A few shore Questions

July 24, 2015, 7:37 a.m.

Hi,

Aside from a short ride on Fromme on Wednesday this week, I haven't ridden the shore for years. However, I'm back in Vancouver in holiday right now with a friend, and am looking to do a little ride on Sunday. I have a couple of questions though, and was hoping someone could help.

First up- is it still possible to get a bus up Seymour? I'm pretty certain you could do that when I was last here (did a summer in 2008 ) but I've been looking around online and can't find any info about it. Guess that means it no longer goes, but can anyone confirm that?

Secondly, if Seymour's not a goer, we're probably gonna go pedal up Fromme, as the trails I rode the other day were great! My buddy has never ridden here though, so I was hoping to show him some of the infamous woodwork which makes (certainly used to, at least) the Shore famous.
I'm not too familiar with Fromme, so can anyone tell me if there is much in the way of woodwork up there? And if so, which trails should I look out for?
Failing that, pedalling up Seymour could work- it's just a long way! Is there still much in the way of woodwork up there?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Scott.

July 24, 2015, 11:44 a.m.

Hey Scott,

I don't know about a bus up Seymour, but you can pedal up Old Buck. A lot of trails on Fromme have woodwork. I don't know that any one has alot more than others. Pipeline has a big section with a teeter totter. Ladies Only has some as well. Expresso is flowy with a bit of tech and a couple little wood features. Checkout trailforks.com. They have tons of information and if you're not too familiar with Fromme, you'll be able to put together a nice loop.

July 24, 2015, 12:59 p.m.

Bus #211 will take you along Mount Seymour Parkway to eastern base of Seymour at Parkgate Plaza. You can ride up Old Buck/Baden Powell from there to access trails.

Alternatively Bus #214 will take you up to the western base of Seymour at Hyannis [HTML_REMOVED] Berkley.
From there, you can pedal up Highschool to Bridle Path, then up Academy Climb, Rapid Transit, Rapid Transit Connector, C-Buster, Penny Lane, Good Sir Martin (all single track climbing) - again from here you can access a number of trails to descend.

Boogieman has quite a bit of woodwork, as does Pangor. There's a little on Severed and C-Buster. Also Pingu [HTML_REMOVED] Salvation.

Mount Seymour on Trailforks: http://www.trailforks.com/region/mount-seymour/

July 24, 2015, 1:37 p.m.

Seventh / Ladies on Fromme might be a good lap. There's some new woodwork on Seventh and classic moves on Ladies with the roller coasters, some skinnyish ramps, the teeter-totter (although the ponds would be better to see when they're full). I don't think you can fit more 'classic shore' into one trail than Ladies.

July 24, 2015, 2:01 p.m.

If you do got to Fromme and want to see something cool, on the climb beyond lower Oilcan look for a flat pullout to your left. This is the start of what's left of Jerry Rig. Hike down the embankment and you will see this:
http://nsmb.com/assets/JW/jerry30a.jpg

It's actually worth hiking the trail to see some of the structures. They are cray cray!

For currently rideable wood on Fromme, see Upper Oil Can, Ladies, 7th to some extent as there is a revamped stunt, and Pipeline.

July 25, 2015, 8:02 a.m.

I remember someone used to run a shuttle service up Seymour a couple of summers ago….haven't heard if it's still going or not.

Some decent woodwork on Fromme….depemds on what you like to ride.
If you want options, Upper Oilcan (between 6th [HTML_REMOVED] 7th switchback)has some fun stuff with ride-arounds, [HTML_REMOVED] you can connectlower down (above 5th switchback) to either Pipeline or Lady's Only. Either one will give you some great Shore style features (Pipeline has an nice long feature with rollers, hairpins, (slightly) skinny, and a teeter totter (also a ride-around option…depending on your (friends) riding level).

Have fun!

July 25, 2015, 8:18 a.m.

On your way down from Fromme, do Immonator! Short but fun, has some great balancy woodwork, riding it clean is a challenge. http://www.trailforks.com/trails/immonator/

Note that Natural High is closed due to construction, so you'll have to access it via Griffen.

As for the top down, 7th is easier than Upper Oilcan, Pipeline is easier than Ladies. Expresso is rebuilt and way more of an easy/moderate flow trail now, worth checking out if you're doing a couple of laps.

July 25, 2015, 11:37 a.m.

Immonator is a good choice for seeing Shore style woodwork without ruining your day by going over your head. It's low so it doesn't take too long to climb to (or can be hit on the way out) and even if you walk it, it only takes 15 minutes or so.

July 25, 2015, 11:46 a.m.

On your way down from Fromme, do Immonator! Short but fun, has some great balancy woodwork, riding it clean is a challenge. http://www.trailforks.com/trails/immonator/

Immonator is a good choice for seeing Shore style woodwork without ruining your day by going over your head. It's low so it doesn't take too long to climb to (or can be hit on the way out) and even if you walk it, it only takes 15 minutes or so.

Great suggestion.

July 25, 2015, 5:58 p.m.

I remember someone used to run a shuttle service up Seymour a couple of summers ago….haven't heard if it's still going or not.

By coincidence, I'll mention I saw the Huckwagon bus yesterday, parked on Old Dollarton Hwy (the old piece of Dollarton Hwy that got cut off by the new Dollarton extension). What gives?

July 25, 2015, 6:27 p.m.

What gives?

The huckwagon. Gives rides.

http://www.thehuckwagon.com

July 26, 2015, 9:38 a.m.

Seventh / Ladies on Fromme might be a good lap. There's some new woodwork on Seventh and classic moves on Ladies with the roller coasters, some skinnyish ramps, the teeter-totter (although the ponds would be better to see when they're full). I don't think you can fit more 'classic shore' into one trail than Ladies.

You could do a lap of Immonator at the end. It's got lots of low consequence skinnies.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.