A foot question to all riders

Nov. 1, 2006, 11:34 p.m.

Are you jellin?

Nov. 1, 2006, 11:37 p.m.

Haven't read the replies so sorry if Im being repetitive but this is something I have studies on myself and here is what I found:

1 - it must be related to a lack of warm-up, because the only time I will get it is if I start my ride day on CBC or something - where Im riding the trail non-stop without any warming up or stopping or dabs = about 15 minutes on the pedals from teh car to the bottom of the trail…

I only ride the hardtail on Fromme, so I am plenty warm

Nov. 2, 2006, 6:28 a.m.

i find my Etnies BMX shoes too floppy to use on the MTB, apart from blasting down the shops!

even with BMX specific shoes, there is a big variety even within 1 brand like Etnies - some are much stiffer and well padded, some have very thin soles and minimal uppers; bmx riders have their own ideas about how they want their shoe?

I've been wearinng Oakley Swithbacks (Team issue flat pedal shoe) a couple of years, don't like wearing them on the BMX as there's not enough "feel"

…but perfect for the MTB, provide a stiff pedalling platform and lots of toe/heel protection for emergency dismounts!

find the right shoe, and buy some spare pairs (Oakley sold out the Switchback but i got 4 pairs on sale :) )

Mythic / Da Kine / Esher Shore / Freeborn

http://hampsteadbandit.blogspot.com/

Nov. 2, 2006, 10:55 a.m.

MattJ, and others,

this is often really a hardtail-specific issue, at least for me, it is. i do not get this type of foot pain on duallies.

but on hardtail with soft shoes, if you're riding chunder at speed, the high speed impacts/vibrations really take a toll on the feet. having any rear susp really makes a huge difference here.

i still recommend a good hiking/work boot for hardtail on the shore as this means a lot less foot pain.

if you're not riding chunder on the shore, but smoother trails on your hardtail, then you won't really know about this. nor if you ride the shore chunder on a decent dually.

as for clipless … no thanks. the more forward pedal position puts a LOT more torque on the ankles if you mess up a drop/jump. i dont think Silk will be going clipess on the shore …

Nov. 2, 2006, 11:03 a.m.

Get a pair of these with the shank in them.

They stick like mad and the higher ankle will give you some support.

You can all go to hell. I'll be joining you shortly and I'm bringing beer and cheetos.

Nov. 2, 2006, 5:17 p.m.

Funny how the first thing suggested and done about any foot problem is to buy a new pair of shoes. No one actually tries to figure out if there is an alternative solution to a problem.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Nov. 2, 2006, 5:35 p.m.

i was getting foot cramps for a while. try drinking more milk if nothing else works

www.thecoastalcrew.com

Nov. 2, 2006, 5:39 p.m.

i was getting foot cramps for a while. try drinking more milk if nothing else works

Sometimes the simplest is what works.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Nov. 2, 2006, 5:44 p.m.

Funny how the first thing suggested and done about any foot problem is to buy a new pair of shoes. No one actually tries to figure out if there is an alternative solution to a problem.

did you not read the first post?

silk rides duallies for years - no significant foot pain

silk rides his HT tons last couple months and foot pain develops.

this aint rocket science. riding a hardtail on the shore WILL make your feet hurt when you start out. as you get smoother and used to it, things will improve. pretty common, and yes, buying better shoes WILL help.

Nov. 2, 2006, 5:51 p.m.

did you not read the first post?

silk rides his HT tons last couple months and foot pain develops.

this aint rocket science. riding a hardtail on the shore WILL make your feet hurt when you start out. as you get smoother and used to it, things will improve. pretty common, and yes, buying better shoes WILL help.

Yes I did. But have learned over the years that most problems have more than one solution to deal with it. Especially when it comes to the human body.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Nov. 2, 2006, 6:34 p.m.

dont ride with your middle of foot on the pedals slide your foot back so the front of your foot is on the pedal

JDM POWER!

Nov. 2, 2006, 6:51 p.m.

I thought he just started riding a little while ago?

Nov. 2, 2006, 7:05 p.m.

Two words: work boots

I have real sensitive feet and have had surgery on my right ankle. Workboots are all I can ride in, even with BMX I gotta have em. Steel toed, steel soled.

Thats how all the skaters at the park know me.
"whoa work boots is killin it today" :lol:

Nov. 2, 2006, 8:16 p.m.

I thought he just started riding a little while ago?

i've known him for a couple years now and pretty sure he's been riding most of that.

either way, i'm tellin ya'll, hardtail on the shore redefines any kind of riding pain you might think you have on a dually. so much more incentive to be smooth! :)

Nov. 2, 2006, 10:35 p.m.

I had that when I rode hardtail with narrow pedals and very soft soled shoes. Once I got a bit wider pedals my feet had the proper support they need and they didn't cramp anymore.

So your solution could be a combination of wider pedals and stiffer shoes.

I'm happy to get outside and enjoy nature while I can, but I fear for the future of humanity