A different trip to the shore

March 28, 2012, 2:10 a.m.

Hey everyone! I've been making an almost yearly trek from Utah to the shore since 2003 so have ridden there a few times, but am going this May with a few buddies that are strictly AM riders. This means no big airs/stunts this time around, but I'm kind of excited to see this side of the shore. I would gladly appreciate any trail recommendations. I'm thinking trails like pipeline, perhaps a little more techy even, but nothing that gets too crazy. We'll be riding mostly Fromme but Cypress and Seymour will be thrown in there too, perhaps stuff farther away as well if time permits. Thanks for your help!

Come to the dark side. We have cookies.

March 28, 2012, 7:46 a.m.

Buy this immediately

On Cypress my favourite AM loop is the XC Quickie, up the BLT to Upper Tall Cans then down. Or keep pedalling up to Slippery Canoe then combo it all down. Trails are relatively well-marked, and are pretty easy to find once you're headed back downhill. This loop is perfect on my Enduro. It's technical and twisty but no big drops or significant features.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

March 28, 2012, 8:39 a.m.

Try and get up to Squamish for a day if time permits.

March 28, 2012, 8:44 a.m.

If if you do that, get this! Even as a long-time explorer of the Sea to Sky corridor the app allowed me to find a whole bunch of new trails - primarily because the GPS function allowed me to confirm that I was at the correct trail junction. Amazing tool.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

March 28, 2012, 4:02 p.m.

this place is lame. totally skip it.

March 28, 2012, 4:04 p.m.

you should check out sex girl on cypress. its totally up your alley

March 28, 2012, 5:17 p.m.

SQUAMISH! anything off the Garibaldi Park Road will do - serious ridiculous fun!!!

March 28, 2012, 5:26 p.m.

you should check out sex girl on cypress. its totally up your alley

C'mon, seriously guys? They're coming up here to explore and have fun. More importantly, spend money!
we should be welcoming them and I'm sure there's a few locals willing to show them around.

March 28, 2012, 5:47 p.m.

What we call XC here is most definitely called AM elsewhere.

The trails in the lower Seymour area are great for this type of riding. Bridle Path, Sticks 'n Stones, Old Buck, Severed back to Bridle, over to Bottletop, is one of my favourite Shore XC loops.

The lower stuff on Fromme, east of the 1st switchback, are also great for not-too-technical pedally-type riding. The "7th Secret [HTML_REMOVED] Friends" loop in the Locals' Guide is a great ride for newcomers that's easy to navigate and not unreasonably challenging for non-Shore riders.

flickr

March 28, 2012, 6:02 p.m.

Sounds like you wanna do Seymour, Fromme [HTML_REMOVED] Squamish. Alot of the trails on Cypress are pretty difficult/ steep.

Thread killer

March 28, 2012, 6:04 p.m.

I don't know, we may only have the one trail here in Squamish, but Half Nelson is not too lame.

March 30, 2012, 5:55 a.m.

If you are coming up here to ride AM the best bang for your buck is Squamish. There are more trails there then you could ride in a week and the towm and people are awesome. I would skip the Shore and just go to Squamish. If you want AM with a sprinkle (lol) of stunts try IMBA Smart at the top of Diamondhead and link to the rest of the trails down.

Have a good trip.

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

fines are useless. there needs to be more punches to the throat.

March 30, 2012, 10:06 a.m.

Did someone move imba-smart to the top of Diamondhead and make it stunty?

Your friends will struggle in north van, but will feel like heros in Squamish, depends how badly you want to make them suffer.

March 30, 2012, 10:30 a.m.

^ sounds like doctor's advice…or a commercial. 9 out of 10 AM riders say Squamish…..

March 31, 2012, 10:14 p.m.

Thanks for the good info everyone. I appreciate it, and keep it coming if you have any more suggestions.

Come to the dark side. We have cookies.