Obsession: Bikes introduces"Ask Crazy Lou"

Dec. 13, 2006, 11:55 a.m.

wtf? i'd like to know this too. not really. :P

but more i'd still like to know if you think it's ok to put a dc on an enduro. i want a new bike and that setup was always my favourite… but i never got a straight answer.

I'm not any kind of Lou, but I'd say no. Automatic warranty denial for starters, and the susupension isn't really tuned to balance that much front end travel. The secret to a sweet setup is to have the front and back of the bike in harmonious agreement. The sweetest Enduro setups I've tried all had Fox 36's on them.

If you gotta have the DC, what about an SX? Arent they a bit beefier up front?

37 YEARS ON THE BIKE :: 1981-2018

Dec. 13, 2006, 12:01 p.m.

Didn't crazy dale have a dorado on his enduro SX? Eh?

Dec. 13, 2006, 8:34 p.m.

A dual crown on an Enduro……

Depends on how big I guess….

The new STICKERS on the 2006 SX Trail frames say: Warranty not void for any SINGLE or DUAL crown fork that does not exceed 170mm of travel.

And the Enduro front end, as far as I can tell, or any answer I've gotten from California is the exact same forged head tube, formed top tube and hydroformed down tube as the SX Trail.

Putting an 8 inch (203mm) fork on the front end will kinda upset the geometry, way to much trail, causing the front end to drop when turning the handlebar. Too relaxed of a headtube geometry as well.

I have an Manitou Sherman Slider+ 170mm fork on my bike and I LOVE IT!!!! Recently Tyler Morland dropped of a RockShox DOMAIN 318 180mm fork for us to evaluate. Its on my Enduro right now. I've ridden it twice now. And while the fork does not feel exactly the same as the Manitou, it is not coming off my bike for a while!!!! Ride height remains the same, small bump performance will get better as it breaks in and I have yet to bottom it out.

All in all, Specialized doesnt mind a dual crown fork on this bike (170mm and under), it matches well with 150mm (2004-2006 ENDURO) or 170mm (ENDURO SX TRAIL), so go for it!

And all the 2007 ENDURO SL's will come with 150mm Dual Crown forks…….

Crazy Lou :evil:

Dec. 17, 2006, 3:14 p.m.

Neither…..

I'm the CRAZY MAN that used to greet you in the morning as I was leaving your mom's room…….

Dec. 17, 2006, 4:36 p.m.

Crazy Lou, I noticed that last friday night you were completely hammered at Raglans. Do you realize that in this intoxicated state you could be a stunt double for Bono?

Dec. 20, 2006, 9:41 a.m.

It's the 7803 he wanted not the 7800!

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Dec. 20, 2006, 5:30 p.m.

He probably wants a 6603 34.9 front derailleur to…….

Dec. 22, 2006, 3:35 p.m.

Lou,
Here's a couple of new mechanics for you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vkvRKyzr_Q[HTML_REMOVED]mode=related[HTML_REMOVED]search

The raw, primitive, unrefined trails that see little to no maintenance are the kinds of trails that really build skill. What kind of skills do you learn riding a trail that was made by a machine, groomed to perfection and void of any rocks, roots or other obstacles that could send you careening over the handlebars?

Dec. 24, 2006, 10:57 a.m.

Always looking to hire…..

They seen to have the right technique, good follow through….

Jan. 10, 2007, 9:10 a.m.

louie

what tires are best for riding on packed ice????? can't seems to get any traction on steep rock faces covered in ice.

:coffee: :coffee: :pizza: :pizza: :beer: :beer: rocket
fuel for free riders!

Jan. 13, 2007, 10:58 p.m.

Crazy Lou:

Will putting too thick a grease on my hub's pawls effect its performance?
I've heard you're only supposed to put a thin grease on, but I used some green stuff out of a Park tube…"polylube 1000".

Jan. 13, 2007, 11:37 p.m.

Crazy Lou:

Will putting too thick a grease on my hub's pawls effect its performance?
I've heard you're only supposed to put a thin grease on, but I used some green stuff out of a Park tube…"polylube 1000".

i dont think that would work to well as it is super thick. id think that you would want somthing like tri flow and just keep it lubed up as it would give less resistance? but i know nothing so wait for lou's answer

brokezors

Jan. 14, 2007, 11:23 a.m.

What kind of hub?

Exposed pawls are usually found on Formula, Campy, Saint, DT Onyx, Ringle, Mavic and others….

Using too thick of a grease will not allow the pawls to retract and engage consistently. I like using grease. What I usually do is mix up a little grease and Tri-Flow into a slurry. If the customer wants the pawls to be a little louder, I will either use more Tri-Flow to make the slurry thinner, or use a thick chain lube, Phil's or even Finish Line Wet.

Obsession: Bikes
Doing it right, right on time.

94 Lonsdale Ave. North Vancouver
Google Maps Link

Hours of Operation

Jan. 14, 2007, 12:33 p.m.

It's a DT Onyx.

Loudness isn't a priority for me…the thick lube seems to be working OK, and is actually very quiet.

Thanks! I've never thought of mixing grease and lube! If the grease becomes a problem, I'll clean it out and use a thinner solution.

Also…I'm having trouble seating my non-drive bearing on the Onyx. Is it permisible to put a light layer of grease on the inside of the hub shell and the outside of the bearing, to lube up the process?

Jan. 14, 2007, 12:59 p.m.

I always put a thin film of grease on every surface whenever I press in a bearing, headset cups, crown race, etc….

The only exception is when the manufacturer recommends loctite or other bonding agent….