7th Secret Work Complete

Oct. 2, 2011, 6:50 p.m.

That would be great, Ship-it.

Now that the shoulder height log has been trimmed back, the line for the tight right-hander has broadened out to riders left. This could use some armouring.

I'm gonna miss that log. Last time it was there I had to brake so hard to avoid it that I nose-wheelied down the pitch! :damn:

After:

web: nsmba.ca
email: [email protected]

Trails for all, trails forever.

Oct. 2, 2011, 8:10 p.m.

rode seventh tonight, it was BEEYOOOTIFUL. rode better than i ever remember, thanks for all the work being put in.

Oct. 3, 2011, 12:44 p.m.

Good work everyone. Thanks for putting all the effort in to get the trail back up to snuff.

Question: What is the reasoning for using the skinny planks (as opposed to ladders)? Is it that it is a faster/cheaper/etc construction method. or is it that some people believe them to be fun to ride?

Just curious. Thx.

Oct. 3, 2011, 2:21 p.m.

Question: What is the reasoning for using the skinny planks (as opposed to ladders)? Is it that it is a faster/cheaper/etc construction method. or is it that some people believe them to be fun to ride? Just curious. Thx.

Speaking in general terms (as I had nothing to do with this build)

Benefits:

-Quick
-Uses less material (nails, rungs, stringers, labor hours) [HTML_REMOVED]- this is a huge factor

Drawbacks:

-Lack of traction in the wet: It's prone to getting covered in mud
-It much harder to set the plank such that it's level and is stable
-damage requires replacement vs repair
-doesn't do well with beginners (they fall off and wreck the edges )

Oct. 3, 2011, 2:41 p.m.

Think it was mentioned that the time to cut slats was a factor in choosing the skinny option.

Personally not a fan of the skinnies when they immediately precede or follow a turn, as it always ends up wearing out to a tooth pick as riders slip off and chew away at the sides. Example -one was on bridal path by wills way (though now fixed with slats) and still on boogieman right after the cedar canoe. Great for those who can ride them but sooner o later they get whittled down…

But like them in the straight line for a little balance practice.

Good work and thanks for the trail love guys!

Oct. 3, 2011, 10:01 p.m.

In this case the milled logs were put in to save time/money while keeping the work in character with the trail. There are a few other sections where that type of woodwork was done in the past and we thought it would be appropriate to do something similar.

I personally like ladder bridges more in terms of the ride and aesthetics, but milled logs let you build through straight sections easily and quickly. We used ladder bridges for all the turns and only used milled logs for straight shots so that people hopefully won't get skidding off janky logs in the wet!

Oct. 14, 2011, 8:04 p.m.

Returned to a favourite trail (for last 15 years), and had the sweetest flow ride ever! Throw in the great work on Upper Griffen and we have a great mellow flow line.

Not sure how I have posted 4.2 billion times, but I do forget things!