this day when someone calls last run, I go sit down and drink a beer instead.

Years back in that same bike park, i learned the importance of a warmup run. That particilar time i didnt and broke two vertibrae, a clavicle and a rib. Im older and wiser now.

Jan. 28, 2013, 8:07 a.m.

Years back in that same bike park, i learned the importance of a warmup run. That particilar time i didnt and broke two vertibrae, a clavicle and a rib. Im older and wiser now.

You know that having growen up with stories from this very board turned me into a guy taking it easy the first couple runs in any bike park - enough time to shred if my body and psyche feel like it. If not, I go home with the knowledge that even shredding berms and trying to make use of correct body english has been enough to work on. That jump/gap/drop is still there in a couple of months/years…

Sometimes I wish I were not that big a pussy tho.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Jan. 28, 2013, 9:33 a.m.

Happy birthday man, and i feel ya on getting back on after a big crash…. i spent the better part of the summer and fall of 02 out of riding due to a snapped arm from a crash… What sort of hardware did you get? I ended up with 9 screws and a plate (and 43 staples) that was not a fun trip….LOL hospital food SUCKS!!!!!!!!!

Jan. 28, 2013, 9:34 a.m.

You know that having growen up with stories from this very board turned me into a guy taking it easy the first couple runs in any bike park - enough time to shred if my body and psyche feel like it. If not, I go home with the knowledge that even shredding berms and trying to make use of correct body english has been enough to work on. That jump/gap/drop is still there in a couple of months/years…

Im the same way… I simply dont go big….. I dont want to spend another week in hospital from stupidity….LOL one week outof my life is more than enough thanks….

Jan. 28, 2013, 9:40 a.m.

Recovering from serious injuries is a life changing thing, imo. Glad to hear you've got the good perspective on lock down! Happy birthday!

Jan. 28, 2013, 10:32 a.m.

Exactly. Warmups are key. I do this with snowboarding, but sometimes its not an option like shuttling the shore haha. No time for warm-up, just straight into the deep.

I have always battled my ego, and it can get me in trouble. If your not feeling the gap, drop or high consequence whatever, don't do it. Take pride in that wisdom.

Every time i have had a serious crash was when i was in a type of 'zone' and riding as hard and fast as i possibly could, beyond my limits. No fear, holding my breath, and usually competing against friends to be faster or jump higher. This is not my natural makeup and usually i ride at 75%. Last summer it happened to me again and i got stitches in my face. I now try to challenge myself, not others, and keep it smooth. But those are just my own personal demons.

But yeah like you said, focus on your body language etc.. I have way more awareness of my style than when i was younger. I had more balls then, but i am a better rider now by being conscience of what my body is doing. Same goes for snowboarding. Also fitness is the key for me now, and stretching is not an option haha.

Cheers

Feb. 1, 2013, 9:29 a.m.

What sort of hardware did you get?

I am now the proud owner of a lime green titanium rod the length of my femur and three spikes to hold it in. One at the top and two in the knee.

Beow Beow….. be be boew boew. boh boh. beow beow…… repeat:rave: