a good read....

Oct. 28, 2014, 10:28 p.m.

People have souls not trails. It's these same people that are the ones putting the time into fixing them. When you are the one fixing them then you can have a say how they are fixed/maintained. I've got dirt to be moved and wood to be carried, I always have a open invitation.

I don't generally post at all anymore because it's been the same topic on rewind. We all want different trails. On the Shore we have that, end of discussion…..

who made you king of the internets so you could decide what gets discussed? if you don't like it then don't participate, pretty simple.

and while i agree with you that an individual trail may not have soul, a riding area can and does have a soul. moab has a certain soul. colorado has a certain soul. the shore definitely has a certain soul.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Oct. 28, 2014, 10:28 p.m.

Who built Bookwus and New Expresso? Not you…..

Who cares what you ride, that is up to you. If everyone put as much effort into building as talking about maintaining then maybe "we" would still have these trails to ride. Until then enjoy what you have because trails don't work on themselves.

Easy there Pat, didnt you know that dickheads who dont give back to the sport have a really big say and should be listened to!!

Mistified that this bullshit is being talked about again. Wanna ride skinnies, go fucken build em, steeps…oh heres an idea, go fucken build it or ride it cos theres heaps around. Or maybe shut the fuck up and be grateful.

Wanna know why I spend a shit load of time building every year??? So I can ride the trails I like!! Fancy fucken that!

As for the article…pfff sounds like another dick with a keyboard who doesnt trail build.

Oh yeah Im six beers in.

diggin

Oct. 28, 2014, 10:35 p.m.

Easy there Pat, didnt you know that dickheads who dont give back to the sport have a really big say and should be listened to!!

Mistified that this bullshit is being talked about again. Wanna ride skinnies, go fucken build em, steeps…oh heres an idea, go fucken build it or ride it cos theres heaps around. Or maybe shut the fuck up and be grateful.

Wanna know why I spend a shit load of time building every year??? So I can ride the trails I like!! Fancy fucken that!

As for the article…pfff sounds like another dick with a keyboard who doesnt trail build.

Oh yeah Im six beers in.

this wasn't supposed to be about skinnies per say, but some people get what the article was about. it's about variety and not seeing all the new work being done the same way or that big word that the author used; homogenization.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Oct. 28, 2014, 11:33 p.m.

who made you king of the internets so you could decide what gets discussed? if you don't like it then don't participate, pretty simple.

and while i agree with you that an individual trail may not have soul, a riding area can and does have a soul. moab has a certain soul. colorado has a certain soul. the shore definitely has a certain soul.

You are the Prince of negativity and I'm the King of the internet. At least you got something right.

It's the Soul you put into a trail that reflects it's nature and feel. But thanks Prince!

Oct. 29, 2014, 7:13 a.m.

You are the Prince of negativity and I'm the King of the internet. At least you got something right.

It's the Soul you put into a trail that reflects it's nature and feel. But thanks for coming out prince.

ahh, so you do agree with me that a riding area has soul. cool.

Ellen Langer

Oct. 29, 2014, 8:34 a.m.

boy, you guys are sensitive…

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

Oct. 29, 2014, 8:45 a.m.

boy, you guys are sensitive…

Passionate is what I call it.

Oct. 29, 2014, 8:49 a.m.

How about the soul of the sport as mentioned in the beginning? We all ride for different reasons. We all have a favorite flavor of trail.
Variety is what keeps me interested and challenging my self.
The beauty is that I can cross paths with another rider. Some one I have never met before. We will both be smiling and sharing stories/ideas about a sport with plenty of soul.
Riding lifts your spirits. Puts you into a positive frame of mind.
The dirt, the sweat ,the challenge,the fear its all part of the sport.
Watching a friend clean a section, giving him the high five! Its a rush!
Sometimes I ride to inhale fresh air and enjoy the flora and fauna. Sometimes I ride to be with friends, any trail will do. Sometimes I ride to Challenge my self. For me this involves steep rooty rocky trails with wood work.
All types of trails feed the soul of the sport.
Variety is the spice of life.

common sense…..Whats common about sense?!

Oct. 29, 2014, 9:11 a.m.

