Thunderbolts!

April 10, 2015, 4:49 p.m.

i agree the prices of the flagship bikes seems exorbitant but less so when i look at high end road bikes. that i really don't get. there is a community feel to this and some other bike forums which is really cool, but i suspect there is a broad spectrum of incomes too which is unknowable and ultimately irrelevant. my point i reckon is that there are mtn bikers and forum users who probably can afford these bikes and that's why there seems to be more and more of them. there is more $6000+ bikes in a small LBS in the Comox Valley than i've seen anywhere this season. $2000 wheelsets too. they say the demand is there. and incomes here are generally brutal!

April 10, 2015, 4:55 p.m.

There you go: two 2015.5 Drewditions sold!

i'll still have to start some sort of indiegogo thing though.

And yes, sorry Different Bikes. How about some live pics and ballpark prices for the other models just to balance things out?

don't be, it was a valid comment. i just said that cause i didn't want to take it any further and completely punk up the thread.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

April 10, 2015, 5:56 p.m.

The BC Edition Thunderbolt is the first bike Rocky has made since the red/yellow Altitude T.O. circa nineteen-ninety-cantilever that speaks to me, and also to the riding I like to do and really balances aggressive spec (Fox 36) with weight/efficiency.

:

Don't want no stinkin' Fox, thought it came with a Pike?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

April 10, 2015, 6:50 p.m.

There you go: two 2015.5 Drewditions sold!

And yes, sorry Different Bikes. How about some live pics and ballpark prices for the other models just to balance things out?

Hey Drew, thanks for straight talk. We like your Drewdition idea as well and will keep pitching for something like it next year. Also, there are a few frame-only available to be ordered, we can help folks build their own edition as well. This is a super-versatile platform! My (Andy) BC Edition is a pretty rocking' bike. I have been riding it with a few tweaks (Next cranks, lighter wheelset) Climbs unbelievably well and with that Pike (130mm) up front feels bigger than it is when pointed downhill. RIDE9 lets me play with angles for how I like the handling. ~25 lbs with 1550g wheels, 750g tires, Next cranks, XTR pedals and otherwise stock. Over the next week or two I will be swapping some parts around for full XC mode and figure it will be ~22lbs (light wheels and tires, no dropper, 120mm XC fork etc.) Will post pics.

As for the rest of the lineup, we'll get some real life shots up soon!
List prices for the carbon Thunderbolts are as follows:
790 MSL BC Ed $6699
770 MSL $5799
750 MSL $4599

Now would be a great time to note that Rocky Mountain will be hosting a demo day at Mt Seymour on May 2nd and 3rd (Parkgate Community Centre parking lot) where you can try the 790 BC Ed and the 770 MSL - first come first served!

www.differentbikes.ca
North Vancouver | West Vancouver | Vancouver Broadway |

April 10, 2015, 6:51 p.m.

Don't want no stinkin' Fox, thought it came with a Pike?

Yep. Pike RCT3 130mm Solo Air.

www.differentbikes.ca

April 14, 2015, 11:02 p.m.

2015 Thunderbolt 750 MSL

2015 Thunderbolt 770 MSL

2015 Thunderbolt 790 MSL BC EDITION

Weights
- these are all as built out-of-box, no pedals, tubes in tires.
750 MSL: 28.08 lb
770 MSL: 27.09 lb
790 MSL BC: 26.79lb
799 MSL: 24.69lb

www.differentbikes.ca

April 16, 2015, 4:57 p.m.

And to think when I saw the title they were bringing back a full 853 Reynolds hardtail that is hand built and fillet brazed. Wrong decade, obviously.

Nice bike with a nice build but even for me the price is tough to swallow. Better have one hell of a warranty.

April 16, 2015, 9:12 p.m.

If memory serves I think anything fillet brazed woulda' been Tange?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

April 23, 2015, 7:22 a.m.

So the Di2 calculates the ideal gear you should be in - paddle one way for a taller gear, the other for lower. How does that work when you don't know when it's going to initiate a front shift? Seems like that would get crunchy?

Correct regarding how it works, assuming you are using the single shifter option. As an aside, the shifting behaviour is programmable, and it also produces a beep sound to warn you that the next shift in the same direction will initiate a chainring change.

The 799 has both shifters stock so we have not tested the exact scenario you describe. That said, even when forcing an under-power chainring shift, the Di2 works remarkably well with a minimum of crunch.

www.differentbikes.ca