31 years old and 3 inches????

Jan. 20, 2003, 2:35 a.m.

Hello out there

I am a 31 year old mountainbiker from Norway. I have ridden XC for 7 years and want to convert to dh and freeride…

How can I learn to ride 3 inch wide logs even if I am perhaps to old for it…?

Any concrete tips on how to learn balance and real freeriding skills at my age?

thanks

Atle K
www.terrengsykkel.com

Jan. 20, 2003, 2:48 a.m.

Quite easy: Find something a bit wider than 3 inches, learn to REALLY control your bike, i.e. braking, stopping, pedalling again without losing balance. This is crucial. Keep control.

You are not too old for it, believe me. It will work out. Get a good bike, some armor and practice, practice, practice.
DO not think you will make it in a couple of days.

Practise hucks and wheelie-drops from small obstacles, curbs and the like. REALLY learn the BASICS, or you will be in a whole lot of trouble….

Check out the trail tales and people section on this site (www.nsmb.com) to find useful tips and suggestions.
ALL the best and…HAVE FUN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Jan. 20, 2003, 3:29 a.m.

u got me sceared there with the title…3 inches….:P

Jan. 20, 2003, 3:31 a.m.

ho ho…..

Jan. 20, 2003, 7:15 a.m.

lol i sound funny when he only said 3 inches

Jan. 20, 2003, 8:24 a.m.

Quality title.

Start small and practice practice practice. If you've got extra wood lying around from other projects through it down in your backyard and practice as much as possible (like 2X8s ect to begin, them maybe 2X4s eventually or even smaller).

Wear lots of gear! You don't bounce up as well anymore.

This space intentionally left blank.

Jan. 20, 2003, 8:42 a.m.

Just work on your balance on things like curbs, try to stay on the curb. Then work your way up, don't start to high, its all about confidence really. Ride On. Good to see another European, Welcome Dude.

:scotland: El Presidente

Jan. 20, 2003, 9:02 a.m.

Originally posted by atlee
**Hello out there

I am a 31 year old mountainbiker from Norway. I have ridden XC for 7 years and want to convert to dh and freeride…

How can I learn to ride 3 inch wide logs even if I am perhaps to old for it…?

Any concrete tips on how to learn balance and real freeriding skills at my age?

thanks

Atle K
www.terrengsykkel.com **

Well, I was about your age when I started racing XC. I got into the freeriding about a year later. There's nothing stopping you - age is a state of mind, after all!

All you have to do is get out and ride! Try stuff, push yourself a bit, try again. When doing one move is easy, move on to the next. Or, when you get used to a move, find different ways to do it - instead of dropping off of something, try to stop and side hop off. When you master a trail, do it again and try to make your riding smoother than the last time.

For skinnies, I learned by riding curbs on the road. Everywhere I rode, if I was on a section of road with a curb I'd just pop my wheels onto the curb and see how far I could ride it. I always stand when I'm riding skinnies, but some people sit it out.

Have fun!

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Jan. 20, 2003, 9:45 a.m.

I just turned 34 and I'm still going big. The older you get, the more cautious, things don't heal up as fast as they used to. Start small and gradually move up, and practice. Also work on being smooth.

Kids!!….a moment of pleasure..a lifetime of pain.

Jan. 20, 2003, 10:01 a.m.

JUST GIVE'R!

37 YEARS ON THE BIKE :: 1981-2018

Jan. 20, 2003, 10:14 a.m.

how are you to have time to ride, what with all the retirement parties and such?

turn off sigs…it will change your life

Jan. 20, 2003, 10:26 a.m.

Originally posted by KenN
There's nothing stopping you - age is a state of mind, after all!

w3rd. like everyone is saying, just try it, and have fun!

'cac

www.RacquetChat.com

Jan. 20, 2003, 1:19 p.m.

Originally posted by atlee
**Hello out there

How can I learn to ride 3 inch wide logs even if I am perhaps to old for it…?**

Aldri for gammel!!!

Tren deg opp med en planke p

Jan. 20, 2003, 2:15 p.m.

i found when i frist started practicing riding skinnies, i started trying to ride as long as i could on curbs. just to get the basic balance down, and then work your way up from that. highway barriers, walls downtown, wherever theres stuff skinny to ride :) but the curbs really do help, and you can go forever on lots of them

T1
mr. sieben!!

Jan. 20, 2003, 3:49 p.m.

Originally posted by mr_fungle
**Aldri for gammel!!!

Tren deg opp med en planke p**

It is better to regret something you did, rather than to regret something you didn't do.
- Moody