Obsession: Bikes introduces"Ask Crazy Lou"

May 7, 2007, 7:07 a.m.

Nooooo news for the wicked , wait and see !

The Obsessed

Obsession: Bikes
Doing it right, right on time.

94 Lonsdale Ave. North Vancouver
Google Maps Link

Hours of Operation

May 7, 2007, 8:04 a.m.

Lou, what can be done to my 2006 Fox Van36RC2 to make it more progressive. You sent it to FOX and it came back feeling the same, can you look at it again when I am in Vancouver May 18-21? I owe you and James sooooo much beer.

Gurney

May 7, 2007, 8:35 a.m.

Lou, the new Avid codes….

…are they just following fashion, and does anyone really need more than a juicy when a tank like Rennie runs an ultimate front and rear?

"One half chromosome from a chimpanzee….

and loving it!"

May 7, 2007, 10:34 a.m.

Lou, what can be done to my 2006 Fox Van36RC2 to make it more progressive. You sent it to FOX and it came back feeling the same, can you look at it again when I am in Vancouver May 18-21? I owe you and James sooooo much beer.

Gurney

now that's a very good question! i'm sure there is more that just us two wondering if James at OGC will be able to work some magic on the RC2 compression damping.

i'm running mine with an xtra-firm spring and full high-speed compression damping and i find the fork still blows thru the travel very easily.

May 7, 2007, 2:48 p.m.

Lou, I just got a Z1 light without the ETA and it didn't come with a manual. Which air valve does what, and whats a good starting point for setting it up for a 200lb w/ gear rider who doesn't do big drops?

May 7, 2007, 6:29 p.m.

Lou, why don't you work Saturdays? It makes dropping beer off a little harder, as I don't know if it'll fall into your hands.

May 8, 2007, 12:01 a.m.

OGC is doing a SPECTACULAR JOB with Fox!!!!

And as we grow as riders, and become more aware of the limitations of our equipment, we want more!!!!

Sometimes more is NOT AVAILABLE!!!!

Suspension tuning is finicky, its a matter of interpretaion. We want more progressivity in the spring rates, but how do you define that. The progressivity gets ramped up, but its not enough, or its too much.

It is a matter of trial and error.

Sometimes the service is done PERFECT. Most of the times its either a little too much, or not quite enough. And you have to pay each time! THAT SUCKS!!!

But thats the price….

Just my rant, dont want to offend, but thats the way it is…..

Crazy Lou :evil:

May 8, 2007, 12:16 a.m.

The Z1 Light without ETA is an Original Equipment fork from 2006.
I'm not sure which companies spec'd it but here's the poop:

Air in the RIGHT (Rider's Right as your sitting on the bike), Coil spring in the Left Leg.

It should have an air cap on both legs.

The right side is YOUR POSITIVE SPRING. It will enhance the spring on the the left side.
The Left side is is for Spring PreLoad and bottom out.

For a 200lb rider, I would set it up as follows:

RIGHT LEG: 50 psi
LEFT LEG: 10 psi

Adjust the right side leg to compensate for sag, WITHOUT GOING OVER 65 psi. Then you need a firmer spring in the left leg.
Adjust the left leg for Bottom out control. If you are bottoming the fork crank it to 15psi. If your still bottoming the fork, then you definetly need a firmer spring!

Hope that helps!

May 8, 2007, 12:29 a.m.

AVID:

I like Avid brakes…. If I wasnt a HOPE guy, I would definetly be running Avids!!!

I recently set up Eric Anderson, downhill racer extrordinaire, with Juicy 7 Levers and Code Calipers. 8 inch rotors on a FOES DHS 2:1.

I find the power from Juicy 7's to be HUGE and quite modulate - able.
Some disagree and feel the brakes are too ON-OFF.

According to SRam, power from their brakes goes up as the models. So a Juicy 5 is more powerful than a Juicy 3. A Juicy7 is more powerful, and the Code is their most powerful brake.

The Juicy Ultimate falls in between the Juicy 7 and Juicy 5, but its built to be their LIGHTEST brakeset (XC light).

So the answer to your question is NOBODY really needs a more powerful brake than the Juicy 5, But then again NOBODY REALLY NEEDS a LAMBORGHINI.

Pedal what you got! Buy what you can!
and ALWAYS RIDE IT LIKE ITS STOLEN!!!!!!

May 8, 2007, 5:31 a.m.

Surely somebody has questions about fork/shock setup and Magura brakes.

Why yes I do!

Marz AM 1-eta slowly creeps up when you have it activated….what gives?

Magura Louise FR-One piston doesnt retract very well,eventually causing serious brake rub..whaaddooIdo?

Pastor of Muppets

May 8, 2007, 8:52 a.m.

Surely somebody has questions about fork/shock setup.

Bring it on!!!!!

Well since you asked…

I've got a new 07' Boxxer WC. I have it setup mostly the way I like it, but I'm unsure about the gate setting. Is the gate just high speed compression? Is gate on = high speed compression damping on?

Right now the thing feels amazing for trail riding. I haven't taken it off anything large yet, and I worried about how it will react to large hits. I would like it to ramp up near the end of the travel. Any tips or advice?

Thanks Mr. Lou.

Kevin

:canada: :swiss:

May 8, 2007, 12:27 p.m.

Lou, I have some beers and I'm having a difficult time removing the floodgate locks on top (aka the caps). Do you have tools to remove these?
If I bring them by the shop on Thursday at 6pm, can you help me open them and remove the fluid? It might require some help from James and Mat etc…

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

May 9, 2007, 9:07 a.m.

Magura Louise FR-One piston doesnt retract very well,eventually causing serious brake rub..whaaddooIdo?

Hopefully Lou won't mind me butting in here.

I would check your pads Derwood. Unlike some other brakes - which can run quite well right down to the metal - Magura Louises (pre 2007 at least) don't retract well once the pads get worn. They may look okay but still need replacing in my experience. Amazing brakes in terms of modulation, adjustment and power but you need to keep an eye on pad wear.

May 9, 2007, 2:12 p.m.

Hopefully Lou won't mind me butting in here.

I would check your pads Derwood. Unlike some other brakes - which can run quite well right down to the metal - Magura Louises (pre 2007 at least) don't retract well once the pads get worn. They may look okay but still need replacing in my experience. Amazing brakes in terms of modulation, adjustment and power but you need to keep an eye on pad wear.

they look about the same as the rear,which retract properly,but I'll give that a whirl.

Thanks Cam.

Pastor of Muppets

May 22, 2007, 8:12 p.m.

Hey Stringer, about the TOTEM 2-Step…..

I would hold off a bit…..
Every 2-Step we have seen, about 5 or 6 of 'em, have reduced the amount of travel, as in the 2-Step travel adjustment is not working properly. These forks have all been replaced by SRAM (NORCO) but it happened in the replacement forks as well. SRAM (ROCKSHOX) is working on this problem, and they will have a permanent solution soon, just waiting for parts. But for now, I prefer the TOTEM SOLO AIR.