2012 ride stats etc

Jan. 8, 2013, 9:02 a.m.

Last year was somewhere around 80 rides for me if I had to give a low-ball estimate. Only THREE of those were shuttle assisted, the rest were pedal up/ride down/repeat loops…I feel pretty good about that!

That's and interesting point - shuttling.
Most of my rides were non-shuttled, with a few exception:

1 of my 5 Vedder rides was shuttled.
I rode 20K on the KVR near Rock creek, ending at a very nice PUB. We called for a ride back to the camp site after burger and beers - is that shuttling?
Access to Lorna Lake and our 11 hour ride day was via float plane. Is that considered a shuttle?

Everything else was pedal powered.

Jan. 8, 2013, 9:35 a.m.

some people do, a lot of people don't. just because others use it a certain way doesn't mean you need to use it a certain way, you can even make all your rides private you know so no one even knows you use it! :)

See this is what I told myself when I signed up for Strava, it's not a competition, I can just use it to track my rides, but unfortunately I am a competitive person and the second I am in any way being "timed" or more importantly can compare myself to other times, I feel like it's a race… So I totally get where LG is coming from :)

www.essentialcycles.com | www.essentialcycles.shop 

Service, Sales & Repair Shop, Mountain Bike Rentals, Coaching & Guiding

Jan. 8, 2013, 9:44 a.m.

I'm an anomoly, as you could count my commute as mountain biking, given that I work on Burnaby Mtn and ride 4 or 5 days per week and never ever ever ever take the road up the mountain. So my commute is 50% on road and then 50% offroad, once I hit the trail system. I only ride down the TCT on days when there's too much snow to descend single track. So usually it's all trail riding.

In spring/summer/fall (non-ski season), I'll also have the good fortune to ride an additional 2-4 rides per week (real rides, not SFU rides). Mostly on Burke, Eagle, Squamish, Whistler (largely Flank area), or Fromme.

For one month each summer we go on a bike-oriented road trip (use all our vacation time in the summer). This year was Leavenworth, Wenatchee, Schweitzer, Panorama, Kimberley Forest reserve area, Mt. Swansea (Invermere), Banff/Canmore, Kicking Horse/Mt. 7, Silver Star.

We don't care to shuttle as it seems to defeat the whole purpose. The only non-grunt riding is bike parks. We did 3 days at Whistler bike park.

So I guess I'm comfortably over 200, but likely less than 300. The kids (age 7 and 9) are likely around 40 to 50 rides, mostly Burnaby Mtn, Lower Burke, Squamish, Lost Lake Trails, and Bobsled, Bobsled, Bobsled, as well as the summer road trip. The Mrs. is likely around 100-125 with the vast majority on Burke, as she works a few blocks from the trails up there and goes 2-3 days after work when the daylight hours extend to at least 5:30.

Jan. 9, 2013, 9:57 a.m.

I'll Play.

I only started keeping track in March except for a couple rides so my stats from March to December are as follows:

Total Days with rides: 153

Breakdown-

Fromme: 29 days
Seymour: 33 days
Cypress: 31 days
WBP: 12 days
Whistler Valley: 1 day
Squamish: 8 days
Bear Mtn: 4 days
SFU: 3 days
Sea Otter: 4 days
Santa Cruz: 3 days
San Luis Obispo: 4 days
Santa Barbara: 2 days
Sunshine Coast: 6 days
Galbraith: 1 day
Sumas: 1 day
Eagle: 2 days
Black Rock: 1 day
Naramata: 4 days
Road Rides: 4 days

I'm definitely going to be using that FB app this year, very cool. Too bad I'm already starting off injured and sill be out for a couple weeks. Shooting to do another 150 days this year for sure as long as I stay healthy.

My Team From San Luis Obispo, CA
SLOtothebone.wordpress.com

My Dirtbag Team in BC
The B-Team

B-Team :heart:'s You

Jan. 9, 2013, 10:04 a.m.

^^^^Bonus points for how spread out your rides are….although I guess they are all still local rides for you…lol.

Jan. 9, 2013, 10:59 a.m.

Cool - I've ridden with each of the top 4! Although in 2012, only Sharon and Kim.

Well Steve we will have to fix that this year. The Extra rides on top of my 167 mtb rides are road rides to work.

Jan. 9, 2013, 11:17 a.m.

Well Steve we will have to fix that this year. The Extra rides on top of my 167 mtb rides are road rides to work.

Sounds like a good plan.

Jan. 11, 2013, 12:27 p.m.

My 2012…

Seymour - 21 days
Fromme - 10 days
Cypress - 7 days
SFU - 4 days
Delta Watershed - 4
Stanley Park - 2
Burke - 12
Port Moody - 1, Belcarra - 1
Woodlot - 1
Ledgeview - 3
Sumas - 3
Mission - 1, Red - 1, Bear - 3
Whistler - 4
Pemby - 2
Sunshine Coast - 2
Duncan - 1
Salt Spring - 1
Kamloops - 1, SunPeaks - 2
Williams Lake - 3

Washington - 5 (Dry Hill, Stevens Pass, Wenatchee, Winthrop)

Peru - 9 days (Thanks Wayo - www.inkasadventures.com)

Misses:
Eagle
Squamish
Galbraith
Silver Star
Southern Vancouver Island (Victoria, Sooke)

Jan. 11, 2013, 10:40 p.m.