When you are the one fixing them then you can have a say how they are fixed/maintained.

This ideology doesn't always fit every argument.

Sometimes a trail needs no work whatsoever (from my perspective), yet someone else can come along and 'fix' it right up and claim that since I wasn't there to help, I don't get a say. Sorry, but that perspective is pretty self serving.

Your argument fits nicely as far as new trails are concerned. Well, as long as there's equal opportunity for someone to build the kind of trail they want, should they be willing to put the effort in. Experience shows that this is no longer the case, in which case I feel the need to defend existing trails of that nature.

Oct. 29, 2014, 9:14 a.m.

Passionate is what I call it.

totally agree with you on this.

at the end of the day I think it's better to have some people that are passionate and disagree with each other than a lot of people that don't care.

Ellen Langer

Oct. 29, 2014, 9:31 a.m.

totally agree with you on this.

at the end of the day I think it's better to have some people that are passionate and disagree with each other than a lot of people that don't care.

The only problem is that doing nothing and lettings our trails fall apart wasn't working. Do I have to list trails? We have lost trails already on Fromme because no one stepped up. I for one have stepped up. If only everyone could work together instead of complaining trails are getting too easy we would be in a good spot.

Anyone who really knows me knows that I love all trails. I like skinnies, I like tech, I like flow. Yes I said it I like flow, opening a bike up and going fast is fun. I don't need to pretend I'm super hardcore to impress anyone. Open your mind and maybe you will be pleasantly surprised.

Oct. 29, 2014, 10:27 a.m.

Syncro mentioned a phrase a page back that needs repeating: "Cohesive System".

A system is inclusive of both types of trails.

Last night at the ULWG BPP VP Geoff Croll indicated that they want to have the best mountain bike "trail system" on Cypress (more on this in another later post).

As noted by IMBA: “If only beginner and intermediate trails are provided, expert riders may become bored and create their own trails ” (International Mountain Bicycling Association, 2007, p. 228 ).

The MTB Cypress survey shows many riders that ride Cypress ride the other North Shore mountains- over 80% showing that a variety is important to them.

So any Plan anywhere should address a cohesive system. That is how Cypress will be built out. I can pretty much see the writing on the wall for the future.

A cohesive system requires inclusivity and variety to work.

Talk less, Say More.

Oct. 29, 2014, 10:49 a.m.

this wasn't supposed to be about skinnies per say, but some people get what the article was about. it's about variety and not seeing all the new work being done the same way or that big word that the author used; homogenization.

Is it fair to say that said homogenization is due to factors like accommodating the huge influx of new-intermediate riders and the perceived tourist revenue which drives municipal investment towards trails that satisfy the many versus the few?

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Oct. 29, 2014, 11:34 a.m.

Is it fair to say that said homogenization is due to factors like accommodating the huge influx of new-intermediate riders and the perceived tourist revenue which drives municipal investment towards trails that satisfy the many versus the few?

Go up Fromme on any nice weekend, being a lawn chair, I'll bring the barbecue and beers and be prepared to see 1000 riders riding up. Not a joke number I've counted working at the Bottom of Floppy. I run the Sorca trail crew I see what is happening there. People have to remember I've spent basically everyday in the forest for a good 5 years. Paid or unpaid building.

I'm not trying to convince anyone what to ride. I merely would like to try to educate. But unfortunately if you are closed minded you only hear what you want to hear, you can't teach anyone who doesn't want to learn.

Oct. 29, 2014, 11:43 a.m.

Go up Fromme on any nice weekend, being a lawn chair, I'll bring the barbecue and beers and be prepared to see 1000 riders riding up. Not a joke number I've counted working at the Bottom of Floppy. I run the Sorca trail crew I see what is happening there. People have to remember I've spent basically everyday in the forest for a good 5 years. Paid or unpaid building.

I'm not trying to convince anyone what to ride. I merely would like to try to educate. But unfortunately if you are closed minded you only hear what you want to hear, you can't teach anyone who doesn't want to learn.

So you're saying that there are a lot of riders, newer or otherwise riding Floppy Bunny and Bobsled super hard. And so agree with my question? Or something else? Clarification please.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.