Tired of chain drop?

May 19, 2012, 11:14 p.m.

Loving Bionicon chain guide on my slayer [HTML_REMOVED] it works great. Simple yet functional design that doesnt require any tinkering. Got mine primarily to stop the chain slap. Also works great as chain tensioner. Keeps everything nice [HTML_REMOVED] quiet and prevents any chain drop.

May 20, 2012, 7:26 p.m.

Specialized dangler works mint. Months of riding with mine, never a dropped chain and don't notice it when pedaling or shifting. This would be a nice upgrade for my olde bikes.

Play : Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

May 21, 2012, 9:36 a.m.

Not all bikes work with a Stinger.
You need 10 speed for Shadow+ if I'm not mistaken?

Yes, you do need 10 spd for the S+ derailleur - good point. Gotta say, thought, that the new Shimano 10spd stuff is amazing. Quick crisp shifts, no dropped chains, and no chain or cog troubles even though I'm 225lbs and stomp on the pedals pretty hard.

May 22, 2012, 12:09 p.m.

I added one of these on my Reign and have a few rides on it so far. I am sure this will help with the dropped chains similar to what a Stinger would do. I have a Stinger on my FR bike and it works just fine.

I could have put a bb mounted Stinger on my Reign as it is a 2010 model but it would not have solved the problem I was attempting to fix. I very seldom drop a chain on my Reign whether riding on XC type trails or on the shore. What was very annoying on the Reign was the amount chain slap and the noise created by it.

The Bionicon chain guide eliminates almost all chain slap. It basically cuts the distance in half (rear derailleur to crank) where the chain can freely move.

The only problem remaining is I occasionally drop a chain on the spoke side of the cassette. This only happens when in 1st gear and hitting some really rough terrain and can be fixed by keeping in 2nd gear or higher. Yes, the limiter and b-tension are set properly.

Here is a shot of the guide mounted up. Apologies for the larger size pics I don't have any software on my work computer to scale them down.

May 22, 2012, 1:24 p.m.

I'm sick of hitting my Stinger on rocks/logs and having to stop and fix it trailside. Plus, the bottom of my swingarm is pretty gouged where it has swung back and pinched the chain. I'm thinking of changing to one of these (Bionicon or SPecialized equivalent) or just bung on a Shadow Plus and get rid of the guide roller.

Cheers Ben

May 22, 2012, 2:38 p.m.

I'm sick of hitting my Stinger on rocks/logs and having to stop and fix it trailside. Plus, the bottom of my swingarm is pretty gouged where it has swung back and pinched the chain. I'm thinking of changing to one of these (Bionicon or SPecialized equivalent) or just bung on a Shadow Plus and get rid of the guide roller.

Cheers Ben

How are you hitting your stinger so much? It should not really be in a spot that gets hit. Your bashguard should be taking the hits well before the stinger in most cases.

May 22, 2012, 5:14 p.m.

How are you hitting your stinger so much? It should not really be in a spot that gets hit. Your bashguard should be taking the hits well before the stinger in most cases.

I haven't hit it often - maybe three times. The last time - slow speed off the side of some woodwork to log straddle - onto the bashring and then hit the roller (actually MRP LRP not stinger). It rotated on the mount (ISCG) and pinched the chain between the roller and swingarm. I assume the previous time was similar, didn't notice straight away. Plus one other where the roller was gone and I hadn't noticed.

I would like to be able to bash my bash ring without sorrying about the roller. I don't think I will drop a chain too much anyway.

Cheers Ben