24 Hour Fromme Closure Due To Bear Incident

May 26, 2021, 2:31 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

MEC has had a run on bear spray.

I've been meaning to pick up a fresh canister as mine has been expired for a while and this incident prompted me to go get it done on Sunday eve. The cashier said they'd gone through a few boxes since the incident hit social media.

Genuine question: I've got some bear spray (which I've only ever carried with me when I know I'm in a grizzly territory) but it's expired.

What actually happens if you try to use long-expired bear spray? How does it affect the propellant and/or the active ingredients??

May 26, 2021, 2:34 p.m.

I carry spray now too. A good friend of mine was hiking MacKay Creek trail a few weeks ago and had to deploy his spray at a bear that was too interested in him. I have a “case” for the spray that allows me to carry it in a bottle cage or ass pack with a bottle holder. I’ve seen a lot of bears here in Whistler this spring. More that usual. Plus a loaded bear banger. One bear I was warned of while walking had bluff charged the guy who warned me. I crossed the road to give the bear space but he came down the road sort of at me, banger out, but my dog barking, on leash, and an escape rout for the bear and it was a non issue. I’ve been working in wilderness or hiking and biking for 45 years and never had an incident.

Last edited by: andy-eunson on May 26, 2021, 2:36 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
May 26, 2021, 3:25 p.m.

Posted by: SixZeroSixOne

Genuine question: I've got some bear spray (which I've only ever carried with me when I know I'm in a grizzly territory) but it's expired.

What actually happens if you try to use long-expired bear spray? How does it affect the propellant and/or the active ingredients??

It's like any spray can product, over time the propellant can degrade.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/bear-spray-expires-1.4703457

If it's a a few months or even a year past the expiry date I personally wouldn't be too concerned. A couple years or more and it's probably time to consider a new canister.  It's the sort of thing that if you need it, do you really want to trust your life to saving $40 by using an expired can?

Last edited by: syncro on May 26, 2021, 3:27 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 26, 2021, 3:34 p.m.

Despite the sensationalistic side, this vid is actually pretty good in that it shows the effectiveness of using bear spray on a bear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW74wF-tbto