12 North Shore Triple Crowns in a Row

Jan. 29, 2016, 5:27 p.m.

12 Triple Crowns In a row, 1 calendar year.

Last year was one of the lowest snow years in a long time. I can usually get my quick hit ski tour for a short side stash on one of the local North Shore mountains in the winter.

It was February still no snow, I pulled out my mountain bike for a longer day in the sun. I managed to pull off a triple crown ride. Then again in March. I thought about turns all year. Where you ski every month of the year. My brother and I have a streak of 112 months in a row. Earned turns every month.I thought of climbing and skiing Mt. Baker every month of the year. A lot more involved due to avalanche hazards in the winter.

Riding my favorite ride seemed to make more sense. Since, I could pedal right from my door in pure human powered style. I figured I could see how many months in a row I could ride and try and hit a calendar year. Door to door. Each ride usually takes 5 hours up to 10.

A standard ride is Severdick on Seymour, Espresso on Fromme, stupid Grouse on Cypress.One epic would have to be mandatory, where I start in Deep Cove, descend CBC. Climb to the chalet at Grouse, descend Jet Engine. Climb to and descend Sagamartha and finish at Horseshoe Bay.

Then different variations on each mountain along the way for regular rides. You can really find your rhythm and flow state through repetition of your route. After 25 years of riding the North Shore,I defenitley have the route dialed.

Such a fun classic ride, Giver don't skidder!

Turns all year ski edition
95 To Infinity - Traslins' Never Ending Shred https://shar.es/1h7qpT

Mike V legendary skateboarder quote:

Burn it.
The body feeds the mind.A physical philosophy.A poetic willpower.A moving meditation.Forged through muscle and heart.Transforming the body.Transforming the character.Breathing ecstasy into life.Spirituality.The body feeds the soul.Burn it.

Photos: Mike Traslin

Jan. 29, 2016, 5:34 p.m.

That "Epic" sounds unreal. You sir, are an animal.

:eek2:

Jan. 29, 2016, 7:44 p.m.

Beast for sure.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Jan. 29, 2016, 8:59 p.m.

Amazing for sure!

I have managed to get a few triple crowns in over the years but sadly most have been a solo adventure.

I sure do miss the old Rippers and the fun we had.

Remember 2006 boys?

http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=81375

Jan. 29, 2016, 10:12 p.m.

Thanks for a new goal for my '16!!!

Jan. 30, 2016, 1:29 p.m.

https://www.strava.com/activities/344077719

One a year for me. Congrats on 12, that's a lot of crowns;)

Shed head!

Jan. 30, 2016, 3:57 p.m.

Impressive. Inspiring. Your life makes my idea of getting a triple crown tattoo if I should ever have the chance to pull just one off….well, pathetic.

Sick. Determined. Focused. The good stuff.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Jan. 30, 2016, 4:46 p.m.

Nice work. I need to get back in the habit of biting off big challenging rides regularly.

Jan. 30, 2016, 5:29 p.m.

Then there was the time the Traslins showed up at triple crown check points before the volunteers even showed up.

Jan. 30, 2016, 6:25 p.m.

Well done! I am lucky if I manage to get one Triple Crown done in a year. Our rule is that we have to ride down to sea level between mountains. Makes for a long 10k + foot day.

Feb. 1, 2016, 10:13 a.m.

Congrats Andy. Ride for real. Since 85.

Feb. 10, 2016, 6:14 p.m.

I am biased. But considering the shoestring budget you had for maintenance on your bikes…. that you were able to keep together….. This is very under rated. :ukraine:

Feb. 10, 2016, 9:19 p.m.

That's pretty nuts. I will do it one day… Once.

Maybe…

Probably not. Nevermind.

Feb. 11, 2016, 11:02 a.m.

Respect!
I always want to try triple crown eveytime I read the article about it.
I just wondering what will be the best route to connect each Mt. to avoid pedaling road? less road more trail.
1. from Seymour to Fromme
2. Fromme to Cypress
3. Cypress to Horseshoebay

I can navigate each mountains well but I don't know how to connect to them to minimize road pedaling.
I really appreciate if you give me some information.
Thanks

Feb. 11, 2016, 7:11 p.m.

@Silk, those rippers were fun, classic shots.

@Mic, pulling off one triple crown is fine, doesn't matter how many you pull off, as long as your having fun. A tattoo has no bearing on the result. Athletes get tattoos whether they qualify for the Olympics or win a gold medal.

@heckler that was a fun day.

@skooks, one triple crown is more normal and probably a lot funner. One and done.I like that idea for the sea level to gain 10,000', might try that. I usually climb to the top of Seymour, Grouse and Sagarmartha and still barely hit 10,000.

@mtraslin, yup budget for sure, on my last triple crown ride I got a stick stuck in my wheel night riding and bent hanger deraileur. I had to ride in granny gear form the Lonsdale Quay. I had to borrow 9 speed road deraileur from my old road bike to keep going.

Good thing Brian Kelly hand made a 29er hardtail frame for me. BK Ripper 29r. I switched the drive train over to finish the journey.