a good read....

Oct. 29, 2014, 1:06 p.m.

So you're saying that there are a lot of riders, newer or otherwise riding Floppy Bunny and Bobsled super hard. And so agree with my question? Or something else? Clarification please.

What?
Ridership huge + no maintenance = bye bye trails. Do people actually think that just because they are sanctioned that it means that they can't be taken away? Just because I have my permits on Floppy and Bobsled doesn't mean that's all I work on. But thanks for referring to those trails. And by the way DNV is concluding a study on Fromme. They are measuring everything from soil degradation to harmony of the trail ect….

Oct. 29, 2014, 1:11 p.m.

And Craw since I've been clear, can I ask what trails you work on?

Oct. 29, 2014, 1:13 p.m.

do you guys really only ride one type of trail, all the time? I tend to ride all kinds of different types of trails, every ride, I even have a lot of fun….shocking!

Oct. 29, 2014, 1:38 p.m.

And Craw since I've been clear, can I ask what trails you work on?

Sadly, not that many. I hope you didn't take my comments as attacks or challenges.
I'm just curious to better understand your position in the context of the article.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Oct. 29, 2014, 1:50 p.m.

Sadly, not that many. I hope you didn't take my comments as attacks or challenges.
I'm just curious to better understand your position in the context of the article.

I've been on the defensive since I started trail building because I think no one should slag any kind of trail work. Why is mountain biking unique? Because you get back what you put in. I stay away from negative stuff on here infact if the doctor knew I was on here he would probably smack me in the face but it's very hard for me to sit back and read the Expresso/Bookwus comment, it sparks me into a frenzy which I should not be in. I actually shared this article on Facebook and agreed with his stance. We want variety. There is a reason I drive to Squamish/whistler/Pemberton to ride we have it all under our nose. Take a breath it feels good doesn't it?

Oct. 29, 2014, 2:09 p.m.

I've been on the defensive since I started trail building because I think no one should slag any kind of trail work. Why is mountain biking unique? Because you get back what you put in. I stay away from negative stuff on here infact if the doctor knew I was on here he would probably smack me in the face but it's very hard for me to sit back and read the Expresso/Bookwus comment, it sparks me into a frenzy which I should not be in. I actually shared this article on Facebook and agreed with his stance. We want variety. There is a reason I drive to Squamish/whistler/Pemberton to ride we have it all under our nose. Take a breath it feels good doesn't it?

I'm not really sure what you mean. I can prefer Bookwus to Espresso if I want. But I ride both frequently and enjoy them for different reasons. I try to ride as many different types of trails as I can. Even those with skinnies. That doesn't mean I think one type of trail is better than the other, or that I value the trailbuilding efforts for one more than the other.

I've been breathing the whole time.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Oct. 29, 2014, 5:27 p.m.

Is it fair to say that said homogenization is due to factors like accommodating the huge influx of new-intermediate riders and the perceived tourist revenue which drives municipal investment towards trails that satisfy the many versus the few?

i'd agree that larger ridership is part of what's contributed to the homogenization pointed out in the article, but not for the reason you brought up. that pressure is coming from the land managers and the desire to see "sustainable" trails.

i am on the same page of having viable options for beginner/intermediate riders, i just question how that agenda is best achieved.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Oct. 29, 2014, 5:34 p.m.

No wonder I don't visit these boards anymore….

I caught the guy throwing logs on the Skid Rd reroute this morning.

You guys are all looking to buy an argument [HTML_REMOVED] need to realize there is a whole different enemy out there.

oh please tell this story!

Oct. 29, 2014, 5:35 p.m.

The only problem is that doing nothing and lettings our trails fall apart wasn't working. Do I have to list trails? We have lost trails already on Fromme because no one stepped up. I for one have stepped up. If only everyone could work together instead of complaining trails are getting too easy we would be in a good spot.

Anyone who really knows me knows that I love all trails. I like skinnies, I like tech, I like flow. Yes I said it I like flow, opening a bike up and going fast is fun. I don't need to pretend I'm super hardcore to impress anyone. Open your mind and maybe you will be pleasantly surprised.

sure you can list trails you feel are falling apart if you want.

as for getting more people involved there are probably more people directly involved in trail work now than ever before which is awesome, but there are also far more people out riding. so even though there are more numbers involved, i wonder if the percentage of riders involved is better or worse.

trails are getting easier though - sometimes an entire trail and sometimes just sections. i'd rather see people voice their concerns or complain about that than say nothing and have many more things get easier. i'd just like to see the brush of sustainability applied a little more judiciously at times.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Oct. 29, 2014, 8:03 p.m.

oh please tell this story!

This.

Oct. 30, 2014, 4:13 p.m.

You guys are all looking to buy an argument [HTML_REMOVED] need to realize there is a whole different enemy out there.

Any trail work is greatly appreciated. All trail work will be criticized by some one.
Even an individual who does not ride.
I am curious if you talked to the man. Did you explain why we have climbing trails?
Did he seem crazy or rational? Did you inform him that he could harm people with his actions?
BTW the climbing trails are wonderful! Thanks to all who helped build them.

common sense…..Whats common about sense?!

Nov. 2, 2014, 7:55 a.m.

Interesting choice of words.

So when you saw this guy did you confront him as an enemy or try to talk to him to understand why he was doing this and come to an understanding?

No wonder you guys are having so many problems if this is how you address a situation.

Nov. 5, 2014, 11:27 a.m.

i call BS

he's probably just trying to stir the pot as usual