I don't keep track of rides much but going through my photo folders here are my multi-day trips from 2012. I have a ton of local San Diego/OC stuff as well from SD to Palm Spings to LA to OC but don't have as many photos for local rides. I have been fortunate to be able to explore a large part of the SW USA this year, some amazing riding to be had!

Xmas trip 2011 SD to BC 20 of 21 days riding (Santa Rosa CA, Paradise Royale, Black Rock, Sandy Ridge/Portland, Galbraith, Fromme, Seymour/Cyps, Squamish, 9 days Courtenay/Cumberland/Campbell River, Castle Crest WA, Hood River, Chico CA, Laguna Beach CA)

Anderson Truck Trail - every Weds from Jan to May and Oct-Dec (gets too hot)
Anza Borrego Desert State Park - 2 days, Feb
Arizona trip - April, 5 days (3 days Phoenix, 2 Tucson)
Arizona trip - May, 8 days (3 days Prescott, 2 Sedona, 1 Globe, 2 Tucson)
Bikepacking - Noble Canyon to San Diego (3 days, 125mi)
Bikepacking - Big Bear loop (3 days, 105mi)
Kernville - Sequoia Nat'l Forest (3 days)
Montana - Wyoming (10 days - 6 days Big Sky/Bozeman, 4 days Jackson Hole [HTML_REMOVED] Yellowstone)
Noble Canyon weekend (2 days)
Pasadena/LA weekend (4 days San Gabriel Mtns)
Prescott - Memorial Day weekend (3 days)
Santa Anas weekend (Los Pinos and Coldwater - 2 days)
Sedona (4 days - March)
Sierra Nevadas hiking - July (6 days)
Sierra Nevadas biking - Aug (17 days - 7 days Kernville, 3 days Mammoth, 8 days Tahoe-Downieville)
LA trip, San Gabriels (4 days)

CO/UT trip. 37 days. Zion [HTML_REMOVED] Bryce Cyn Nat'l Parks, Paunsaugunt Plateau (4 days), Salt Lake City (2 days), Green River UT (2 days), Moab UT (4 days), Durango CO (10 days), Rico CO (3 days), Telluride (2 days), Cortez CO (2 days), Coconino 250 bikepacking (Sedona-Prescott-Flagstaff, 4 days), Sedona (1 day)

Xmas trip 2012 7 days (Mendocino CA 2 days, Redwoods State Park, Fromme, Seymour laps, Syncline in Hood River OR, Redding CA)

Jan. 11, 2013, 11:10 p.m.

Minimum twice a week all year, sometimes three to five in the summer if its good. I'd say 100 rides for 2012, I tracked 43 on Strava, and will be tracking all year on Strava (didn't start last year until July!)

Delta Watershed
Burke
Fromme
Seymour
Cypress
SSC
Whistler Valley
1 day in the park
4 glorious days in Pemby
3 even more glorious days in the Chilcotins
Galby
Bear
Red
Sumas
Woodlot
Squamish
2 days at Sun Peaks
Alger
NF
South Surrey Bike Park
Abby 4X

Shed head!

Jan. 12, 2013, 8:29 a.m.

See this is what I told myself when I signed up for Strava, it's not a competition, I can just use it to track my rides, but unfortunately I am a competitive person and the second I am in any way being "timed" or more importantly can compare myself to other times, I feel like it's a race… So I totally get where LG is coming from :)

Same. I signed up for Strava to try an alternate ride tracker and see what the fuss was about, and I've found that now that I know my times compared to other people, I'm making a conscious effort to go faster. I'm not sure how this is working out, I end up pushing really hard during known segments to see what my best effort is, but I also rest a fair bit at the beginning and end. Before Strava my goal was to ride continuously with no rests, now it's sprint/rest/sprint.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

Jan. 12, 2013, 8:36 a.m.

i tried that, but a lot of people DO use it as a race medium. which is not how i ride, and yeah it was bugging me. not many women use it.

That should make it easier to rack up the QOMs then.

Jan. 12, 2013, 10:09 a.m.

Nice to see I'm not the only one keeping track! There are some real hardcores on here.

98 mtb rides

49 Fromme
15 Hartland (Victoria)
6 Whistler Bike Park
5 Mt Bruce (Saltspring)
4 Seymour
3 SFU
2 Silverstar
2 Maple Mtn
2 Tzouhalem
2 Cumberland
1 Mt. Washington
1 Woodlot
1 Hammerfest
5 Dirt roads

63 DH Bike (53 climbing and pushing, 9 bike park, 1 shuttle)
35 XC bike

I also put in 110 rides (commuting and other) on my road bike to hit my goal of 208 days last year. 4 times a week. Going for 209 this year.

Jan. 12, 2013, 10:25 a.m.

2012 Highlights
Total Distance (includes trainer rides) 4,880 mi
Trainer Distance 490 mi
Road Distance (excludes trainer rides) 4,390 mi
Time on bike 394:01:40 hrs
Total Rides (includes trainer rides) 215
Trainer Rides 25
Rides over 25 mi 77
Rides over 50 mi 8
Rides over 75 mi 2
Total Segments Ridden 4,010

Training for BC Bike Race, doing BC Bike Race, maybe 50:50 road to mtb, whole load of 5:00am starts and a big push at end to get over 7000kms. Because I'm never riding that much again. 2013 plan - do a lot less training and a lot more riding

Jan. 12, 2013, 6:25 p.m.

177 days between DH, XC, and jump bike.